Toronto King East Centre | 140m | 39s | First Gulf | WZMH

Has anyone heard anything about the opening date(s) for the LCBO/Dollarama?

Thanks!

Has anyone heard anything about the opening date(s) for the LCBO/Dollarama?

Thanks!
You asked the same question about 2 weeks ago and there was no response - I assume nobody really knows but the CIBC is opening on January 30 so it is not unreasonable to think all three 'stores' will open in January.

Thank you for your responses ;). I was hoping that they would be open for business this month, just in time for Christmas. Perhaps, given the amount of gutting that had to be done, the timeline was 'overly optimistic'.

Shame it will be so long til the new LCBO opens, but at least the St. Lawrence Market location has moved into larger (temporary) digs on Market Street, which should make the holiday stock-up less of an ordeal this year.

In the meantime, progress on the Coca Cola rooftop addition to 333 King East is proceeding at blazing speed. Here's a crap camera phone photo from today:

crane.jpg

Attachments

• crane.jpg
    crane.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 344
Thank you for your responses ;). I was hoping that they would be open for business this month, just in time for Christmas. Perhaps, given the amount of gutting that had to be done, the timeline was 'overly optimistic'.

Feel free to buy me my Christmas gifts at the LCBO on Front and Market or at the Dollarama on Sherbourne Street. Though it will be handy to have these two stores at Front and Princess it is hardly too difficult to find other branches right now!

From inside the building looking west to the construction. The scaffolding there looks like it's for an elevator shaft.

cORK3.jpg

Coca Cola Headquarters Overlea will be closing..

Though it does make me wonder/worry about the future about their Overlea bottling plant.

Its does indeed appear that the Overlea Bottling Headquarters will be closing. Not too certain about the fate of the other head office?

Coke leaving Mad Men-era building to head downtown
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1110574--coke-leaving-mad-men-era-building-to-head-downtown

e198919c4aa29a02397086899a06.jpeg

Entering the Coca-Cola Canada headquarters on Overlea Blvd. in Thorncliffe Park, it doesn’t take much to imagine scenes from TV’s Mad Men being filmed there.

You can easily picture dapper ’60s ad man Don Draper striding across the front lobby’s terrazzo floor and admiring the classic wood panelling as he smiles at the receptionist and looks for an ashtray in which to butt out his cigarette. You can also see him making his pitch in the upstairs boardroom, with its vast conference table and walls lined with Norman Rockwell prints.

There are no ashtrays these days, of course. And at least one of the Coke bottles lining the lobby’s wall might have struck Don’s sensibilities as peculiarly futuristic. For the most part, however, the building is as representative of its time as Toronto City Hall, which opened the same year.

“It is one of the best remaining examples in Toronto of a suburban corporate headquarters, which was a new and important building type during the postwar period,†says Robert Moffatt of Moriyama & Teshima Architects.

“It’s a classic, clean-lined modernist design, executed with high-quality materials and workmanship, and immaculately maintained in original condition.â€

PHOTOS OF THE BUILDING’S INTERIOR AND MEMORABILIA

When Coke opened its doors in Thorncliffe Park on July 22, 1965, the Mathers & Halenby-designed office building was emblematic of the city’s shifting, suburban, automobile-era dynamic. With the company planning to move downtown by late 2012 or early 2013, the building’s future status is uncertain. The bottling side of the operation migrated to Brampton a decade ago.

The headquarters relocation is part of what the company calls its “Live Positively†emphasis, a response to the stated desire of employees to walk, bicycle or take public transportation to work. The new digs, a three-storey addition to the Toronto Sun building on King St. E., will provide bike racks and showering facilities, as well as other amenities.

“As great as this community is, it is more limited in terms of access to the subway and the GO train,†says human resources vice-president Tova White. “The new facility will also have a more open concept, with lots of natural light coming in.â€

What it might or might not have is artist Walter Yarwood’s signature bronze sculptural tower of interlocking Coke bottles, an example of Warhol-esque pop art in both the literal and figurative sense.

“We are doing research to find out whether it belongs to the community or it belongs to (Coca-Cola),†says White. “It is obviously an iconic piece that was created especially for this building, so it will be entrusted in some way to either the community or our new facility.â€

Either way, the building is worth preserving, says Michael McClelland of ERA Architects, a firm that specializes in heritage preservation and restoration.

“There are a lot of very interesting postwar buildings,†McClelland says. “It’s possible we might lose a lot of them before we even notice it.

“This is a spectacular building. When you’re looking at buildings that have been designated for preservation elsewhere in thecity, this one would stand the test. It warrants being valued as a heritage building.â€

Looks like they've begun to market the office tower with signage on site and on FirstGulf.com.

500,000 sq. ft., looks like 22 storeys

First Gulf.jpg

Ajm6awcCIAE54nM.jpg

Attachments

• First Gulf.jpg
    First Gulf.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 361
  • Ajm6awcCIAE54nM.jpg
    Ajm6awcCIAE54nM.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 320
My god, where is that tower going...i thought this was a 3 storey addition:confused:

The render shown in those marketing flyers takes a lot of artistic liberties, so it's pretty much impossible to place it into any neighbourhood context, but as far as I've always understood the tower (or was it two potential towers?) will go on the eastern end of the property along Berkeley, where there the parking lots are. The 3 story Coca Cola addition is on the western end of the property, above the existing building. But the exact details remain vague.

Siteplan:
http://www.firstgulf.com/siteplan-property/333_King_Street_SP.pdf

Listed at 16 storeys up to 20. I don't think they've designed anything - they're probably fishing for a lead tenant who wants to do a design-build.

The office building will go along king @ berkely. Looks like they've reserved Front and Berkeley for retail or residential.

Will be a great connector to the Distillery District.

Be interested to see if this bldg lands a tenant - vis -a-vis Allieds bldg on Richmond West...

What a surprise for the area, a 22 storey office structure is easily 100 meters in height...no wonder down the street, Cityzen is at the OMB to get there 154 Front st, 34 storey/115 meter condo project approved.
Again....Monde Condo tower, just another stones throw down the road has been approved at 43s/140 meters

Last edited:

Back