News   Mar 28, 2024
 984     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 554     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 846     0 

The Junction

^I just read your blog, interesting re: new bar opening. Why is the Foundation still caught in limbo? (Ever noted the old Subaru station wagon behind their space with BC plates? It's been abandoned for months now.)

Here's my favourite shop in the Junction, where I spend most of my Junction dollars:

DSC01637.jpg

love the lights on Smash's entrance:

DSC01628.jpg

How are the girls from the Beet these days? (I'm craving a coffee from them today...:))

DSC01613.jpg

The Junction's side streets are snowed in!

DSC01640-1.jpg

DSC01611.jpg

^Hey JP, thanks!

Here's some more photos I took this afternoon, around 3PM.

The tent for the rink continues to go up:

DSC01691.jpg

I hadn't been on this Dundas West strip in several months, so was surprised to see a few new businesses...like Olga's

DSC01692.jpg

and across the street from the ram-packed Crema Coffee (I had no idea it had become the "it" joint for white ppl :p in the Junction) I was sort of saddened to notice that instead of a cool bar or cafe, this has opened:

DSC01695.jpg

The dyed redhead ruined my photo, but any idea how Trap Door is weathering the recession?

DSC01696.jpg

I had an excellent muffin and coffee at the Beet ...

DSC01684.jpg

... but wondered, is this place dying? The place was empty!

DSC01686.jpg

From the steps of the TPL on Annette St, looking up Medland St:

DSC01680.jpg

5 March 2009 Junction photo update

A few more interesting angles I noticed today on my way to crema:

Tommy Thompson Park sign?

dsc00155n.jpg

Near Keele St, I spy this interesting deep alcove/entrance to some retail/apartments (looks very Victorian/Dickensian) that I'd like to own some day:

dsc00157t.jpg

Finally, outside a sporting goods shop, I see an interesting art installation piece:

dsc00171h.jpg

Nice photos Urban! , your "art installation" comment is funny :p

Sorry I disappeared, my 1 year-old had to have surgery, it's been a pretty crazy couple of months.

The Dundas Pizza place' pizza is pretty bad but do try their gigantic garlic bread that costs only $1, make sure you're there around noon, that's when they're just out of the oven.

P.S. I almost took your condo comment seriously lol :D

A bit of Junction News!

Public square planned for the Junction

Community space lacking say residents

full story here: http://www.insidetoronto.com/article/64767

Junction Public Space group on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=67069349600

When Marek Rozkowski's daughter was a teenager, she and her friends would agree to meet at the fountain on the corner of Bloor West and Jane streets for lack of a more suitable place closer to her Junction area home, according to her father.
"Over here, where do you meet? There's nothing on the main strip," said Rozkowski, sitting in his High Park Architects office on the north side of Dundas Street West, just east of Pacific Avenue.

About five years ago Rozkowski, an architect, and his neighbour Robert Hilts, an artist who discovered they had similar interests, began toying with the idea of creating a 'Junction Square,' a multi-purpose yet permanent public space that could be used not only for special occasions with a temporary de-mountable stage, but also simply as a place for people to congregate.

Hilts cited New York City's Seagram Building on Park Avenue with its open granite plaza as a great example of an area that developed into a popular gathering place. In fact, it was the Seagram Building that led to the city's revision of its zoning resolution to include incentives for developers to create public spaces.

"Community spaces, other than parks, did not develop in Toronto," Hilts said. "We want to make a space for people to walk on, sit, where people could play chess, checkers, or gather to play music."

The goal is to convert Pacific Avenue north of Dundas not quite to Vine Avenue into a public square, Hilts said. Armed with architectural drawings by Rozkowski, he and Hilts presented their initial concept to the Junction Residents Association (JRA) first in November and followed up in January. While they have provided a jumping off point, the local community would participate in the design of the space from the use to its structures, Hilts said. JRA members have been receptive to the idea.

"A project like this, it's something real. It gives people optimism about what's happening on a local level," said Co-Chair Louis Marrone, who stressed that the JRA is only a partnering sponsor in this larger community project. "It can be a centre for information for the community."

The area is central to the Junction; it's a place that's accessible and the street is wide, said Hilts. Additionally, it offers business owners the opportunity to create side entrances to their shops. Acting Chair of the Junction Business Improvement Area, Emanuel Calleja, said he supports the idea of a Junction Square.

Over the past two months, Hilts and Rozkowski have been in talks with different city departments to ensure such a project can be technically done. The consensus is, 'it's a great idea, but it's going to be tough.'

"If residents, who play an important role here, are prepared to find another route to their house, we're over hurdle number one," said Ward 13 (Parkdale-High Park) Councillor Bill Saundercook. "If we can get over that hurdle, then I think it's exciting."

The current 'Junction Train Station,' which was set up last year to celebrate the neighbourhood's Centennial Anniversary and has since provided a place for various seasonal activities, has given the community a taste of what's to come, said the councillor.

Hilts grew up in the Junction. As a teen in the mid-'70s, he was a stock boy at Kresgees on Dundas Street West. He recalled the volume of people on the street was so great that he needed the support of a co-worker to make sure he didn't get pushed over accidentally as he put up the awning.

"I sure hope this project will bring people back," he said. "It's about community development, community cohesion and revitalization."

Said Rozkowski, "We're not going to attract people if we don't provide this kind of streetscape. We need to provide a destination."

The two would like the community to help build the square. Already, enthusiasm for the project is mounting. Those who don't even live in the immediate area have offered their support.

"People as far as The Queensway want to help with this," said Hilts. "Residents are overwhelmingly behind this."

A public meeting is scheduled for May. City staff will be on hand at the meeting to provide input and to answer questions.

For further details, visit http://junctionps.blogspot.com

I wish they'd just rejuvenate the park on Dundas (at Indian Road), opposite West End Offset. It's not monitored by police, located right next to that rooming house where someone recently went for a fly out the window and all I've seen there ever has been grown-ups with substance abuse problems. We should fix our existing public spaces before making new ones for the hell of it.

I wish they'd just rejuvenate the park on Dundas (at Indian Road), opposite West End Offset. It's not monitored by police, located right next to that rooming house where someone recently went for a fly out the window and all I've seen there ever has been grown-ups with substance abuse problems. We should fix our existing public spaces before making new ones for the hell of it.

It's not making new public places for the hell of it, but to fulfill the demand for community gathering space. Other public spaces have been improved, like how Dundas no longer has overhead wires.

The way I see it, there's not as much demand for improvement there at the Dundas-Watkinson park. That stretch of Dundas does not have as many businesses generating pedestrian activity, and unlike a square, the parkette doesn't provide a pedestrian connection to anywhere, so few people pay attention to it. In the future there will be more pressure to improve this space as more businesses open, and when the land in the area is redeveloped, like the McBride's lands, the closed gas station at Annette and the Coffee Time.

Last edited:
What community demand pray tell. I'm not aware of any demand.

See this, the bit in the article below on local teens going all the way to Bloor to meet. I also know friends who have wanted a decent square to be built somewhere in the area. The Pacific and Dundas area already becomes a square of sorts for the arts festival.

The square at Pacific & Dundas is already there, for public use. Why do we need another public space (to fall into disrepair and neglect).

Back