News   Mar 28, 2024
 252     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 239     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 279     0 

HWY 410 extension from Sandalwood Pkwy to Mayfield Rd + more

Flipping through the 2008 MapArt Toronto Atlas I see the opening of this highway is stated as "Fall 2008". What changed? A year is a big difference!

For whatever reason, I think the opening was rushed (the election?). There's still no access from westbound Mayfield to southbound 410, and no direct access to Bovaird from southbound 410. Then there's the spelling mistakes.

Flipping through the 2008 MapArt Toronto Atlas I see the opening of this highway is stated as "Fall 2008". What changed? A year is a big difference!

For whatever reason, I think the opening was rushed (the election?).

Correct. Transport Minister Donna Cansfield was up in Brampton speaking to a local business group mid-summer and promised to deliver the highway ahead of schedule (and after the atlas went to press.)

410 Update:

They continue to put up steel columns for what I'm guessing is one of the overpass supports.

They are starting to grade the field north of Valleywood Blvd. Minor traffic delays result when they close the road to allow heavy equipment to cross the street. Nothing longer than about 30 seconds though.

Valleywood Blvd has its two curb lanes closed when construction workers are on duty. All traffic must use the two inside lanes during the daytime.

Highyway to Heyll

Went to see the extension for myself 2nite--still haven't fixed the Highyway sign

410 Update:

A construction worker was killed on the site on Monday in a construction accident. Understandably, there has been little activity since.

What's the problem with this picture?

Spelling error on road marker at Mayfield and 410 blamed on sign shop, but corrected version coming
Nov 02, 2007 04:30 AM
Jim Wilkes
Staff Reporter

It's their way or the highway.

Or is it "highyway"?

That's the only choice facing motorists exiting the new stretch of Highway 410 at Mayfield Rd. in the north end of Brampton.

Mayfield gets the correct spelling treatment on two signs – one on the Brampton side of Mayfield, the other on the Caledon side – but when it's time to point the way westward to Highway 10, spelling veers off into its own little world.

HIGHYWAY.

So how does something like that happen?

Twice. On separate signs.

"Oh, my gosh, that's unbelievable," said Jimmy Chong, highway engineer and project manager for Peel public works.

He said the signs were installed on region land by Ontario's transportation ministry.

They also put an extra "L" in a Sandalwood Parkway sign along nearby Heart Lake Rd.

But that problem was fixed with a bit of tape plastered over the offending letter.

"Highyway" needs something more than a patch.

Ministry project consultant Bryan Speedie said he didn't want to point fingers, but put the blame on a government sign shop in Toronto.

"The signs weren't originally part of the contract and when we opened the ramp at Mayfield, people didn't know which way to go," he said.

"We ordered signs, but when they came in they were spelled wrong. It was either put them up that way or not put them up at all."

He said new signs would be going up in the next day or so.

"When you see something like this, you wonder if the sign shop should have spell-check," he said.

Understandably? They have to stop work for 3-4 days?

Well the accident involved a grader rolling down a slope - so they have been noticeably absent from the site. Aside from a single pile driver, there's nothing at my end.

A man has died, and seeing as I'm paying for it for my tax dollars, I'm perfectly fine with a week's delay out of respect.

Is this close?

Is this close to where the 410 meets 10?

Attachments

• 410-extension.JPG
    410-extension.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 217

Back