News   Apr 16, 2024
 149     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 534     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.3K     0 

CityPlace Retail

Thanks for posting. From what I am reading here, it appears that Whole Foods is expected at Front/Bathurst. I didnt know that. That's not quite CityPlace but that is destination retail. It will help the value of the neighborhood, in general. Also, Block 33/36 sounds interesting. Commericial restriction have been lifted. Good news.

Thanks for posting. From what I am reading here, it appears that Whole Foods is expected at Front/Bathurst. I didn't know that. That's not quite CityPlace but that is destination retail. It will help the value of the neighbourhood, in general. Also, Block 33/36 sounds interesting. Commercial restriction have been lifted. Good news.

What are the commercial restrictions that were lifted and why were there even commercial restrictions in the first place? It is a downtown district, after-all. It should have all kinds of commercial developments and mixed zoning.

What are the commercial restrictions that were lifted and why were there even commercial restrictions in the first place? It is a downtown district, after-all. It should have all kinds of commercial developments and mixed zoning.

I have had some contact with the CityPlace office/showroom about 1 or 2 years ago and they had relayed to me that the city did not approve "destination" retail for the CityPlace area becuase they were afraid of the implications/impact of added traffic to the Gardiner and Spadina. Because the Rogers Centre and daily commuters already flood the area, there was apparently a fear of too much congestion. So the retail that was supposedly permitted had to be intended for the residents of the community. Small coffee shops, dry-cleaners, convenience stores etc. In other words, no retail that would attract large groups of outside visitors (which ironically, has been the whole criticism of the CityPlace area - lack of visitation from outsiders). From what I am reading, it looks like those restrictions have been somewhat lifted for future developments which makes me think, that more attractive "destination-driving" retail options will be available. Even though the Whole Foods discussed is not planned for the CP area but just outside, that is destination retail to me - its the kind of place people from other neighborhoods will travel to get to becuase of its speciality.

As far as your point, completely agree.

Pet Social opened a few weeks ago on Fort York Blvd. Between CIBC and Fox & Fiddle. Pretty neat little store, and saves me from driving out to Petsmart now for good quality pet food and litter! They have also partnered with Toronto Cat Rescue and have cats up for adoption in the store. If you own a pet and live in or around CityPlace, its definitely worth a visit.

This is cool! A cafe just opened in one of the Live Work units along Fort York Blvd! These small businesses are the kinds of things that will make CityPlace a great neighbourhood. I hope this place does amazingly well and that more follow in its footsteps. The neighbourhood needs it!

IMG_9847.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_9847.PNG
    IMG_9847.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,267
The Aroma Espresso Bar at Fort York Blvd & Bathurst remains unopened. According to Google images, it appears like the covered windows have been that way since 2020.

20220227_121329.jpg
20220227_121355.jpg

Back