Emerald City Condos (ELAD Canada) - Real Estate -

In my unit, carpet in the bedroom and laminated hardwood in the living room, dining room & den (kitchen too if I have good memory). I believe this is the standard for phase 1.

I went there today, and got some ideas. I asked her to email me the upgrade prices list before my appointment date so I can be ready.

What's "Fan coil heating/cooling system"? Is that the same with baseboard heaters???! I thought they will use central air system? Which one is better?

Ok. I asked about the popcorn ceiling. She confirmed that they won't be smoothing the ceiling at all. It's not even an upgrade option. This goes the same thing for pot lights.

To upgrade bedroom from carpet to hardwood floor = $1600 + HST
To add valance lighting under the kitchen cabinet = $700 + HST
To upgrade to stainless steel appliances = $1950 + HST

Few questions came up while I was thinking about it at home:

Is it really worth $700 to install valance lighting under kitchen cabinet?? Is it cheaper just to DIY or hire contractor?

I went to Sears tonight and checked out some stainless steel appliances. She said they are not sure which brand they are going to use. Either Frigidaire or Whirlpool. Maybe other names too. I don't know.
I calculated if I decided to get stainless under cabinet microwave, fridge, dishwasher, stove&oven combo from them I could easily run it to $2500-$3000 total plus HST. The asking price to upgrade stainless appliances from the builder seems a better deal. What do you guys think?
Also, lets say if I go with the black/white appliances then I sell it privately, and use the money to help me to buy stainless steel from Sears or where ever, Do you think this is a better deal?

Bedroom from carpet to hardwood floor, seems worth to do it even it is over priced. I heard that for condo, if you want to do a upgrade after you move it, it is easier to go from hardwood floor to carpet rather than from carpet to hardwood floor.

If you really want valance lighting, I would rather hire a contractor to do it. Besides, I don't think it is that useful.

Stainless steel appliances....thought about that before, but black also appeals to me. If you choose cabinet and back splash colour carefully, black doesn't look that bad at all.

Check out the link below. I know we are not going to get big kitchens, but that's a good reference for colour choice.

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/873355/list/Cabinet-Colors-for-Dark-Appliances

I still didn't receive any call from the design studio, should I call them directly?

Just wait. She will call you.

Why is it easier to go from hardwood to carpet after I move in?

What's "Fan coil heating/cooling system"? Is that the same with baseboard heaters???! I thought they will use central air system? Which one is better?

I heard that if you get carpet and want to change to hardwood after move in, chances are when the carpet is moved, the concrete beneath is not flat, and extra work is required to flatten the concrete before doing the flooring. If you have hardwood from the builder, builder will make sure the concrete is flat before putting hardwood floors on.

Fan coil heating/cooling is not those ancient baseboard heaters. The coil should be the same as the ones used in houses, but maybe smaller.

It should look similar to this: http://www.residential.carrier.com/products/coils/fan/performance.shtml

Color selection

I had my appointment today to select the colors. I think the selection was pretty poor, only 3 basic packages to choose from, and 1 upgrade package.

I don't like carpets at all, but I think $1600+tax/room is too pricey, we got an offer from a contractor to do the 2 bedrooms around half the price. So we just chose one of the carpets, we can change it anytime in the future if we want. I also find the price of the stainless steel appliances to high ($2203), I can live with white appliances.

I asked about the popcorn ceiling too, but they won't be smoothing the ceiling at all. It is a really messy work, would be nice to have it done before moving in.
I also asked for installing tiles in the kitchen instead of the hardwood, but they won't do it neither. It would be just more practical since we use the kitchen a lot. It would be nice to have more upgrade options.

By the way, the lady told us that she will ask the management again about the smooth ceiling because more people were asking about it. Let's hope they will change their mind.

Do you mind sharing the info for the contractor that you know that can install wood floor for half price? PM me if you'd like.

Can you vouch for him?

I looked around at the Sears I thought you will pay more if you get it from retailers, no? The stainless steel package comes with fridge, dishwasher, stove, and microwave. I've totaled if I get them from Sears, it will cost between $2200 to $2500. Fridge around $1000-$1200, microwave around $400-$600, dishwasher around $400-$500, and stove around $500-$700. They are either Whirlpool or Frigidaire.

I had my appointment today to select the colors. I think the selection was pretty poor, only 3 basic packages to choose from, and 1 upgrade package.

I don't like carpets at all, but I think $1600+tax/room is too pricey, we got an offer from a contractor to do the 2 bedrooms around half the price. So we just chose one of the carpets, we can change it anytime in the future if we want. I also find the price of the stainless steel appliances to high ($2203), I can live with white appliances.

I asked about the popcorn ceiling too, but they won't be smoothing the ceiling at all. It is a really messy work, would be nice to have it done before moving in.
I also asked for installing tiles in the kitchen instead of the hardwood, but they won't do it neither. It would be just more practical since we use the kitchen a lot. It would be nice to have more upgrade options.

By the way, the lady told us that she will ask the management again about the smooth ceiling because more people were asking about it. Let's hope they will change their mind.

Last edited:
The floor guy is my husband's friend, I will ask his name and get back to you.

The stainless steel package may worth the price, but it is not a must have for me. Another thing is, that we have to pay for the upgrades right now, the different upgrades can add up easily for a bigger amount :confused:

Yesterday I forgot to mention that we asked them not to paint anything, because my husband is a painter and we will paint the condo with other colors. The lady said that they will paint it anyway, that is not an option. I think they should be more flexible, many other condos allow people more options.

Photos of the color selection packages

Does anyone has photos of the color selection packages and the approx. upgrade prices? I am still waiting for the phone call for color selection. Seeing them in advance will give me an idea how much money I need to save on upgrades. Thanks!

Does anyone has photos of the color selection packages and the approx. upgrade prices? I am still waiting for the phone call for color selection. Seeing them in advance will give me an idea how much money I need to save on upgrades. Thanks!

I took some pictures with my phone, so they are not very clear. I think it is best for you to pop in in the sales office and see them in person.

Thanks newbuyer.

The mortgage rate is so low. Today, I called the Emerald City mortgage rep for locking the rate. Will send you guys an update once I get the info. You may want to do the same so that we can compare notes.

Back