Toronto Couture The Condominium | ?m | 42s | Philmor | Graziani + Corazza

What? :confused:
I don't really care for this one but to say its got more in common with the brutalist concrete apartment to the north of it than the glass box with similar dark overtones to the south is just absurd.
I'm not really referring to materials, but to the heavy massing, clumsy form, overall careless approach to detail, and blandness of aesthetic.

I wouldn't call the building to the north brutalist either. Of course it's mainly concrete, but there's more to brutalist style
than just lots of concrete.

Last edited:
I still completely disagree that the massing/proportions and general form have more in common the Residences on Bloor than the X and the materials used have a lot to do with the aesthetic. But that doesn't mean I think its proportional in quality to the X, which I agree is far better detailed and executed.

I just don't think this is the best comparison to make;

dt_toronto_geek said:
Couture2_Dec23-11.jpg
641664-Large.jpg

Last edited:
Walked by Couture today to take a look at the progress on the podium. I have no words to describe how UGLY this thing has become. I don't think they can choose a worse combination of glass colour. I was holding my breath hoping the podium would turn this project into something more but now I've given up all hope. The picture looks like I went into paint and used a paintbrush to grey out the two sections but the sad thing is that this is actually how it'll look like in person...judge for yourselves.

6854895561_802cf8367d.jpg

Why did this design even require any sort of "podium" (if you can call it that)...?

Definitely not what the render suggested. I was hoping for some colour on the podium, but The Cheapening™ has struck once again.

couture-podium.jpg

It's far from done, let's see how it turns out once all the materials have been installed.

Perhaps The Graziani + Corazza-ing or The Graziani + Corazza Effect is more accurate. I kind of like the sound of the latter.

Perhaps The Graziani + Corazza-ing or The Graziani + Corazza Effect is more accurate. I kind of like the sound of the latter.

I want to know what goes on inside these architect's head....are they purposely designing something with the intent of making it look like schnitzel, can't put on paper what they envision, developer's influence or are they just lacking creative juice???

I want to know what goes on inside these architect's head....are they purposely designing something with the intent of making it look like schnitzel, can't put on paper what they envision, developer's influence or are they just lacking creative juice???

I think the same thing when I see all the grey, glass boxes going up. Is this what these architects became architects for? (to just put up copy-cat, grey glass boxes?) I'd be very unhappy doing that.

The quality of the criticism on this page is really low, and remarkably premature at that. Schnitzel? Graziani + Corazza Effect? Neither gibe tells us anything. We don't even see mullion caps on the podium yet, but that's not keeping UT types from machine-gunning it. Load up another clip boys - the last round you fired were blanks.

Back