Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

And, Vaughan Metropolitan Centre is officially the name of the final station.
http://www.yorkregion.com/news/article/1307759--ttc-backs-vaughan-s-station-name

Norm Kelly's quotes are gold. He basically argues they shouldn't do Vaughan any favours since some businesses have left Toronto for York Region over the years. I think he takes some kicks at Mel Lastman too, which is pretty rich coming from a Scarberian...

Where's the "dislike" button? This name is almost as bad as "Allandale Waterfront". Though both just make me groan.

And, Vaughan Metropolitan Centre is officially the name of the final station.
http://www.yorkregion.com/news/article/1307759--ttc-backs-vaughan-s-station-name

Norm Kelly's quotes are gold. He basically argues they shouldn't do Vaughan any favours since some businesses have left Toronto for York Region over the years. I think he takes some kicks at Mel Lastman too, which is pretty rich coming from a Scarberian...

Did we call Metropolitan Toronto by its official name or just Metro Toronto? Same here, it was called by its shorter name by most riders.

The real joke will be seeing Vaughan Metropolitan Centre on the subway map. Should we allow ourselves to be outdone though? Why not North York Metropolitan Centre, Scarborough Metropolitan Centre, and Union Station Toronto Central Core?

Why would TTC reverse their position? Amazing
TTC's previous position was that it was to be called Vaughan Corporate Centre. It no longer made sense, as it's not being called that.

So who is going to pay to change all the TTC maps in 10 years, when Vaughan decides to rename it to to Vaughan City Centre or Vaughan Uptown Centre?

So who is going to pay to change all the TTC maps in 10 years, when Vaughan decides to rename it to to Vaughan City Centre or Vaughan Uptown Centre?

That's not going to happen. Initially, Vaughan was going to call the area VCC but as its plans evolved into more of a mixed-use community, they changed it to VMC. That's the "brand name" for the area and it's not going to change.

No question the new station name is very long etc. but there is some sense of logic to Vaughan's position. Its city hall is a couple of KM away and they didn't want to imply "Vaughan Centre" was where you get off to go there. There were also some errors in the TTC staff report (e.g. thinking VMC was the name of a specific development). I'm not saying it's a great station name, just explaining the arguments...

As for WHY TTC backed off of "Vaughan Centre," their partners on the project asked nicely (and repeatedly, and strongly) so I guess they decided to go that way in the interests of regional peace?

I'd say this is way worse than Allandale Waterfront, which is both in the historic allendale 'hood, and on the waterfront. VCC is only in Vaughan, there is not really anything there except a holiday inn and a parking lot. I mean sure Holiday inn is corperate, but i wouldn't call it a 'center'. maybe later on it could eventually become as vibrant as Wilson Station!

I can't get too worked up about a station name, especially given that Vaughan is paying part of the freight. If they want an absurd name that will make people laugh at its pretense, that's fine by me.

As for WHY TTC backed off of "Vaughan Centre," their partners on the project asked nicely (and repeatedly, and strongly) so I guess they decided to go that way in the interests of regional peace?
I thought the request was coming from Vaughan? As far as I know, the funding partners are (in order of contribution) the Province of Ontario, the Government of Canada, the City of Toronto, and the Regional Municipality of York. The City of Vaughan isn't on that list.

The absurd name wouldn't annoy me so much if it wasn't the terminus. It's going to make for ridiculous signage in so many stations.

The absurd name wouldn't annoy me so much if it wasn't the terminus. It's going to make for ridiculous signage in so many stations.

Well, the signage at other stations can simply say "Northbound to Vaughan Centre" or even "Northbound to Vaughan". It does not have to use full name.

I thought the request was coming from Vaughan? As far as I know, the funding partners are (in order of contribution) the Province of Ontario, the Government of Canada, the City of Toronto, and the Regional Municipality of York. The City of Vaughan isn't on that list.

You're totally right about the $ contributions. The request came from both Vaughan and York Region, officially. (Of course, Vaughan taxpayers send their taxes to York Region so it's all kind of the same pot anyway.)

Well, the signage at other stations can simply say "Northbound to Vaughan Centre" or even "Northbound to Vaughan". It does not have to use full name.

That unfortunately might be necessary but it's still terrible wayfinding practice. For people unfamiliar with the system or those without proper knowledge of English, "Vaughan", "Vaughan Centre", and "Vaughan Metropolitan Centre" are all completely different things.

That unfortunately might be necessary but it's still terrible wayfinding practice. For people unfamiliar with the system or those without proper knowledge of English, "Vaughan", "Vaughan Centre", and "Vaughan Metropolitan Centre" are all completely different things.

Not to mention that there is a Vaughan Road at St. Clair West.

Back