Toronto West Harbour City | ?m | 36s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

I live there, and my walls aren't paper thin. Yes, retail is lacking, but it's a new area that is still being developed, and it will come -- heck, there's already a nail salon around the corner :) If we can just get that darned Loblaws built it will make a huge difference. There is also retail space in the new LTD condo that hasn't been leased yet, and the other condos being built seem to have retail planned. As for no pedestrians? Were you only here on a really cold night? There are always people walking around! I'm out every day with my dog, and I always see plenty of folks.

Oh -- and the park is supposed to be done this year.

I live there, and my walls aren't paper thin. Yes, retail is lacking, but it's a new area that is still being developed, and it will come -- heck, there's already a nail salon around the corner :) If we can just get that darned Loblaws built it will make a huge difference. There is also retail space in the new LTD condo that hasn't been leased yet, and the other condos being built seem to have retail planned. As for no pedestrians? Were you only here on a really cold night? There are always people walking around! I'm out every day with my dog, and I always see plenty of folks.

Oh -- and the park is supposed to be done this year.

Right on, great area and decent project
No matter what, there will always be individuals that will trash-talk the development that they live in.

Right on, great area and decent project
No matter what, there will always be individuals that will trash-talk the development that they live in.
Of course there will be. We knew the area wouldn't be finished for a while yet so we didn't expect instant retail. We love the access to the Martin Goodman Trail for recreation stuff, and the access to the Gardiner for travel. It's walkable to most things we want to do, so I'm close enough to the heart of the city but still plenty of green space and waterfront. But that's not everyone's cup of tea. Personally, I wouldn't want to live at Yonge & Bloor, but lots of people would.

I also think that a lot of people get caught up in marketing hype and truly believe all those pretty, glossy renderings that developers use, particularly when it comes to the neighbourhood renderings.

As for the building itself, it's still in the performance audit stage and deficiencies are being addressed as per usual with any new building.

Last edited:
I own in another Plazacorp project. No paper thin walls. good quality project. Much better than others I have seen at the comparable price point.

I have a friend whose mother bought her a condo here. I was there recently for a barbecue and she explained how awful this building actually is. The walls are paper thin

You obviously have never lived in a condo before. The walls in WHC1 are far from paper thin. Just have a look at the construction photo from Google Maps. There is a thick concrete wall between each unit unlike some where you do not get an entire concrete wall dividing units.

25ku0t3.jpg

and finishes are of low quality. Amenity space is sub-par but the party room is quite nice. The elevators are horrible, again low quality. And also appears to be a problem with the poorly designed service elevator area as it has basically become a wind tunnel.

You have to be joking? Name another development in the same price range that offers granite counters, under-mounted sinks, engineered hardwood, balcony, marble washroom as standard finishes. Perhaps your friend's mother needs some lessons in how to take care of, and clean, a condo?

My friend was thoroughly disappointed by this building overall. She also complained about the lack of retail and boring streetscape and says because of this, no one on the area even bothers to walk around. Well that explains why there's no pedestrians. This project and general area is a disaster in terms of urban planning.

As mentioned, its a new area. One cannot expect retailers to flourish to an area where there are barely any people living. There will soon be a Loblaw Superstore at the foot of Bathurst and Lakeshore which should add quite a bit to the area. That being said, the waterfront is a place to run/bike along the lake. Its not meant to be a SmartCentres big box development. If thats what your friend is looking for, then she should move to Mississauga by Square One. She clearly did not research the area before she bought.

Honestly, the majority of these buildings are built the same. Basically, built up to code and nothing more. Cement walls aren't really soundproofed that well. 8 inches of concrete doesn't block out as much sound as you would think. So basically, the difference is in the finishes and the overall design of the building. Plazacorp is a quality builder. Very bland looking product but the construction is pretty solid.

Back