Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Which mayoral candidates will support the DRL?

Which of the mayoral candidates (beyond Adam G) are transit friendly? Will any make supporting the DRL a key plank of their candidacy?

A new downtown subway in my lifetime would be worth voting for.

Which of the mayoral candidates (beyond Adam G) are transit friendly? Will any make supporting the DRL a key plank of their candidacy?

A new downtown subway in my lifetime would be worth voting for.

Jane Pitfield (lol)!

From what I understand, the original proposal included a commitment to fund an EA of whatever recommendation the "Downtown Rapid Transit Expansion Study" suggested. The city removed that commitment, so the study will still go ahead, but whether it is followed by an EA is now undetermined.

The Transit City projects went through the same kind of study-then-EA process. Check out the page for the Don Mills LRT, it's a "Preliminary Planning for a Transit Project Assessment Study", not an EA, which will come later.

There's this poll to take as to what to rename the DRL since that most likely will not be the name for it:

http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=191461

RESULTS

35% Change all subway lines to colours (Green Line, Yellow Line, etc)

23% Don River Line

11% The Subways, Subways, Subways Folks Line

10% Don Mills Line / Don Mills Express

8% Queen Elizabeth II Line

5% Toronto East for the first leg of the project, Toronto West for the second leg

3% Commuter Line

2% Suburban Express

2% Toronto Relief Line

I think Toronto should simply name lines based on colour (green, blue, yellow etc) or number/letters (A, B C, 1, 2, 3). they are simply and very easy to remeber.

The current naming system system is too long and doesn't make sense. Yonge-University-Spadina line? What the hell? Even Bloor-danforth line is too long. FOr locals, they don't need to be reminded where the line runs; for visitors, they don't know where these streets are.

Downtown Relief line is a stupid name, IMO. When it turns out to be a big success, people will wonder why we call it that in 30 years (if it gets built).

I always just call it the spadina line, the Yonge line, the Bloor line, and the Sheppard line. The DRL should really be called the king line or queen line depending on its routing.

Back