Toronto Waterlink at Pier 27 | 43.89m | 14s | Cityzen | a—A

I think if we're going to talk about whether or not a particular waterfront is a "success" or not, we have to be clear about the goals.

Miami Beach, south beach in particular, is certainly a great place with a superb beach, but it's not a neighbourhood--it's a tourist destination. I have family that lives just north of south beach and they never go down there because they can't stand all the tourists.

The city and Waterfront Toronto are trying to create more of a live, work and play destination. So, we have the added job of balancing a mix of uses.

On a side note, if anyone wants to see a really terrible waterfront, check out Philadelphia's.

As for there being no cultural attractions, the Redpath Sugar Museum is right nearby.

Sweet.

Don't even need to take a GO Train or bus - just take the ferry to Hanan's Point or Ward's Island.

There were many ideas earlier about appropriate additional uses earlier, Metroman, so your comment is a bit harsh. Restaurants and cafes were one idea, another would be to adjust the green spaces to provide some more room for public interactive installations, like some of those planned in one of the Jarvis Slip proposals (otherwise, tell us, why we need an exclusive condo with a small public space that will likely be percieved as a condo amenity and not open to the public).

I'm not trying to be harsh... I'm just looking for examples of uses rather than people throwing out vague ideas of why this sucks and that something else is better... what? I dunno... something else..

If I recall correctly – and I may not recall correctly at this late hour – the city still owns a large swath of land along Queens Quay from Yonge St. as well as property along the slip itself.

These public uses can Рand likely will Рbe fulfilled in the grand scheme of WATERFRONToronto's Queens Quay plan. Once you have people living here, restaurants, caf̩s and patios will come.

In the meantime, the developer is making an articulated effort to bring something unique to this important plot of land. These buildings will no doubt become a beloved part of our waterfront whether they're just condos and not some museum.

Toronto has massive amounts of undeveloped land where public spaces and iconic venues can go.

In fact, nothing precludes the foot of Yonge from gaining a special public space as myself included thinks it deserves to get. WATERFRONToronto is leaving the Yonge St. Quay for last in their construction of West8's wavy decks. The Yonge Quay is actually quite wide so something beautiful, unique and dare I say "iconic" can yet be built here.

Yonge Quay can still become a large gathering space where hundreds of people can congregate for live outdoor concerts, where hotdog and icecream vendors put their kids' through university, where people just come to hang out and admire the foot of the "longest street in the world".... and if you look to your left, you have this architecturally significant structure that is beautiful to look at and brings thousands of residents – permanent waterfront population – to the water... all year round.

I think this is a win-win-win for everybody involved.

EDIT: Despite the late hour, I did recall correctly. The city does indeed own a nice large area on the most important part of this intersection: the corner of Yonge + Queens Quay.

2058363260_b0c188dd3b_o.jpg

unimaginative: In the middle of a major city, no people around is a success?. This undermines your argument. There are a ton of people at Toronto's waterfront with even the slightest hint of nice weather, if you've failed to notice this it's your own fault.

I would have preferred some other use of this land, but think it is hyperbole to state that the experience of the aptly named Harbour Castle will be repeated here. The scale of the buildings and the entrance to the walkway is important and from the plans I believe it will be welcoming and clear that this is public land.

The city does indeed own a nice large area on the most important part of this intersection: the corner of Yonge + Queens Quay.

Not sure what the city has planned on their parcel next to Pier 27, but my sources at The Star leaked some exciting plans for a small parkette just to the west:

1yonge.jpg

I'm not trying to be harsh... I'm just looking for examples of uses rather than people throwing out vague ideas of why this sucks and that something else is better... what? I dunno... something else..

If I recall correctly – and I may not recall correctly at this late hour – the city still owns a large swath of land along Queens Quay from Yonge St. as well as property along the slip itself.

These public uses can Рand likely will Рbe fulfilled in the grand scheme of WATERFRONToronto's Queens Quay plan. Once you have people living here, restaurants, caf̩s and patios will come.

In the meantime, the developer is making an articulated effort to bring something unique to this important plot of land. These buildings will no doubt become a beloved part of our waterfront whether they're just condos and not some museum.

Toronto has massive amounts of undeveloped land where public spaces and iconic venues can go.

In fact, nothing precludes the foot of Yonge from gaining a special public space as myself included thinks it deserves to get. WATERFRONToronto is leaving the Yonge St. Quay for last in their construction of West8's wavy decks. The Yonge Quay is actually quite wide so something beautiful, unique and dare I say "iconic" can yet be built here.

Yonge Quay can still become a large gathering space where hundreds of people can congregate for live outdoor concerts, where hotdog and icecream vendors put their kids' through university, where people just come to hang out and admire the foot of the "longest street in the world".... and if you look to your left, you have this architecturally significant structure that is beautiful to look at and brings thousands of residents – permanent waterfront population – to the water... all year round.

I think this is a win-win-win for everybody involved.

EDIT: Despite the late hour, I did recall correctly. The city does indeed own a nice large area on the most important part of this intersection: the corner of Yonge + Queens Quay.

2058363260_b0c188dd3b_o.jpg

One of the best 'post' I've read. MetroMan brilliantly articulated his points; despite the late hour ;)

Now, we just have to hope Waterfront Toronto's listening.

Clearly, with the final phases built so as to align with the earlier buildings, Freeland Street extended south of the Quay, a generous public promenade starting at the foot of Yonge, and the possibilities presented by the Waterfront Toronto land, there will eventually be more places for people to stroll and enjoy our harbour in the nice weather.

Pardon my language, but I think the site plan is rather shitty. Don't get me wrong, I love this building - but I think the plan as it stands now can be improved. For example, the western half of Phase I should also be in the public hands, and the "bridge" portion of the building could have gone on top of the eastern half of Phase I and Phase II, creating a "Grande Arc" effect for Freeland Street.

AoD

Not sure what the city has planned on their parcel next to Pier 27, but my sources at The Star leaked some exciting plans for a small parkette just to the west:

1yonge.jpg

What!? No Podium? I give it an A-

Love it! A real Hume-dinger

US:

Yeah, but I believe that's between what's labelled as Future Phase II and Phase I Building 0 (right beside the Redpath site). I am suggesting a floating section right above and spanning Area 3 "Freeland Street Zone" on the map.

AoD

But wouldn't some pen-pusher with a rubber stamp at some level of government bureaucracy be likely to nix such a plan - a residence that spans a public street? Horrors! No doubt there's some ancient ordinance forbidding such a thing - fear of falling icicles, people throwing stuff out their windows etc.?

US:

Oh no doubt. I understand the rationale behind the concerns, but I am not sure if they are necessarily warranted all the time. Beyond that, it wasn't clear as to whether Area 3 is a private right of way or a public one...

AoD

Back