News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 628     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 909     0 

Corktown

The meth addicts, some of whom are quite long in the tooth, seem like a jolly bunch - little groups of them get on the 504 at Parliament Street some mornings as I head downtown, cheerfully discussing their various ailments, near-death experiences, and medications.

There's also a massive restoration project underway at the 5 story loft building at the N/W corner of Parliament and King E. Not to mention the project across the street, next to the icky Staples. If I'm not mistaken, TTC purchased the land? It looks as though this will become a streetcar turnaround. Total guess though, I have no idea. Whatever it is required very little digging though, so there's certainly no building going up there. (unless they're putting up a sales house?)

Another mystery building is at the corner of Sackville and King. I know we've discussed this in the past. I've been hearing neighbourhood rumours that this will become a little organic grocery store / deli. Anyone else hearing this buzz? The building itself got a pretty recent exterior paint job, and appears to be getting gutted (albeit, very slowly).

Yey for Corktown! Yey for the Pan Am games!

As others have said and as has been discussed elsewhere on UT, the TTC sold the bit of the site they owned at King/Parliament (it used to be the loop for the Parliament Street Streetcar route) and the building on Parliament between King and Front which is being worked on now is the new Porsche dealership. They are building a 2-storey building there as they are FINALLY being kicked out of their present building, which belongs to the Ontario Heritage Foundation, at Front/Berkeley. The OHF is still trying to buy the final piece of the First Parliament site (the piece with the car wash along Parliament south of Front.) Once that piece is in public hands ALL of the FP site will be public.

The building at Parliament/King/Adelaide is certainly looking better. It used to be live/work lofts and a furniture store. No idea what's going into it now but I suspect it's offices from the kind of windows they installed. THE POSTED PERMIT SAYS ITS A "NON-RESIDENTIAL BUILDING".

The owners of the building at King and Sackville got permission from the Committee on Adjustment last summer to convert it to a restaurant. They do seem to be moving VERY slowly.

Last edited:
King & Parliament is going to be the future home of the Porsche Dealer

Steel for the first floor was going up this morning for the first time.

What is the plan for the First Parliament site once it's fully in public hands?

New Porsche Dealership
DowntownPorsche-Jan9,10(2).jpg

A little Corktown
Corktown-Jan9,10(3).jpg

Corktown-Jan9,10(4).jpg

Corktown-Jan9,10(5).jpg

What is the plan for the First Parliament site once it's fully in public hands?

I think that is still to be decided; I have heard that it might be possible to use the existing Porsche building for a (temporary) City museum once Dr Porsche moves out. Then, when (if?) the whole site gets into public ownership a better building would be erected and possibly the FP foundations (which were briefly exposed during excavation a couple of years go) would be exposed as part of it. (Similar to the wonderful Pointe-à-Callière, musée d’archéologie et d’histoire in Montreal.)

This is more of the Streetcar buildings, I think this is their old showroom plus the offices just west.

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5A 1M1

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 101984 DEM 00 DM Accepted Date: Jan 7, 2010

Project: Office Demolition

Description: Permit to demolish existing building on 510 and 512 King St E - office space

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5A 1M1

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 101989 DEM 00 DM Accepted Date: Jan 7, 2010

Project: Office Demolition

Description: permit to demolish existing office / sales centre

A new thread has been started on this, rather small, project with title "Downtown Porsche". Not sure that it's necessary to have its own thread but...

Not everybody comes to this section. Its a P&C even though its a small project. But the location is fairly significant as is the history of the project.

And what about the car dealership at Front / Trinity? Didn't the city approve another project there as well? Haven't seen much happening on that site. In fact, I think the dealership is still in there.

Corktown is really bubbling now and will be bursting in no time. I love being a part of a community where every new addition (whether it's a cafe / store / home addition / condo) is exciting. I've lived in Toronto my whole life and have never routed for a neighbourhood as much as this one. It's nice to be a part of this evolution.

And what about the car dealership at Front / Trinity? Didn't the city approve another project there as well? Haven't seen much happening on that site. In fact, I think the dealership is still in there.

Corktown is really bubbling now and will be bursting in no time. I love being a part of a community where every new addition (whether it's a cafe / store / home addition / condo) is exciting. I've lived in Toronto my whole life and have never routed for a neighbourhood as much as this one. It's nice to be a part of this evolution.

I think you mean EASTERN and Trinity and as far as I know the developer has ceased planning.

Back