News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 858     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

good to see the Ex, you know, exhibiting something. I'm surprised Siemens didn't play up their GTA connections more when bidding on the subway - they seem to have learned something this time around. That said I still think they'll get screwed again - Ontario doesn't seem to be a happy place for them, unlike Alberta.

Ahh, how I miss the old streetcars..They were absolutely gorgeous and had a real distinct sense of style.

With regards to my comments, oh 3 pages ago ( I mentioned that I didn't like the Minneapolis style streetcar)- I am purely referring to aesthetics here and I think its boxy and ugly. Also, I only mentioned that I didn't want for the TTC to choose this model- Not to mention that I am all in favor of better accessibility, and I have often questioned why it has taken us so long to finally do something about it.

p5

I noticed yesterday's Metro too Shawn! Pretty impressive.

I love the video. Is there any way to link it?

BTW, I really wish we'd start calling these new vehicles what they are. They are "trams," not streetcars. They are twice articulated and much longer than a "streetcar."

given that our streetcars (or whatever you want to call them) operate in mixed traffic, would a modification be required to the Siemens one since it's doors open sideways, therefore making it harder for cars to see that the doors have opened?

BTW, I really wish we'd start calling these new vehicles what they are. They are "trams," not streetcars. They are twice articulated and much longer than a "streetcar."

"Streetcar" and "trolley" are just the North American terms for "tram". There's no difference between the terms. Until articulations were developed all trams were single cars which might have been coupled together to form a train, like what we used to do here in Toronto before the Bloor Subway opened.

I'm sure that will change after the introduction of the new vehicles. We'll adjust, just like those Europeans...

Halle_ad_Saale_Strassenbahn.jpg

New streetcars - in a maroon and cream colour scheme. Something old, something new.

What are the safety implications of the low floor design? Since we run streetcars in mixed traffic here, won't a collision with a car or a truck be much more likely to cause injury to those inside than with the current tanks?

Overall, new cars similar to the ones showcased by Siemens would greatly improve the transit experience in the city, but we also need to do a LOT more in terms of signaling, traffic separation, enforcing transit lanes, etc, etc.

Exactly...like the stop at Victoria and King, a stone's throw from the Yonge Subway stop and Church St!

Bobbob - I believe the Ontarians with Disabilities Act means all new streetcars must be disabled accessible. That means lifts (slow) or low floor. There's a deadline for refitting existing streetcars.

I've wondered whether some existing streetcars could have their steps removed and be run on lines with high platforms in some places - maybe the Islands or the Zoo or somewhere like that for heritage purposes. Either that or gut them and make them cargotrams :)

Back