Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Go for it! You're not likely to make a greater architectural contribution to this city!

Well that was uncalled for..

Trump Tower while passing by.....

So do they have any plans for cleaning up the lower floors of the east face? It looks pretty good after that but the mismatched windows still look very odd.

View of Trump Tower (among others) from my suite at Leslie and Sheppard in North York:

Attachments

• Downtown View.JPG
    Downtown View.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 227
awesome pic Androiduk ^^^ the colour of the glass really pops... is the glass on the south facing side of the dome setback (where the penthouse terrace begins) different?

awesome pic Androiduk ^^^ the colour of the glass really pops... is the glass on the south facing side of the dome setback (where the penthouse terrace begins) different?
No glass there, it's covered in titanium-zinc tiles to match the skin of the onion dome roof. The elevation facing east on the north side of the building is the same.

some Trump goodness posted by lucci aka Ronnie Yip at SSC....

6299258888_019ceaea74_b.jpg

holy epic ^^^ words can't describe how amazingly awesome the CBD is at night. the residents at Trump are gonna have one classy view. as close to manhattan living as it gets.

holy epic ^^^ words can't describe how amazingly awesome the CBD is at night. the residents at Trump are gonna have one classy view. as close to manhattan living as it gets.

I think Manhattan living is as close as it gets, but whatever. Can we get over the NYC comparisons already?

Second that.

What I can't get past is that some people are insecure about us using NY comparisons. What's wrong with it? People compare things all the time. If a particular thing is like something normally associated with something else, then we make a comparison: this is like that. Big deal if this is newfound densely-packed skyscraper living in Toronto and that is Manhattan. It's nothing to "get over", it's natural. What needs to be gotten over is the insecurity that people feel when Toronto is compared to New York. Get over it!

Last edited:
What I can't get past is that some people are insecure about us using NY comparisons. What's wrong with it? People compare things all the time. If a particular thing is like something normally associated with something else, then we make a comparison: this is like that. Big deal if this is newfound densely-packed skyscraper living in Toronto and that is Manhattan. It's nothing to "get over", it's natural. What needs to be gotten over is the insecurity that people feel when Toronto is compared to New York. Get over it!

Exactly 42. I think the important qualifier when making these comparisons is to ensure that you are comparing city x (in this case Toronto) to city y (in this case New York) on an even plane. There's a difference between saying: "Ooh, this is just like Manhattan" and "Ooh, we'll never be as good as Manhattan." As long as it's a positive or at least neutral comparison, I think most are ok with it.

You are missing the point. People shouldn't compare Toronto to New York because Toronto is nothing like New York, and frankly it shouldn't try to be. I lived in Toronto for 5 years and now live in NYC. They are completely different cities with completely different energies. Toronto has its own unique energy and style, and blandly comparing it to New York distracts the conversation from what it should be, which is how Toronto's urban development should evolve in its own unique way and not try to imitate NYC. I understand that the comparisons will always be inevitable, but I think they are at best meaningless and at worst distracting, and should generally be avoided on these forums.

I don't think anyone is advocating that Toronto should look like, or develop like New York. If you have a problem with making comparisons then so be it, but I'll put myself out there and say that you are in the minority. Who cares if they're meaningless? What's the distraction?

Back