News   Apr 19, 2024
 121     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 471     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 818     3 

G Road Test Tips

Has anyone ever taken their G2 exit test at Port Union? My test in in three weeks and I'd like to know what the route might be.

I just let a friend borrow my car for his G1 to G2 road test in Aurora. It was his second attempt, and he failed. The straw that broke the camel's back was that he had an advanced green and as he entered the intersection it turned yellow, so he hit his brakes even though he was already in the intersection. My experience with the Aurora one is that they are tough, but fair. I got my G2 on my first try, but it took two tries to get my G. First time I failed was because I ran a yellow, which I admit I shouldn't have done, but he also nixed me for not checking my mirrors regularly or intersections to make sure the way was safe. My younger brother failed his G road test because he did not move into the right lane (not sure if there was other factors involved though).

Anyways, doing some Googling on the subject, I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there anyway to complain about a bad instructor or appeal a fail? Testers are human too, and they can make mistakes about judgement calls. What if you feel that the instructor failed you because he told you to do something you felt was unsafe? Shouldn't there be avenues to appeal his decisions? At the very least, there should be some way to log complaints against a tester so if there are a number of them, action can be taken.

2. My friend plans to try again at Aurora, against my recommendations. If he fails again, I am going to insist that he takes it somewhere else if he wants to use my car. I'm thinking either the Barrie or Lindsay/Kawartha Lakes locations. The latter looks like it would be easier as it is a fairly rural community, but according to the Star, Barrie has a lower fail quota (http://www3.thestar.com/static/googlemaps/starmaps.html?xml=081128_drivertests.xml). Anyone have any ideas as to which one could be better? Also worth noting that my friend is Chinese, so are either of these two locations known for racist testers?

Hi, I am about to do my G test. I read all the threads and they were quite helpful. I am not a fan of the highway!

Does anyone know the route and/or tips for the Downsview test centre? Help please!

I agree

Yes I agree with the Vic Park/ Lawrence centre. They fail you for minor infractions. Never give your test there!!. Today I gave my G2 (I have been driving for the last 5 years with absolutely no accident at all, so how could I have failed?

for today's test, I was taking a left turn. I was second in line and was behind the line, when the car in front of me took a left, I moved ahead. When the lights turned yellow, I did not take a left because there was car still moving through the intersection. Note that I was already ahead of the line waiting to take a left. The lights turned red, so I moved to go and my test driver yelled 'STOP'. What could I have done?. He wrote on my paper that I failed to obey the signal.

Test passed

I came on this site this morning to look at the tips section. Very helpful! Took my G test at the vic park & Eg center and passed first try. Instructor was a really nice black guy named craig (i think). We just talked about his kids and joked the whole time. I think it's key to let them know u get very nervous "whenever u take tests" :) worked for me lol. He clearly was tryin to keep me talkin so i wouldn't be so nervous. Anyway, only advice i can give has been said:

-check ur mirrors all the time
-always check ur blind spots, turn ur head whenever merging or lane changing
-stay in the right late unless told otherwise
-dont speed, at all, unless told otherwise, stay a few km under the limit (not 10 lol)

If you do that and follow the basic rules you should be fine!

Good luck!

Hello, I have my final G Road test next week at the Downsview Drive Centre.
I had trouble with my G2 Road test but I partially blame not being able to practice with my father's car so I joined Yong Driver's school but was only able to take 1 lesson a week so I never really got a good feel of actually driving consistently.

Since then I immediately bought a car and have been driving since then daily and on highways. I've read this thread already but still kinda anxious about the test.

What are the little things they will be on the lookout for? How about right turns on red lights?, too risky, don't even bother?

On the highway can I go like 5km/h over the limit or keep it as close as possible?
Should I call out my actions, to let him/her know my thought process or just shut up and listen to their instructions? I will be using my own car and I have minor damage on my car(scratches etc) will that cause a problem. If I do fail the test I can drive home on my own?

I understand that i have to use turn signals on everything and turn my head and look around like I'm on drugs, any other pointers?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance everyone.

Yes I agree with the Vic Park/ Lawrence centre. They fail you for minor infractions. Never give your test there!!. Today I gave my G2 (I have been driving for the last 5 years with absolutely no accident at all, so how could I have failed?

for today's test, I was taking a left turn. I was second in line and was behind the line, when the car in front of me took a left, I moved ahead. When the lights turned yellow, I did not take a left because there was car still moving through the intersection. Note that I was already ahead of the line waiting to take a left. The lights turned red, so I moved to go and my test driver yelled 'STOP'. What could I have done?. He wrote on my paper that I failed to obey the signal.

I find that strange because the Lawrence/Vic Park location is kinda known for being easy.

Just as an example, I was speeding during my exam (50 in a 40), the examiner pointed it out, I apologized, slowed down, and still passed. I also had other mistakes.

I guess it depends on who you get.

I am new in Canada (2 months to be exact) and I have my G1 license. Today at 12 noon i'll have my Full G drive test at St. Catharines, Ontario. Thank you for sharing your experience and please pray for me that I pass ;)

I am new in Canada (2 months to be exact) and I have my G1 license. Today at 12 noon i'll have my Full G drive test at St. Catharines, Ontario. Thank you for sharing your experience and please pray for me that I pass ;)

Happy to share that I pass my Road test (from G1 to Full G)...

G2 (Exit) Road Test Checklist

I know this thread is kinda old, but it seems to be the latest discussion regarding the Ontario G License system, and I wanted to post a Hi-Res scan of the test sheet for those who were very nervous like I was, prior to reading the tips here.
Thanks, and hope this helps.

Click for larger view)

This is a scan from an up-to-date checklist (excluding top portion where name and other information is written down before the test, and the bottom portion which contained nothing relevant,) given when you complete your test. This is what they're currently using as of January 09, 2013.

EDIT: I'm including mirrors of the scan in case the link above goes down.
Enjoy:

Code:
http://imgur.com/3Q1XA
http://Pictat.com/t/2013/1/9/10683scan0001.jpg
http://theimagehost.net/upload/dfe02828877f5032df6ac2fecb6da3ed.jpg

Last edited:

Back