News   Apr 18, 2024
 294     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Ontario election predictions, anyone?

What I'm loving right now is that Rob Ford is guaranteed to be in deep shit. He threatened to sick Ford Nation on McGuinty and now that McGuinty is still Premier, Ford is going to have a very very rough remaining 3 years as Mayor. There's also the possibility that McGuinty could introduce recall legislation for Mayors if Ford doesn't play ball.

I'm lovin' that right now, too.

Recall legislation could not be retroactive to the 2010 city election, but still, the idea is enticing.

This day-after feels really good!

PS--I just realized now that I called it right, a Liberal minority. :)

Recall legislation could not be retroactive to the 2010 city election, but still, the idea is enticing.
Not that I'm in favour of recall legislation ...

... but the Provincial government can do pretty much anything it wants to in regards to municipal election laws. They could eliminate most of the mayor's powers quickly and make him no more powerful than a single councillor if they wanted. They could likely just legislate him out of a job and call a special election. I don't see that they would though.

McGuinty reaffirmed that he will not form any coalition or make any deal with any party. I think he's satisfied that with his 53 seats plus the Speaker, he'll have a majority. Either that or he has something up his sleeve in the way of getting NDP MPP's to cross the floor.

I voted Liberal for the first time ever. I usually vote NDP but I don't like Horwath and her promises, especially the ones to freeze prices at gas stations and electricity prices and remove HST on gas, which imo are just crazy and not really benefit the poor.

Btw, Stephen Harper and company got PWNED! I wonder what their effect their interference with the election will have.

Record low voter turnout in Ontario!

"With voter turnout in Thursday’s provincial election dropping to an all-time low, political scientists, pundits and the public are serving up explanations for why fewer than 50 per cent of eligible voters cast a ballot.

Of a population over 13 million, roughly 4.1 million — or 49.2 per cent of eligible voters — filled out ballots, according to Elections Ontario. The last time fewer than 50 per cent of eligible voters showed up to vote was 1975."

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-low-voter-turnout-raises-question-marks?bn=1

If online voting is implemented, we're going to see record HIGH turnouts but I'm betting that no Conservative government would want that because their demographic is older. Make online voting possible and you'll suddenly see a lot of 18 year olds casting their ballots on their iPads and iPhones. The NDP, Greens and probably the Liberals have the most to gain -- in that order.

Record low voter turnout in Ontario!

"With voter turnout in Thursday’s provincial election dropping to an all-time low, political scientists, pundits and the public are serving up explanations for why fewer than 50 per cent of eligible voters cast a ballot.

Of a population over 13 million, roughly 4.1 million — or 49.2 per cent of eligible voters — filled out ballots, according to Elections Ontario. The last time fewer than 50 per cent of eligible voters showed up to vote was 1975."

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-low-voter-turnout-raises-question-marks?bn=1

Do people just not care????

MetroMan, I don't know if online voting will get those 18 year olds voting or not. My kids are young adults, and they and their friends just don't see the point (despite my lectures to the contrary :)). I very much believe in the importance of voting, even if you don't vote for the candidate of MY choice. However, a friend of mine today totally dissed the "just get out and vote" movement, saying unless people are being strategic, they shouldn't vote in case they end up with an MPP who isn't a member of the governing party! Well, gee, should we only vote so as to give a majority government an even bigger majority????

I just heard through the grapevine that Joe Pantalone was approached and incessantly asked to run for the Liberals in Trinity Spadina before Sarah Thomson got the nomination. Too bad he said no, because I have no doubt that he would have swept away Rosario Marchese and we'd now be looking at a Liberal Majority.

If online voting is implemented, we're going to see record HIGH turnouts but I'm betting that no Conservative government would want that because their demographic is older. Make online voting possible and you'll suddenly see a lot of 18 year olds casting their ballots on their iPads and iPhones. The NDP, Greens and probably the Liberals have the most to gain -- in that order.

Its never been easier to get to polling stations and with advance polls gives you even more flexibility. Sadly a lot of people just don't care, even if there was online voting they still wouldn't vote.

I just heard through the grapevine that Joe Pantalone was approached and incessantly asked to run for the Liberals in Trinity Spadina before Sarah Thomson got the nomination. Too bad he said no, because I have no doubt that he would have swept away Rosario Marchese and we'd now be looking at a Liberal Majority.

Wha'? The way I see it, that incessant begging sounds more desperately pathetic on the Liberals' part--no wonder he said no...

I would have liked to see Joe return to service in Trinity Spadina. He was very well liked. I think he would have made a great Mayor and still could have if he could remain in public consciousness. If he tries to make a return, 4 years away from the public eye will be too many. I think he should have accepted the Liberal's offer.

Meanwhile, there were some PC strategists on the news last night that were openly admitting that they needed to craft better urban strategies to win future elections. It will be interesting going forward.

They already tried that last time with John Tory as their leader. We all know how well that worked out. To be fair though, if the whole stupid faith based school funding funding issue hadn't blown up in their faces the way it did, I think it's very possible that Tory would have defeated McGuinty last time.

I don't think there was a "nomination meeting" for the Liberals in Trinity-Spadina; I'm pretty sure Sarah Thomson was appointed.

It was a bad night for Rosario Marchese. He barely hung onto his "safe" seat. While Olivia got 35,000 votes in May, Marchese got less than 20,000.

For the first time, I didn't vote NDP. I voted for an independent candidate, and if that candidate wasn't running, I would have voted for Tim Grant. However I would have voted for someone like Jonah Schein or Cathy Crowe.

I'm hoping this is Marchese's last term. It would great to see someone young and energetic run for the NDP nomination, such as Karen Sun or Desmond Cole.

I would have liked to see Joe return to service in Trinity Spadina. He was very well liked. I think he would have made a great Mayor and still could have if he could remain in public consciousness. If he tries to make a return, 4 years away from the public eye will be too many. I think he should have accepted the Liberal's offer.

But it's the Liberals, not the NDP.

I can understand re Bob Rae or Glen Murray. But when it comes to the likes of Pants jumping political ship, you'd really have to wish for, I dunno, the NDP honouring Jack Layton's supposed dying wishes by winding itself down wholesale on behalf of a united opposition...

Back