Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

5:05pm

6190198874_42bcfdbe7d_b.jpg

Those concrete boxes on the roof seem to detract from the elegance of the spire. I was also hoping the spire would have bolder, too. We'll see how it ends up looking when it's finished, though.

would anyone mind explaining what is being observed in the photos throughout the afternoon? Thanks :)
The stiffleg derrick crane is dismantling the tower crane. First, it removes the counterweight. Then it removes the jib, which is the front part of the crane, and is where the trolley & hook are. Finally it removes the counterjib, which is the back part and is where the counterweight sits.

Last edited:
How is the remaining work on the spire to be done? Will someone be climbing up there to do it.

The permanent work platform that will be used for servicing the spire in the future, will be used to perform the work on it. It's basically a wrap-around stage that goes up and down the spire.

How much longer til the spire is illuminated? will it be soon or are they just going to continue floor by floor til they reach the top?

Crane removal is pretty cool and something few get to see. I was really hoping someone would have captured and done a time-lapse type clip, but no such luck, I guess.

This will have to do (from Toronto's own Bell Lightbox):
[video=youtube;RAogX8KaL60]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAogX8KaL60[/video]

And this is what not to do with a crane:
[video=youtube;26AOKSnR0_w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26AOKSnR0_w&feature=related[/video]

And for kicks, what not to do on a crane:
[video=youtube;tz32kXTPZqU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz32kXTPZqU&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:
National Post asks if Trump will be connected to the PATH: Manager not sold on PATH to Toronto’s Trump hotel

The Trump tower did rough in a connection to the PATH, Mickael Damelincourt, general manager of the Trump Hotel Toronto, told me Monday. But today a wall blocks PATH users from entering the Trump. Mr. Damelincourt said he is not sure whether he will open the PATH connection to the Trump.

“If my guests arrive via the PATH they will take the elevator straight up to their room and we will never see them,†he notes. In the Trump vision of luxury, the guests enter the hotel and a hotel employee greets each guest by name before they go upstairs. Mr. Damelincourt does not wish to threaten this personal touch.

National Post asks if Trump will be connected to the PATH: Manager not sold on PATH to Toronto’s Trump hotel

Is this even an option? Are buildings connected to the PATH under some sort of legal obligation to provide access? Or can, say, Brookfield or FCP one day decide, you know, on second thought, we're closing the tunnels and you'll have to come in from the street as we want more foot traffic on that level. What's the governance structure of PATH? Is there one?

Is this even an option? Are buildings connected to the PATH under some sort of legal obligation to provide access? Or can, say, Brookfield or FCP one day decide, you know, on second thought, we're closing the tunnels and you'll have to come in from the street as we want more foot traffic on that level. What's the governance structure of PATH? Is there one?

Also, perhaps there's an issue of tresspass where private concerns are linked to PATH - you can access 1 King West from PATH and take the elevator up one floor and find yourself on the "private" residential side of the lobby, and you can stroll from PATH into the National Club, walk up the stairs and find yourself in the inner sanctum of that august private club. So I'm told.

Back