137     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, thats the issue, not the fact he used city letterhead to raise money. But the real issue will get lost

The real issue is your last point -- that what you call the "real issue" will get lost. Regardless of the law, going after Ford on this is terrible politics for the left. Whether it is actually petty, it will come across as petty, no matter how hard people try. Much better to let Ford dig his own holes. Make any headway with this court application and a thousand persecution complexes will bloom.

I agree. It will look petty - if he was accused of what the mayor of Mississuaga was accused of then it would be a different story.

Adam CF and his friends remind me of Ken Starr and the Republican attack machine that went after the Clinton White House. Clayton Ruby, gadfly though he is, should know better than to get involved.

If Ford loses the mayoral seat, what is the likelihood that we see a softer Conservative win?
Unlikely. Rob Ford won a by a good margin. Those voters will see the attempt to get rid of their guy as dirty tricks of the left. You might well see Doug Ford running and winning the mayor race.

Rob Ford won a by a good margin. Those voters will see the attempt to get rid of their guy as dirty tricks of the left.

I bet a healthy portion of them already realize what a mistake they made and aren't eager to make the same mistake again. Not all Ford voters were stupid...just naive.

Rob Ford won a by a good margin. Those voters will see the attempt to get rid of their guy as dirty tricks of the left. You might well see Doug Ford running and winning the mayor race.

I agree with your assessment of the likely result and the reason behind it.

While I am typing here, if Ford is guilty of something aren't all the members who voted to absolve him at City Hall also guilty of something?

I see CUPE is again doing its best to make sure Rob Ford gets elected. (Sigh.)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...y-hike-ban-on-contracting-out/article2367952/

In a news release Tuesday, the city detailed 10 of the enhancements the union is seeking.

They include:

> A ban on using volunteers, such as seniors and students, to do work usually done by CUPE Local 79 members.

> Protection against contracting out for temporary and part-time workers. Right now, only full-time, permanent employees enjoy such protection.

> Double time on holidays, up from time-and-a-half.

> A 15-per cent increase in shift bonuses.

> A 22-per cent increase in bonuses for part-time workers in old-age homes who consistently work on weekends.

These details come from managment, so there's some spin. But still.

if Ford is guilty of something aren't all the members who voted to absolve him at City Hall also guilty of something?

Um, no, not according to the very clear and rather straightforward law. A city council absolving someone of a requirement that a prior council imposed is perfectly legal. A councillor voting on an issue that financially impacts them personally is not.

It's really quite simple.

While I am typing here, if Ford is guilty of something aren't all the members who voted to absolve him at City Hall also guilty of something?
At the very least it will make them look like massive hypocrites if they jump on Mr. Ruby's crusade.

If anything, they would be now obliged to support the Mayor in this matter.

Originally Posted by spider

At the very least it will make them look like massive hypocrites if they jump on Mr. Ruby's crusade.

Many, many members of City Council would love to see Ford's body hanging from a light standard yet none of them have said a word with regard to this charge. I don't think hypocracy is muzzling them as much as a desire to cover their collective asses.

Holy crap, is the issue really so hard to understand?

The other councillors couldn't benefit financially from their vote -- Ford could. It doesn't matter that a majority thought he shouldn't pay back the money -- the abuse of power is voting to benefit yourself.

Honestly, is the concept of conflict of interest really that difficult?

Jeez...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back