Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

And the whole economic model of the Pearson train just doesn't make sense; there should be GO service to Pearson, to allow everyone to get to the airport, not just those who can afford a $50 round trip - which I imagine not too many Pearson workers will be able to afford.

The workers are one area that I would like to be dealt with by offering them a steeply discounted monthly pass (the GTAA should have the power to make that a requirement for connection to the airport) if they work at the airport. For the public, if you can afford a plane ticket - then you should be able to afford the full unsubsidized fare to the airport... if not, take the TTC.

they have been complaining about the cost (fare), the exclusiveness (rail rights) and the accessibility to members of the public (more stations) since the beginning.
They have, but now they seem to have started to focus on noise/smell and not-in-my-backyard complaints.

I'm starting to think the whole thing was totally NIMBY to begin with, and they were smart enough to know that would never work, so they tried to put a big expensive $ roadblock in place, with the level crossing issue - but now that has been dealt with, they've got no ammunition that's going to hit, so they are panicking, and showing their true nature (or perhaps the more rational ones aren't battling this any more, and all that are left are the Nimbys).

The workers are one area that I would like to be dealt with by offering them a steeply discounted monthly pass (the GTAA should have the power to make that a requirement for connection to the airport) if they work at the airport. For the public, if you can afford a plane ticket - then you should be able to afford the full unsubsidized fare to the airport... if not, take the TTC.
That seems fair - but then do you hit them with another $109 a month to take the bus to the train station? Somehow though, I don't see the Union Pearson Group going for it - have you seem many subsidized tolls for those who have to take the 407 to get to low-paying jobs?

I am telling you i have been throughout Europe by rail many times and no way anyone in their right mind would approve in this day and age this type of system that Metrolinx has proposed for Toronto.
I too have travelled by rail a lot in Europe; most of the trains I was on were diesel. Heck, even TFL is currently rebuilding some lines as diesel, because electrification is too expensive and difficult.

That whole industrial facility,business expansion,generator runs frequently,gall to complain is all Gibberish to me.
I'll simplify it. If one moves next to the widest rail corridor, leading to the biggest city in the nation, in an era of increased public transportation, then one isn't going to be taken seriously when one complains that service is going to be increased.

I am telling you i have been throughout Europe by rail many times and no way anyone in their right mind would approve in this day and age this type of system that Metrolinx has proposed for Toronto.
I too have travelled by rail a lot in Europe; most of the trains I was on were diesel. Heck, even TFL is currently rebuilding some lines as diesel, because electrification is too expensive and difficult.

That whole industrial facility,business expansion,generator runs frequently,gall to complain is all Gibberish to me.
I'll simplify it. If one moves next to the widest rail corridor, leading to the biggest city in the nation, in an era of increased public transportation, then one isn't going to be taken seriously when one complains about the noise and smell when service is going to be increased.

That seems fair - but then do you hit them with another $109 a month to take the bus to the train station? Somehow though, I don't see the Union Pearson Group going for it - have you seem many subsidized tolls for those who have to take the 407 to get to low-paying jobs?
How many airport workers would need a train from downtown anyway? Most would live in Etobicoke or Mississauga near the airport. I could see the Weston station getting some worker traffic, but that's getting close enough to the airport that there are feasible alternatives like the Malton bus (and eventually the Finch West and Eglinton LRTs).

^^ not to mention that there are many jobs on the west and north side of the airport that wouldn't be readily accessible from a rail station at T1 (unless gtaa starts running an employee shuttle)

The question was asked before but I don't think you answered - why shouldn't people using the airport have a subsidized fare like everyone else? Because they can afford to fly? By that logic people with high paying jobs in the financial district (GO's primary market) should be able to afford the full unsubsidized fare downtown...so we should stop subsidizing GO Transit altogether. Of course that argument makes no sense. Pearson is going to become a major transportation hub even for people who aren't flying, like many other airports around the world. So even if the argument about being able to afford to fly were valid, it's moot.

Besides, a GO spur to the airport could conceivably make a profit. After all, the GO system recovers 90% of its operating costs through the farebox, obviously some lines make a profit.

Last edited:
How many airport workers would need a train from downtown anyway? Most would live in Etobicoke or Mississauga near the airport. I could see the Weston station getting some worker traffic, but that's getting close enough to the airport that there are feasible alternatives like the Malton bus (and eventually the Finch West and Eglinton LRTs).
I was thinking Weston, and those who would change at Bloor-Dundas more so than downtown. But also with all the GO trains heading to Union, going a couple of stations to Union from Scarborough, and then a couple of stations to Pearson, is still only a 50-minute or so commute, if there are frequent trains.

(unless gtaa starts running an employee shuttle)
It does already doesn't it?

Besides, a GO spur to the airport could conceivably make a profit. After all, the GO system recovers 90% of its operating costs through the farebox, obviously some lines make a profit.

Probably all of the lines other than the two Lakeshore lines....think about it....all other lines currently have the vast majority of their trains full/overfull (ie. standing room only)....the two sides of the Lakeshore lines have many trains (the off peak and weekend ones) that run with an awful lot of empty seats.....on an operational basis, I would imagine those are the trains that drag the fare recovery below 100%.......if anyone advocates breaking subsidies, it should be on a line by line basis (ie. don't have the poor folks in Malton subsidise the commuter subway to Pickering)

They have, but now they seem to have started to focus on noise/smell and not-in-my-backyard complaints.

I'm starting to think the whole thing was totally NIMBY to begin with, and they were smart enough to know that would never work, so they tried to put a big expensive $ roadblock in place, with the level crossing issue - but now that has been dealt with, they've got no ammunition that's going to hit, so they are panicking, and showing their true nature (or perhaps the more rational ones aren't battling this any more, and all that are left are the Nimbys).

they have been focusing on the environmental impact (fumes) since the beginning also. i doubt they've given up on the other initiatives but the electric trains part seems like a more attainable goal to me since officials probably won't make it a public transportation line with many stops.

it is your opinion that the initiative is a nimby one but that doesn't make it so.

And the whole economic model of the Pearson train just doesn't make sense; there should be GO service to Pearson, to allow everyone to get to the airport, not just those who can afford a $50 round trip - which I imagine not too many Pearson workers will be able to afford.

$50 is excessive. I don't think anyone would pay that. Even Narita's bullet train is around $30 and the distance doubled. $15-$20 sounds more reasonable from/to pearson.

Why would Go charge so much it its like 5.00 one way to go to Malton ^^^

I think GO would love to have a direct Airport Link.

Plus the Pollution thing is stupid.

The hundreds and thousands of cars traveling in and around Weston cause far more pollution.
If they are so concerned they should block the 401.

they have been focusing on the environmental impact (fumes) since the beginning also.
Ah, but they seem to be using the use of trains (thus eliminating tonnes of automobile emissions) a bad thing. If they are so concerned about diesel fumes, why aren't they out there fighting the Mississauga BRT, which is upwind of Weston.

i doubt they've given up on the other initiatives but the electric trains part seems like a more attainable goal to me
I'd say it is far less attainable than trying to deal with the split between the CP and CN, or pushing the Liberal government on the 407-like Union Pearson Group. It changes the entire economics of the whole thing, requiring quick electrification from Union Station to Kitchener (to where GO is running an EA to expand the Georgetown line by 2011).

What,You must have been in the former eastern bloc european countries and not in any of the modern EU countries.
Buddy we are living in two different planets.

Back