Toronto The Livmore | 138.68m | 43s | Vertica | IBI Group

But the city needs this to break from the monotone all glass design that's plaguing this city.
However, everyone i know in Montreal is dying for an all glass building to break from the monotone red brick design of that city.
Brookfield Place? What's wrong with that design?

I think this will be a great addition. The next super tower should go up across from the Bus terminal on Bay. Only large enough site around here. Liberties must feel like ants among giants. With everything larger in its vicinity. WIth Sick Kids Research building across, this area is really booming. Does anyone know what happened to that zoning amendment that was on the corner of bay and grovsnor, where the old Canada Publications building was? It was there two summers ago i believe.

No chance of a super tall north of the bus station. The view of City Hall would be impacted massively. And many people on the forum like Brookfield Place. ROCP not so much.

One possibility: to see something a bit svelte, misty and mysterious go there to offset the general blockishness of the area.

softrender.jpg

softrender2.jpg

^ These two drawings are just fantasy sketches, and don't reflect any known plan for the site.

If this is going to impact on the view up Bay past City Hall Clock tower, though, it'd better be refined and unobtrusive...and getting a refined box is probably the fastest route to satisfying everybody. I do hope whatever goes up here, that the architectural quality of it will be high.

Last edited:
I think for once in my life I'm hoping for a simple glass box. Why? Because there is an opportunity here to undo the harm College Park had on the old city hall view terminus. Even if just the upper floors were a simple glass curtainwall it would block off the view of college park from Front & Bay, and all we'd see behind the old city hall tower is a reflection of the sky - it would be almost invisible!

Just a thought. Regardless I hope they do a nice job at street level to help gradually liven up Bay St. I'm excited to see more :)

Nice idea! but i guess we will believe it whenwe see it right!

Signs have been put up on the site to describe the proposal, but I didn't have my camera... it's similar to the newer towers in the area, as far as I could tell.

Last edited:
Funny thing is, if you go back in the ROCP thread you'll be quite surprised to see some of the forum members who were praising them at the time of their completion.

Personally I thought ROCP looked good on paper, needless to say I didn't feel the same after I saw the quality of the materials they were actually using. As much as I welcome alternatives to glass, the cladding on ROCP, which more closely resembles sheet metal that you'd find on a warehouse, is not the way to go.

This design would be GREAT .... thumbs up to the fluid geometry, however I highly doubt anything similar this will be built in our otherwise conservative architecture ... and yes you are probably correct that likely nothing more than a 'refined' box will get built ~ :(

This design would be GREAT .... thumbs up to the fluid geometry, however I highly doubt anything similar this will be built in our otherwise conservative architecture ... and yes you are probably correct that likely nothing more than a 'refined' box will get built ~ :(

It will be a box, according to the elevation drawing I saw this morning on the development notice signs that have been put up on the site.

Did it say who the architects were? Anyone down by Gerrard who can snap a pic. of the rendering?

I'm curious to see who the developer is. I thought the Delta Chelsea folks owned this piece of land.

I think we likely want something simple here. If we can provide Old City Hall's clock tower with a minimal (but still handsomely proportioned) glass box positioned behind it, then we can correct the wrong that was done to the clock tower vista when those horrid RoCP towers were erected.

Back