Toronto River City Condos Phases 1 & 2 | ?m | 16s | Urban Capital | ZAS Architects

Damn, I am in love with this building. It's like our very own Perimeter Institute, with gentrifiers instead of physicists as inhabitants.

ps: I wanna buy the unit with the sloping balcony! Good sledding opportunity!

unfortunately that was only a broken balcony on the scaled model ... LOL ... no sloped balconies options available ~

so much for the 'please do not touch the model' sign ~

5 June 2010: public housing or RC phase one starting?

dsc08647b.jpg

dsc08633v.jpg

dsc08637n.jpg

That's public housing u/c, and Corktown III u/c to in the lower left of your first pic. River City is further east, closer to the Don (of course).

I did a whole research project on this area. This development (All of the West Don Lands) could really help Toronto set a standard for community building. But we have to remember, Toronto likes to set the bar high, and slightly lower it every year.

Also, this all has to be done in 5 years.

I'm extremely excited for this, I hope that Toronto gets it right and shows that it can handle large scale projects.

Let the count down begin!

I just hope they don't cave and allow some 45-story building to be put here. The mid-rise vision in the renderings looks fantastic

I wonder if everyone that lives in this area are non smokers? I'd hate to have to pass by that building everyday reminding me I could die of lung cancer.

Ha haha....I think you better worry about atmospheric emissions sumitted by automobiles, trains, planes, industries, etc. in the area, than second hand outdoor smoke by the general neighbourhood population.

I think you'd have to partake in first hand smoke to be considered a smoker

I wonder if everyone that lives in this area are non smokers? I'd hate to have to pass by that building everyday reminding me I could die of lung cancer.
I often get off the streetcar at the stop rigth by the building... Always feeling kind of awkward getting of the streetcar and lighting up a smoke right in front of that sign.

I do not think there is a thread for the Toronto Community Housing development adjacent to River City but on the TCHC website it has some details:

Toronto Community Housing is developing affordable rental homes in the West Don Lands as part of the city's waterfront revitalization initiative.

There will be 243 affordable rental units in three buildings:

◦Two four-storey low-rise apartment buildings with 115 units, designed for families, fronting on St. Lawrence and River Streets and backing onto a central courtyard. There will be a mix of two and three bedroom units.
◦An eight-storey apartment building with 128 units, designed for seniors, fronting on King Street East. There will be a mix of studios, one bedroom and two bedroom units.
There will be amenity space for residents in each building, secure bicycle parking at grade, one level of underground vehicle parking and commercial uses at the ground level of the eight-storey building along King Street East.

The buildings will be built to LEED Gold certification. Work on the site began in early 2010 and should be ready for tenants to start moving in Spring 2012. There's a rather poor rendering at: http://www.torontohousing.ca/investing_buildings/west_donlands

This thread needs more love. River City won a BILD Award for Best Building Design:

http://savelblogs.com/bild-award-for-best-building-design-river-city

That site also claims that the first phase is "70% sold out" - but he's a realtor, so take it with a grain of salt.

Waterfront Toronto's site says construction will start in fall of 2010, with occupancy slated for 2012 (I assume that is just for Phase I, and is probably not incredibly realistic).

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/explore_projects2/west_don_lands/river_city_development

This thread needs more love. River City won a BILD Award for Best Building Design:

http://savelblogs.com/bild-award-for-best-building-design-river-city

That site also claims that the first phase is "70% sold out" - but he's a realtor, so take it with a grain of salt.

Waterfront Toronto's site says construction will start in fall of 2010, with occupancy slated for 2012 (I assume that is just for Phase I, and is probably not incredibly realistic).

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/explore_projects2/west_don_lands/river_city_development

Hey...I'm that Realtor.

It was the sales centre that gave the 70% number, and I trust it’s about right based on remaining inventory. Also, earlier in the week they called to give me a heads up on a price increase for early next week. A typical move as they get down to the final batch of units so the number of percent sold may actually be higher as of today!

In regards to the Community Housing...I snapped a pic a few months back (and wrote a post about it). Looks like The Daniels Corp will be developing the site. And I’m basing that solely on the photo below.

daniels.jpg

Couldn't find anything on the Daniels website to back it up, but considering their success at One Cole and the heavy interest in One Park a few blocks away, it seems logical.

I attended a seminar a few weeks back (from another developer in the area) and was told that all the land in the West Don Lands has already been zoned to allow for max heights. In Toronto that doesn't mean much as we all know how things change, but I think the worry of 45 + tower is minimal. They also mentioned that the community housing will be geared towards seniors.

Hope this helps

Back