News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 858     0 

Wealthiest Neighborhood?

Interesting to see this one come back. I have the census information now, and was just looking at some of that info. Here are the ten highest income census tracts in Toronto:

0264.00 (Bridle Path) - $314,107
0265.00 (Lawrence Park) - $251,945
0140.00 (Allenby) - $245,592
0087.00 (North Rosedale) - $239,668
0266.00 (Hoggs Hollow) - $222,560
0130.00 (Forest Hill) - $174,602
0138.00 (Lawrence Park) - $171,033
0086.00 (South Rosedale) - $165,827
0125.00 (Moore Park) - $154,825
0230.01 (Humber Valley Village) - $152,276

I believe these are per capita income figures (median family income could be another measure).

A minor quibble - your Rosedale tracts are reversed - 86 is North, 87 is South. And 140 is Lytton Park west of Avenue Rd.

My dream neighbourhood is still Rosedale. The homes there are ample in size and you can't beat the convenience - you could literally walk downtown from many parts of Rosedale (although I doubt many Rosedalians walk lol). The tree-lined streets with mature tree canopies are just so beautiful. Moore Park would be my second choice - just to the north of Rosedale with slightly smaller homes. It's so pretty and peaceful in those neighbourhoods, you'd never know how close they are to downtown.

Let's make this thread a little more interesting... what's the wealthiest neighborhood in Scarborough? I want to know where Scarborough's royalty lives. And please don't say "penthouse at one of the STC condo buildings".

What's the neighbourhood between Hunt Club and Victoria Park called? (well, I call it the Beaches ...).

By the census tract, the wealthiest areas in Scarborough:

1). 339.0 (Birchcliff/Fallingbrook) - $58,120 - 75th highest in Toronto
2). 361.1 (Centennial/Port Union) - $54,837 - 83rd highest in Toronto
3). 802.2 (West Rouge) - $48,971 - 98th highest in Toronto
4). 334.0 (Cliffcrest) - $48,100 - 102nd highest in Toronto
5). 375.0 (Tom O'Shanter-Sullivan) - $45,452 - 118 highest in Toronto

There would be individual streets and blocks that would be quite a bit wealthier. The tracts along the shore contain both manors overlooking the bluffs and the apartments and small houses along Kingston road. If you were to take just the portion along the bluffs I'm sure the numbers would be a lot higher.

Last edited:
By the census tract, the wealthiest areas in Scarborough:

1). 339.0 (Birchcliff/Fallingbrook) - $58,120 - 75th highest in Toronto

That's it? $58,000?!! I don't even know how you can comfortably raise a family on that income in a city this expensive. And that's the RICHEST in Scarborough. Amazing. Is this pre-tax or after-tax income?

It's pre-tax income. Average pre-tax income for people above in Toronto is about $40,000.

There are several caveats. All these numbers are for everyone above age 15. Overall only about 66% of the population has a job of some sort. There are a lot of teenagers and university students who don't work most of the year, and at the other end many retired seniors. Both of these groups would fall considerably below $40,000 per year, but are also unlikely to have a family to support. For people who work full time, the average income is about $70,000.

These are also numbers by individual, most households have more than one person. The average household also has 1.8 people over 15. That puts the average household income at $72,000.

It's pre-tax income. Average pre-tax income for people above in Toronto is about $40,000.

There are several caveats. All these numbers are for everyone above age 15. Overall only about 66% of the population has a job of some sort. There are a lot of teenagers and university students who don't work most of the year, and at the other end many retired seniors. Both of these groups would fall considerably below $40,000 per year, but are also unlikely to have a family to support. For people who work full time, the average income is about $70,000.

These are also numbers by individual, most households have more than one person. The average household also has 1.8 people over 15. That puts the average household income at $72,000.

Thanks for the insight! $70,000 seems like a more reasonable average income. Now assuming that about 1/2 of families have two working parents you get an average family income of about $105,000. This is much closer in line with where I thought it should be.

Let's make this thread a little more interesting... what's the wealthiest neighborhood in Scarborough? I want to know where Scarborough's royalty lives. And please don't say "penthouse at one of the STC condo buildings".

I'm confused about why you even asked. Did you think there were no rich people in Scarborough? Have you been to the bluffs?

I'm confused about why you even asked. Did you think there were no rich people in Scarborough? Have you been to the bluffs?

Did I think there were no rich people in scarbro - no, but I didn't know which neighborhoods the rich, or "near-rich" lived in, since the neighborhoods in scarbro i've visited were very "scarlem"

Have I been to the bluffs - nope! :)

Simon P - you are an absolute troll. Does your way of feeling smug about yourself lie in demeaning Scarborough?
For the information of the misinformed and rather naive individuals on this forum - the average incomes of residents in the
birchcliff, centennial, and west rouge areas in Scarborough are between $130,000 - $170,000.

Where did you get your information from Simon P? Evidently your information (based on census data profiles from StatsCan)
you pulled from census data tracts are CORRECT for all the neighbourhoods OUTSIDE of Scarborough, but purposely and MALICIOUSLY
understated for the neighbourhoods in Scarborough for WHATEVER reason.
Are you a WASP who is out to demean Scarborough & make yourself feel good? Are you enjoying smelling your own farts Simon?

If anyone wants any specific info, do not hesitate to email me. I currently work for the CD Howe Institute and am a former employee
of StatsCan. And yes, I am a happy resident of Port Union in Scarborough. And yes, I purposely created an account 10 minutes ago
to set the record to straight.

Last edited:

Back