News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 635     0 

Tim Hudak wins PC leadership - Who Will Be Premier in 2011?

Who Do You Prefer to Be Premier in 2011?

• Dalton McGuinty (Liberal)

Votes: 32 72.7%
  • Tim Hudak (Conservative)

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Andrea Horwath (NDP)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Frank de Jong (Green Party)

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters
I don't think that's fair. Why should we vote for a party with whose ideas we don't agree, just to get "noticed". That's what I hate about current federal politics, why must I vote conservative in order for the conservative government to spend any money in my riding. That's redicilous. I find that pretty partisan

Unfortunately, that's the reality of the system. And don't be so sure that the party you do vote for will do a lot for your riding either, if it's a 'safe' riding (which most in the 416 are for the Liberals). How much did the Liberals do for Toronto for the decade and a half they were in power? Yet it's amazing that somehow, they are automatically absolved of their sins by Toronto voters, every election. I agree with you that the Conservatives should do more to woo the city but I don't blame them for thinking it's a lost cause at times.

Look at what happened recently with transit funding. They agree to pitch in for a couple of transit city lines. Instead of showing any gratitude for the first significant federal involvement in urban transit in this region in a long time, Torontonians immediately fell upon how the funding was insufficient and how they weren't giving Toronto special treatment for its streetcar buy (never mind that Mississauga, Brampton, York region etc. all opposed special treatment for the 416). If you were looking at that as a Conservative, how compelled would you feel to invest anything beyond that little test run? If giving transit dollars actually gets enough complains to make you less popular, would you be willing to simply rain dollars on the city?

What I find striking is not that the Liberals sweep the 416, it's that they do it by such large margins when they really don't do much for the city when they are in power.

I think though in the Toronto area most people are centre or centre left anyways.

That's why they keep supporting the Liberals.

A lot of the recent conservative wins in the area are not really due to an increase in support for them, but a collapse in liberal support. My ridding saw the Conservative vote total stay the same but Liberal support fell by 4k votes.

I would imagine next election some seats will likely easily switch.

i hope he gets in.
especially for the development industry. approval processes, developoment charges, the implementation of new provincial planning policy.. have all gotten out of hand with dalton.
and tim isn't billing himself as a harris protege.. the star.. being such a pro liberal paper is doing that. all tim is doing is saying he stands behind the ideals he supported at that time.
i'm sure i'll get blasted on here.

i hope he gets in.
especially for the development industry. approval processes, developoment charges, the implementation of new provincial planning policy.. have all gotten out of hand with dalton.
and tim isn't billing himself as a harris protege.. the star.. being such a pro liberal paper is doing that. all tim is doing is saying he stands behind the ideals he supported at that time.
i'm sure i'll get blasted on here.

What kind of development is Dalton blocking? The City has seen a ton of highrise construction - though mostly residential under his term. If he's blocking sprawl in suburbia then, well, good on him. That's just good policy.

he's not blocking development. he's just convoluting the process. changing the development charges act. no issue with the greenbelt plan itself. or the growth plan. more with the implementation of both. sure all the crains are good signs.. but it's what they had to go through before they start consturction.

he's not blocking development. he's just convoluting the process. changing the development charges act. no issue with the greenbelt plan itself. or the growth plan. more with the implementation of both. sure all the crains are good signs.. but it's what they had to go through before they start consturction.

What exactly is your beef with the implementation of the Greenbelt Plan and the GPGGH?

What exactly is your beef with the implementation of the Greenbelt Plan and the GPGGH?

i understand it's a huge undertaking, takes majore political will but, with such significant implications.. they essentially drew lines on a map from queens park, moved those lines around based on major influence from Degasperis and the like.

once those base was in place, the lag time between the Built Boundary mapping took way too long, making policy interpretation impossible.

that, coupled with the fact that Ministry of Public Infrastructure Renewal staff didn't know how to interpret the policies.. nor did they give direction to the municipalities.

Back