News   Mar 28, 2024
 51     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Tories target specific ethnic voters

Certainly not. In fact, I'd say that it's a very wise strategy if implemented correctly. I wonder what the conservative base thinks of it but I can't bring myself to wander over to Free Dominion to find out.

Knowing the operations of the Conservative Party I predict that in the end all this will come down to is some extra mailings to their database of "ethnic voters". People ("ethnic voters" or not) will continue to base their voting decisions on the same thing they always have. Six months from now (election or no election) this whole thing will have been either forgotten or whittled down to being the responsibility of some low-level secretary in the CPC, on her list of duties right after "filing", "coffee", and "tax receipt processing".

I've never thought of Jason Kenney as a natural for being a juniour minister for multiculturalism.

The irony is that it was widely believed that Tory would do better in the 905 than Harper does. In fact he did a lot worse. There were a lot of close calls in the last federal election in Mississauga and Oakville. The religious schools policy was such a disaster that it made them lose ground all over the region. The only seat the PC's picked up was Thornhill by a very narrow margin and they're unlikely to actually take that federally.

There is always a point where ethnic and religious minorities grow weary of being identified as just ethnic and religious minorities.

I am curious what is the other 21% of ethnic minority groups that the Cons consider as "inaccessible". Of course, revealing THAT would have been far more informative, IMO.

AoD

Certainly not. In fact, I'd say that it's a very wise strategy if implemented correctly. I wonder what the conservative base thinks of it but I can't bring myself to wander over to Free Dominion to find out.

I had a look. There were some old Reformers who seemed unable to distinguish between "immigrants" and "ethnic voters." He was corrected by a Jewish conservative who told him they're not the same! What a sick place.

Imagine the Tories making inroads among Sikhs...the Reform Party after all made a big deal about opposing Sikh RCMP officers from wearing turbans!

they tried to use the gay marriage issue as a wedge issue with the Sikhs, however the liberal incumbent was like the first Sikh in politics in Canada so he has enormous respect in the community and as a bonus he opposed gay marriage...

They also tried it in Navdeep Bains riding but he still 50% of the vote.

So far, Tory attempts have been flawed, however they are winning a few over with tax cuts...

However if you get a strong liberal leader (like Jean Chretien), they would all come back imo.

Well, it works in Alberta--but only because whatever your race/colour/creed, if you vote non-CCRAP in Alberta, you're weird.

As for Ontario, thanks no doubt to the AsperPost influence, it's only really worked (and continues to only really work) with Orthodox Jewry--note Peter Shurman's win in Thornhill, or the big jumps in Tory support in York Centre and Eglinton-Lawrence...

Thats right adma - it seems the Jewish community in the GTA seems to be following the US pattern where they go about 80% Democrat over all, but where the ultra-religious Orthodox Jewish enclaves vote Republican.

Harper's attack on a Sikh MP could certainly come back to hurt the Conservatives, and so can "Rosh Hashanah-gate" esp. if he's found to have violated people's privacy.

Another thing is the wave of xenophobia in Quebec in which the Tories are appealing to the ADQ phenomenon could also make them come across as intolerant.

Back