News   Mar 28, 2024
 938     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 536     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 831     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

UPDATE:

So I tried this place for the first time today. The Donair's were tasty but I would not call them authentic.

Authentic Donair meat is cooked on a rotating spit with slivers of meat sliced off it. The meat in this Donair looked like it came from a loaf cooked inside an oven. Instead of strips of meat crispy on the edges this was like crumbly hamburger. It had a nice taste but the texture was completely wrong. Everything else however was authentic, i.e. thick greek pita bread (moistened and heated) and authentic tasting sweet sauce ("Jizz").

What was disappointing was the quantity. I ordered the medium ($5.99) and it was not very filling. The Donairs that I have had in Halifax for about the same price were so large that I could not finish them in one sitting.

In the final analysis, this is a place that I might try again if I was in the area otherwise it is not something I would go out of my way for.

I miss the place that used to be where the Piazzolo is now at Adelaide and Sheppard, that had an actual, if unadvertised, Greco Donair franchise. Mmmm...Donairs.

I miss the place that used to be where the Piazzolo is now at Adelaide and Sheppard, that had an actual, if unadvertised, Greco Donair franchise. Mmmm...Donairs.

I agree, that was the only authentic place that I have found inside Toronto.

What I don't understand is why authentic Donair shops haven't opened up in Toronto:confused:

Not only is the demand there but it is really easy to make the perfect Donair. Get vertical spit and a supplier of Gyro Cones and your in business! The sauce is easy to make from scratch and all you do is dice up some onions and tomatoes.

For those customers who don't like sweet sauce offer tzatziki instead. A guaranteed goldmine!

What I don't understand is why authentic Donair shops haven't opened up in Toronto:confused:

Not only is the demand there but it is really easy to make the perfect Donair. Get vertical spit and a supplier of Gyro Cones and your in business! The sauce is easy to make from scratch and all you do is dice up some onions and tomatoes.

For those customers who don't like sweet sauce offer tzatziki instead. A guaranteed goldmine!

I know! I've been saying this for years. I don't get it either. And people would love something different from burgers and burritos after the bars close.

Some small updates on Danforth.

- FRUIT KING at the corner of Danforth and Logan is gone. Corner lot would probably make a good location for a restaurant/bar/lounge.
- Right beside FRUIT KING, the former "Demetra Restaurant and Tavern" is being taken over by a company called Jamba Juice (they will be opening up a Yogurt shop - seems to be the hot thing right now).
- And a few steps down the Mexican Restaurant "La Cabana" is gone.

I know. And it's not as if there is any lack of Maritimers in the city, so there is a built in market.

Details slowing being revealed about David Chang's Momofuku invasion of Toronto. Toronto Star: Acadia's Matt Blondin joins Momofuku in Toronto

In a Star exclusive, Matt Blondin confirmed he’ll join Toronto’s first Momofuku restaurant when he leaves Acadia on May 31.

He’ll become executive sous chef at Daisho, one of three Momofuku restaurants opening here July 28. In the process, the 29-year-old perfectionist joins forces with a chef of even more exacting standards: Momofuku founder Dave Chang.
Daisho, named for the pair of samurai swords, will have a menu of communal meals for four or more people, modelled on dinners like the bo ssam — whole slow-cooked pork shoulder with sides and condiments — at Momofuku’s Ssam Bar and the fried chicken at the chain’s Noodle Bar in New York City.

Daisho joins a Noodle Bar and a third, unnamed restaurant serving only tasting menus in a three-storey building beside the The Shangri-La condominium-hotel at University Ave. and Adelaide St. W.

Blondin will work under executive chef Sam Gelman (ex-Má Pêche) and will hire and train kitchen staff, control inventory, oversee daily operations and help develop the menu.

Jamba Juice is in Toronto now?!?! When did this happen? They already have a few locations!

No idea, but it does seem like it happened overnight. It seems Jamba Juice is co-branding with Yogurty's froyo for some of their stores (the Danforth and Logan store is one of these projects) - http://www.yogurtys.com. Yogurty's offers a co-branding setup, which seems to work out for many stores.

Any ideas as to what restaurant might come into 220 King? I know the site has been available for a while. Currently Barootes.

Taco Bell on Sheppard E has been torn down. Not sure if they plan to rebuild it or its gone.

Some small updates on Danforth.

- FRUIT KING at the corner of Danforth and Logan is gone. Corner lot would probably make a good location for a restaurant/bar/lounge.
- Right beside FRUIT KING, the former "Demetra Restaurant and Tavern" is being taken over by a company called Jamba Juice (they will be opening up a Yogurt shop - seems to be the hot thing right now).
- And a few steps down the Mexican Restaurant "La Cabana" is gone.

The old Fruit King space was purchased by a Dentist and is being converted to a Dental Office.

Back