Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

^^Times Square is actually ground zero for crappy retail, though it has a couple standouts. I agree that for Yonge at least up to College it would be great to see improved retail spaces. No need for it to be high end, but improved spaces (Bed Bath and Beyond is not high end, but it requires good retail space). Below Dundas the retail space is a bit higher quality, and north of College (although really it is north of Wellesley) the small, independent retail and restaurants are a bit more established. Would love to see more flagship stores along Yonge, like Aura brings.

As crappy as it may be, it's still far better than what we have now.

IMO, the Times Square area was so much more interesting and fun until Giuliani Disneyfied it.

There are a lot of crappy shops along Younge. I'd like to see an upgrade. If it's going to be our "times square" we should have better retail. Something similar to St. Catherines street in Montreal. But I don't think Younge will ever look that good.

Well retail wise, everything on St. Catherines can be found in the Eaton Centre except for Simons. And the Eaton Centre still has other good stores you can't find anywhere in Montreal. And St. Catherines is not exactly a shining example of streetscape. It's pretty darn ugly. St. Denis is a much better example.
But yes, Yonge needs a really good scrub from Dundas to College.

What are the chances the retail part of Aura will be opened this summer?

Though the panels appear a little small, I actually like this cladding. It may not be on par with Four Seasons/Shangri La/Ritz/etc., but it's still nice in its own right :) Glad this monster won't be an eyesore, that's for sure...

I am dismayed by those silver horizontal stripes all over the podium. They remind me of the "decorative" stripes they used to apply to the sides of sporty cars in the 1970s. This 1970 Oldsmobile, for example.
1970_oldsmobile_cutlass_w31.jpg

Back