News   Mar 28, 2024
 364     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 711     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

Toronto’s new subway trains delayed

Published On Thu Dec 23 2010
dfbcf4d3453a971f18fe75b8cd6d.jpeg
The new Toronto Rocket trains were unveiled in October to much fanfare, but patrons anxious for a ride will have to wait longer than expected.
RICK EGLINTON/TORONTO STAR
Tess Kalinowski Transportation Reporter

Deal of the Day

to wait a little longer than expected.

The first of the new trains was originally promised for revenue service by January. Now transit officials say it will be at least February before Toronto gets a taste of its new ride.
The first of the six-car trains was delivered in October to much fanfare, complete with a photo op of former mayor David Miller on the platform at Downsview station.
But that was just for show. TTC officials hastened to explain that the trains still needed testing to make sure they were mechanically sound and could safely take the curves in the tunnels.
“Testing and commissioning continues. Obviously we won’t operate a new vehicle with passengers until we’re 100 per cent satisfied with all aspects of its operation — safety and reliability,” said TTC spokesman Brad Ross on Wednesday.
“Rushing testing and commissioning is not something we’d do,” he said, adding that the TTC won’t be shy about announcing when the new train goes into service.
Seventy trains, each with six cars, are supposed to be delivered by November 2013. Two are here now.
The Toronto Rockets are being built by Bombardier in Thunder Bay for about $1 billion.
They have a wide open galley, accommodating about 10 per cent more riders, and users may walk the full length of the six cars unhindered.
The trains, which will run on the Yonge line, have enhanced accessibility and security features.
When the Rockets are combined with the TTC’s new computerized signaling system by 2015, it will be possible to run trains every 90 seconds at rush hour, compared with about two minutes now.
http://www.thestar.com/news/transportation/article/911164--toronto-s-new-subway-trains-delayed?bn=1

Thie article mentioned the new signalling system to be in place by 2015 and the fact that these new trains can hold 10% more passengers. I wonder if this is going to make that much of a difference on the Yonge line. The new signalling system is going to close up the headways from the present 2 min (120 sec) to 90 seconds. Hope this is enough to ease the crowding and passengers having to let trains pass because of crowding.

Last edited:
Thie article mentioned the new signalling system to be in place by 2015 and the fact that these new trains can hold 10% more passengers. I wonder if this is going to make that much of a difference on the Yonge line. The new signalling system is going to close up the headways from the present 2 min (120 sec) to 90 seconds. Hope this is enough to ease the crowding and passengers having to let trains pass because of crowding.

Even with the new signaling and new trains, using Metrolinx numbers, it will only decrease the congestion on the Yonge line by about 3% by 2031 (I used that number in an article I wrote a while ago, I forget the exact numbers I used to get that number. I believe I calculated the current theoretical capacity vs operational capacity, to determine the % of theoretical capacity left, and then compared that to the same calculation done for the 2031 numbers). In any case, 3% by 2031 is not that big of a difference. It may be greater in the short term, but in the long term, a decrease of 3% over current ratios is a band-aid solution.

EDIT: Here is the exact quote from my article:

"Toronto’s rapid transit network servicing downtown is at or near capacity. In 2006, the Yonge subway south of Bloor carried an average of 28,000 peak-hour passengers, with a capacity of 30,800 peak-hour passengers... By 2031, improvements to the Yonge subway (such as signal improvements and new rolling stock) will increase the overall capacity of the line to 48,048 peak-hour passengers an hour. However, demand is also projected to increase to between 39,000 (the TTC’s estimate) and 42,000 (Metrolinx’s estimate) peak-hour passengers. Even with the capacity improvements in place, the overall level of congestion on the line is expected to decrease by only 3.5 percent."

Last edited:
At Wilson Station this morning, I spotted a train in testing. I managed even to get some photos.

I like the juxtaposition. TTC past and future, next to a decommissioned GM New Look bus.

Hi,

Question: I just read on the TTC website that there are about 700 subway cars in total; with the Spadina extension, I'm assuming the number of total cars may rise (perhaps to 750)? If 70 new train-sets will be around by the end of 2013 (which would equal 420 subway cars), will the remaining 300 odd cars (which will likely run on the Bloor-Danforth line) ever get replaced? I've never seen anything mentioned about that. If yes, then by which year will they all be replaced? If no, well...why not?

Comment: I know of the interior improvements of the new trains but to be honest, I don't like the way the new trains look from the outside...there's not enough windows and it still looks too 'old-skool' (perhaps that's intentional but I still don't like it). It doesn't look 'futuristic' enough....

Hi,

Question: I just read on the TTC website that there are about 700 subway cars in total; with the Spadina extension, I'm assuming the number of total cars may rise (perhaps to 750)? If 70 new train-sets will be around by the end of 2013 (which would equal 420 subway cars), will the remaining 300 odd cars (which will likely run on the Bloor-Danforth line) ever get replaced? I've never seen anything mentioned about that. If yes, then by which year will they all be replaced? If no, well...why not?

Comment: I know of the interior improvements of the new trains but to be honest, I don't like the way the new trains look from the outside...there's not enough windows and it still looks too 'old-skool' (perhaps that's intentional but I still don't like it). It doesn't look 'futuristic' enough....

Obviously the T1s will have to be replaced at some point, we haven't yet invented trains that magically last forever. Noone knows when they'll be replaced because new trains cost hundreds of millions of dollars, which if you haven't noticed, has been in pretty short supply at the TTC lately.

Hi,

The T1's will be due for replacement at then end of their 30 year lifetime. Never 'assume' anytthing when it comes to public transit and municipal governments. The TR train was designed with functionality in mind, not pleasing aesthetics for your eyes... too bad if you don't like it.

Obviously the T1s will have to be replaced at some point, we haven't yet invented trains that magically last forever. Noone knows when they'll be replaced because new trains cost hundreds of millions of dollars, which if you haven't noticed, has been in pretty short supply at the TTC lately.

LOL, I know, I was wondering when the replacement time frame for those cars will come (i.e. 2015-2018, etc.)? TTC has been short of money for the longest time so you're incorrect in saying that it's "lately"...and it'll likely always be short of funds.

The T1's will be due for replacement at then end of their 30 year lifetime. Never 'assume' anytthing when it comes to public transit and municipal governments. The TR train was designed with functionality in mind, not pleasing aesthetics for your eyes... too bad if you don't like it.

OK, so when is the approximate 30 year lifetime expiring (I don't know but if you do, do tell!). :) I don't assume anything good when it comes to transit.....
I'm glad that functionality was in mind at the time of design but that must be the case with other transit systems too I'm sure??? They could've tried to do both, functionality and eye-pleasing....I was merely expressing my opinion, I know it's too bad if I don't like it (I wasn't complaining). And it's too bad for the millions of commuters as well as I'm sure many will not like it (although they will be glad that newer cars will be introduced to the system).

Back