265     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Transit Fantasy Maps

GO Suburban REX (aka Space Invaders)
enSNNDM.png

Inspired by the GO ALRT proposal, This would be a completely new crosstown express heavy rail line running almost entirely on publicly-owned land intended to get cars off the 401. The four branches of the line would meet in the middle and run frequent Crosstown service through the Finch Hydro ROW between Etobicoke North and Kennedy North

Inspired by the GO ALRT proposal, This would be a completely new crosstown express heavy rail line running almost entirely on publicly-owned land intended to get cars off the 401. The four branches of the line would meet in the middle and run frequent Crosstown service through the Finch Hydro ROW between Etobicoke North and Kennedy North

That looks great.

However, it should be noted that the Finch Hydro Corridor runs very close to residential houses in many places. Not sure whether those houses can be properly protected from the noise of heavy-rail trains, and how much local opposition this project can face.

Another minor note: Finch Hydro Corridor does not connect directly to Your U (only to some apartment buildings for students / staff). Either the North Crosstown station has to connect to Finch West subway station, and the riders take a short subway ride to reach York U; or, the Crosstown line will have to go underground and veer north to reach the centre of York campus.

Sheppard is pretty narrow from Yonge all the way to the West Don bridge; no space for 2 LRT lanes. I realized that my previous 1.5 km of tunnel number is incorrect; but about 800 m will be needed for sure.

Senlac is only is couple hundred metres from the bridge. The tail track extends to Senlac, which means that only a hundred metres or so of new tunnel will be required. The portal can come to grade right before the bridge.

Regarding the "true northern crosstown" notion, that definition would equally apply to a continuous Finch LRT line (W + E).

That's true too, although a Finch East LRT would make the Sheppard Subway even more overkill for that corridor than it is now. At least by having it as Sheppard on the east side and Finch on the west, it maximizes the utility of the existing Sheppard Subway.

How would you sell this to the public though?

1) Wait until the Eglinton LRT opens.
2) Sell it as the same type of continuous line that Eglinton is (will be).

It won't be politically feasible until Eglinton, because of the anti-LRT movement now. But I think once the Eglinton LRT opens, people will be a lot more receptive to the underground-surface combination along major corridors.

Last edited:
That's true too, although a Finch East LRT would make the Sheppard Subway even more overkill for that corridor than it is now. At least by having it as Sheppard on the east side and Finch on the west, it maximizes the utility of the existing Sheppard Subway.
True, but with a Finch East LRT, that would allow for the eventual shutdown of Sheppard. Finch East would also eliminate a transfer at Don Mills automatically and allow for a Bloor Danforth subway or SRT to reach Finch - McCowan or Morningside, which would provide even more relief the YUS Line.

1) Wait until the Eglinton LRT opens.
2) Sell it as the same type of continuous line that Eglinton is (will be).

It won't be politically feasible until Eglinton, because of the anti-LRT movement now. But I think once the Eglinton LRT opens, people will be a lot more receptive to the underground-surface combination along major corridors.

I hope so. Although Ford Bros will try to delay eglinton via burial (don mills-kennedy).

GO Suburban REX (aka Space Invaders)
enSNNDM.png

Interesting proposal. Personally though, I think using the 407 ROW would be a better choice than the Finch hydro corridor, for a couple reasons:

1) The ROW is already there and reserved for transit.

2) The 407 Transitway can act as both a precursor and a ridership gauge. The Transitway can be built with upgradability in mind, meaning that all of the necessary grade separations will already be in place. It also gives you a pretty good metric to see whether or not an upgrade to GO REX would be needed or not.

3) The Mississauga Transitway under your plan would also be upgraded, so it would maybe make sense to do that to the 407 Transitway too.

4) It would remove the necessity for the spur to Markham, as an alignment using the 407 would pass right through Unionville.

A couple more things:

1) I'd think that going to Milton would be better than Brampton for a western branch, because then a station could be just off the 401 at Trafalgar. With Milton it could act as a reliever to the 401, with Brampton it couldn't be. Also, with it running along the 407 through Peel and York Regions, all of the downtown-bound GO REX lines would intersect it, meaning Brampton would still be served anyway, albeit with a transfer at Bramalea. Ditto with Markham.

2) Without the need for a Markham spur, you can potentially have 1 branch go south to Pickering GO, and another one heading to the future Seaton GO. That way, there's an even number of branches at each end.

Very interesting idea though, and certainly worthy of examination for reducing cross-905 congestion.

True, but with a Finch East LRT, that would allow for the eventual shutdown of Sheppard. Finch East would also eliminate a transfer at Don Mills automatically and allow for a Bloor Danforth subway or SRT to reach Finch - McCowan or Morningside, which would provide even more relief the YUS Line.

Shutdown of Sheppard? But I thought subways lasted for 100 years :p.

I hope so. Although Ford Bros will try to delay eglinton via burial (don mills-kennedy).

Hopefully by the time that issue comes up they'll be long gone.

Interesting proposal. Personally though, I think using the 407 ROW would be a better choice than the Finch hydro corridor, for a couple reasons:

1) The ROW is already there and reserved for transit.

2) The 407 Transitway can act as both a precursor and a ridership gauge. The Transitway can be built with upgradability in mind, meaning that all of the necessary grade separations will already be in place. It also gives you a pretty good metric to see whether or not an upgrade to GO REX would be needed or not.

You do have a point here. The line would still somehow need to find its way from Renforth to the 407 ROW. The best alignment I see is still using the Hydro ROW to Keele and then turning north on the Barrie Line. This routing would still handle a lot of the load between York U and Square One. The trade off here would be that You'd no longer be serving NYCC if your move the line outside the Hydro ROW, and you'd be lengthening the all trips of everyone boarding at Pickering.

3) The Mississauga Transitway under your plan would also be upgraded, so it would maybe make sense to do that to the 407 Transitway too.

The Missisauga Transitway would actually remain and operate on a local level. I'd have the rail line running on the north side of the 403 instead of the south.

4) It would remove the necessity for the spur to Markham, as an alignment using the 407 would pass right through Unionville.

I wouldn't say it would eliminate the need for the spur, but it reduce the immediate need for it. Dowtown Markham could use the direct connection and the rail line is already in use almost entirely by GO.

A couple more things:

1) I'd think that going to Milton would be better than Brampton for a western branch, because then a station could be just off the 401 at Trafalgar. With Milton it could act as a reliever to the 401, with Brampton it couldn't be. Also, with it running along the 407 through Peel and York Regions, all of the downtown-bound GO REX lines would intersect it, meaning Brampton would still be served anyway, albeit with a transfer at Bramalea. Ditto with Markham.

2) Without the need for a Markham spur, you can potentially have 1 branch go south to Pickering GO, and another one heading to the future Seaton GO. That way, there's an even number of branches at each end.

Very interesting idea though, and certainly worthy of examination for reducing cross-905 congestion.

I do like the idea of GOing to Seaton. I could see a seaton line balanced with REX service on the UPX spur.

I'm not sure if REX service along the Milton line would be able to be reasonably negotiated with CP along their existing alignment through Missisauga. Square One is far too important a destination to be bypassed.

Senlac is only is couple hundred metres from the bridge. The tail track extends to Senlac, which means that only a hundred metres or so of new tunnel will be required. The portal can come to grade right before the bridge.

The tail track ends at Wellbeck. According to my measurement, it is 780 m from Wellbeck to the bridge (I used map.toronto.ca).

So I did some work on my transit map which was posted on the DRL thread. Mostly aesthetics, small adjustments, showing a completed line to St Andrew, and the addition of Laird/Millwood station. I have another copy, where in the blank space I included a lot of photographs of similar needed infrastructure. Looked a bit messy though.

DonLine.png

One reason I wanted to include many images is to show how commonplace and realistic many of my DRL components are - even within Toronto. The UPX and Georgetown South project is of interest because a rebuilt span over the Humber shares a lot of similarities to the Don Valley's Half-Mile Bridge, which forms the basis of my proposal to traverse the valley. Also included were rapid transit flyovers, which would be used to cross over the DVP; as well as concrete viaducts, like currently seen at Old Mill station.

Another project which could be built in conjunction is the Leaside Bypass, where Redway Rd is extended from Millwood to Bayview, offering Leaside residents calmer streets and road network improvements.

Utilizing the abandoned Don Branch corridor seems like a no-brainer; cost and time-savings being the key reason. The Metrolinx proposal of a DRL from St Andrew to Don Mills is 11.9km and costs $5.9bn (2012). A basic measurement of my Don Line comes in at 10.3km, with evident savings offered. Maybe I deluded myself a bit, but it looks promising to me at the moment.

Attachments

• DonLine.png
    DonLine.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 950
Great looking map and props to you on thinking outside of the conventional thought process behind the DRL routing. Perhaps something of similar nature will be seriously considered by Metrolinx and the TTC but this routing does raise a few issues:

1) Lack of connection to GO Lakeshore line
2) I'm no transit expert but with such a large amount of open air flyovers, bridges and the like, how does this affect maintenance costs given the extreme climates we experience here in Toronto? I'm sure maintenance of such structures will be more costly and time consuming compared to tunnels.
3) Effect on parkland in the Don Valley: Not sure how receptive area residents would be to such a proposal given the reduction of some this prime parkland.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I did some work on my transit map which was posted on the DRL thread.
You finally solve the long-standing problem of how to deal with the transit issue to the Brickworks by running an above-ground subway right next to it - allowing for the construction of a very cheap stop. But then you fail to include it on your map, instead creating the longest piece of subway in Toronto without a stop?

So I did some work on my transit map which was posted on the DRL thread. Mostly aesthetics, small adjustments, showing a completed line to St Andrew, and the addition of Laird/Millwood station. I have another copy, where in the blank space I included a lot of photographs of similar needed infrastructure. Looked a bit messy though.

One reason I wanted to include many images is to show how commonplace and realistic many of my DRL components are - even within Toronto. The UPX and Georgetown South project is of interest because a rebuilt span over the Humber shares a lot of similarities to the Don Valley's Half-Mile Bridge, which forms the basis of my proposal to traverse the valley. Also included were rapid transit flyovers, which would be used to cross over the DVP; as well as concrete viaducts, like currently seen at Old Mill station.

Another project which could be built in conjunction is the Leaside Bypass, where Redway Rd is extended from Millwood to Bayview, offering Leaside residents calmer streets and road network improvements.

Utilizing the abandoned Don Branch corridor seems like a no-brainer; cost and time-savings being the key reason. The Metrolinx proposal of a DRL from St Andrew to Don Mills is 11.9km and costs $5.9bn (2012). A basic measurement of my Don Line comes in at 10.3km, with evident savings offered. Maybe I deluded myself a bit, but it looks promising to me at the moment.

Thank you for posting. My concern with this type of routing is that some of the intermediate stations that are not connected to other transit lines will be severely underused, because they are far from where people live or work, in order to build it cheaply.

For example, you have a subway stop at Laird-Millwood. There's really not much in the area, and the Eglinton line would take a lot of the ridership in Leaside. The stop in Thorncliffe is further away from the residential towers and Fleminton isn't served compared to the conventional DRL routing. The high density areas in East York at Cosburn aren't served.

This does serve the "relief" function by connecting to Bloor & Eglinton, but I tend to prefer transit lines that have multiple purposes and serve the areas they run through as well.

Great looking map and props to you on thinking outside of the conventional thought process behind the DRL routing. Perhaps something of similar nature will be seriously considered by Metrolinx and the TTC but this routing does raise a few issues:

1) Lack of connection to GO Lakeshore line
2) I'm no transit expert but with such a large amount of open air flyovers, bridges and the like, how does this affect maintenance costs given the extreme climates we experience here in Toronto? I'm sure maintenance of such structures will be more costly and time consuming compared to tunnels.
3) Effect on parkland in the Don Valley: Not sure how receptive area residents would be to such a proposal given the reduction of some this prime parkland.

Thanks!
1) I know there are problems with the lack of connection with the Lake Shore line...and for that matter lack of service to Riverdale, Leslieville, and south East York in general. That's one of the biggest drawbacks IMO. In Metrolinx's DRL report a connection station was offered at Gerrard/Carlaw, the same locale where Stintz gave a DRL-infused election speech. However, the distance between this hypothetical Lake Shore line station is only about 1.5km to the Don Line's station at Gerrard/Dundas/River...not too extreme, and there is existing transit connecting the two. As for the Richmond Hill line, a short underground walkway to a Metrolinx-proposed River/Bayview station can easily be achieved.

2) There are three bridges, and one flyover. The southernmost bridge through Riverdale E + W can possibly use an embankment for much of its distance. However, I still firmly believe these pieces of exposed infrastructure would be significantly less to operate/maintain km-for-km than sections of tunnel or cavernous stations. Part of what spurred this idea was the difficulty and costs of tunneling under the Lower Don valley and river. This would involve deep tunnels, deep stations on either side, and probably pumps on standby for any potential flooding. Tunnel infrastructure can always be troublesome in a city like Toronto, where a porous subsurface gives rise to groundwater or road salt penetration; as well as surface undermining and flooding. Operations and maintenance is always an issue when going underground, which this attempts to remedy.

3) NIMBYism and opposition is a potential problem, for sure. But with the exception of a small allocation of Riverdale Park E + W and E.T Seton, much of the Don Valley stretch I don't think is fully classified as park space, rather loosely-labeled green space. Two sections are used by the City as emergency snow dump sites - they're scrubby, polluted, and not for recreational use. However, because of the route taken, significantly less land is lost than if this were to use Richmond Hill line. Any vocal opposition to noise on the surface or portal sections in Cabbagetown, Riverdale, and Leaside would be about on par with the UPX line, perhaps even less so. This can be remedied by noise barriers.

You finally solve the long-standing problem of how to deal with the transit issue to the Brickworks by running an above-ground subway right next to it - allowing for the construction of a very cheap stop. But then you fail to include it on your map, instead creating the longest piece of subway in Toronto without a stop?

The transit issue to the Brickworks was solved, it's an empty bus. I've been on it. It's a small tucked-away park, and there would be no station there. And the distance between Broadview and Laird is 3.1km. This is less than the 3.5km proposed between Kennedy and Lawrence East for a Scarborough Subway. It's sizable, but unlike Scarborough there literally is nothing in between.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting. My concern with this type of routing is that some of the intermediate stations that are not connected to other transit lines will be severely underused, because they are far from where people live or work, in order to build it cheaply.

For example, you have a subway stop at Laird-Millwood. There's really not much in the area, and the Eglinton line would take a lot of the ridership in Leaside. The stop in Thorncliffe is further away from the residential towers and Fleminton isn't served compared to the conventional DRL routing. The high density areas in East York at Cosburn aren't served.

This does serve the "relief" function by connecting to Bloor & Eglinton, but I tend to prefer transit lines that have multiple purposes and serve the areas they run through as well.

Very true. Cosburn and Pape and Leslieville/south Riverdale were the most difficult to drop for this routing. The stretch of East York from Danforth to O'Connor seems like it has exceptionally high redevelopment potential. High density pockets, large tracts of ugly houses with no historic value...it seems perfect to run a subway line. But is that section worth ~$1.5-2bn, if there are less expensive opportunities that can be pursued?

The Laird/Millwood station was added - not because of local pop. density - but because of surface connections. There are several bus routes, and one could easily transfer to the Crosstown's Laird station.

The Thorncliffe Station is within (or a shade over) 500m to the centre of Thorncliffe Park neighbourhood. Because the neighbourhood itself is built-up (and the low-density manufacturing/brownfield around the station isn't) the location seems appropriate. The potential opportunity for development and a large bus hub presents itself.

The distance from Don Mills/Eglinton to Flemingdon Park is similar. It's in the station catchment periphery, +/- a few hundred metres.

It can be called the Don King line........

Ha, in memento to Mike Tyson's visit perhaps. I actually had variations of King-Don, Don-King, River-King considered. Don seemed more apt for the sake of brevity.

Back