News   Mar 28, 2024
 99     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 229     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.3K     1 

Supertall and near-Supertall Rumour/Speculation Thread

Ok, it's officially on the city's website. It lists 83, not the 82 I mentioned earlier. There is also a substantial non-residential component.

From City of Toronto:

50 BLOOR ST W
Ward 27 - Tor & E.York District

Related Applications

OPA / Rezoning

Redevelopment of Holt Renfrew Site with a mixed-use condo development inclusive of existing and new space. It will include one 83-storey residential tower rising from an 8-storey commercial podium containing Holt Renfrew department store as well as other retail and service uses.
Application Number 12 141351 STE 27 OZ Application Status Application Submitted
Planner Name
Phone Number --- Status Date Mar 22, 2012
Community Meeting Date --- Date Received Mar 22, 2012
Statutory Meeting Date --- Proposed Non-Residential GFA (sq m) 18,835

Proposed Residential GFA (sq m) 71,780
Lot Size (sq m) 5,920
Proposed Residential Units 600
Proposed Storeys 83

AoD

Ok, it's officially on the city's website. It lists 83, not the 82 I mentioned earlier. There is also a substantial non-residential component.

Redevelopment of Holt Renfrew Site with a mixed-use condo development inclusive of existing and new space. It will include one 83-storey residential tower rising from an 8-storey commercial podium containing Holt Renfrew department store as well as other retail and service uses.

So I assume we have 75 floors of residential, plus 8 floors of retail. If the current Holts is 4 floors, is it reasonable to assume that 8 floors would be twice the height? How tall is the 4s Holts right now?

(The way the application is phrased, it would be 83 residential floors rising above 8 commercial floors for a total of 91 floors and definite supertall status, but I doubt that is what they actually meant.)

75s of residential might be about 254m (10 York is 75s and 253.4m, a 75s One Bloor would also be about 255m) and adding 8s of Holts retail (36m to 44m?) would put the total height at 290m to 298m -- just a hair below FCP.

Of course, it sounds like the Cumberland Terrace project will be supersized as well, and it is also an Oxford project -- I wonder if the rumour about the twin Oxford towers in Yorkville was really about these two separate but nearby projects?

Last edited:
An 8s Holts is something - it's what, 4s right now?

But since it quotes the total gross area of the project as 18,835 sqm, the store won't be double the size it is right now, as that's not that much more than the current store (around 180,000 sqft)...assuming all that space is strictly for Holts.

So I assume we have 75 floors of residential, plus 8 floors of retail. If the current Holts is 4 floors, is it reasonable to assume that 8 floors would be twice the height? How tall is the 4s Holts right now?

(The way the application is phrased, it would be 83 residential floors rising above 8 commercial floors for a total of 91 floors and definite supertall status, but I doubt that is what they actually meant.)

75s of residential might be about 254m (10 York is 75s and 253.4m, One Bloor is 75s and ~254m) and adding 8s of Holts retail (36m to 44m?) would put the total height at 290m to 298m -- just a hair below FCP.

Of course, it sounds like the Cumberland Terrace project will be supersized as well, and it is also an Oxford project -- I wonder if the rumour about the twin Oxford towers in Yorkville was really about these two separate but nearby projects?

The wording suggests that not all eight floors will necessarily be Holt's, but will include other retail or service facilities.

Psychologically, it seems to me very unlikely that the developers will build 83 expensive storeys to fall just short of FCP. The number suggests to me that they have worked things out so that the proposed building will be just a bit taller than FCP and can be advertized as such. "Life in the Sky, in Canada's Tallest Building." "Canada's First 1000 foot building/300 metre building." "Canada's First Supertall!"

The 83 storey height makes all that just possible, about as cheaply as possible.

Back