News   Mar 28, 2024
 541     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 835     0 

List of Toronto non highrise structures

Torontosaurus Rex

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've been trying to compile an accurate list of Toronto structures that are not classified as highrise/lowrise. Basically non resedential, office, hotel hospital,educational,religious or any structure used by most people.

Basically this leaves structures such as chimneys, tv and radio masts, flagpoles, windmils, monuments, etc.

The obvious ones that come to mind are:1) Hearn Generating Station 715ft
2) Ashbridges Bay Chimney 620ft
(I believe the often cited 857 feet, of thisistructure to be inaccurate)
3) The now demolished CBC mast
on Jarvis Street 573ft
4) Bell Tower on PharmacyAve. 492ft
After this my list falls off. I have some hunches as to what would be next such as the chimney located on Commissioners St. But I have yet to find a listed hieght anywhere. Then there is the tall chimney located between Bay St. and University Ave. south of Gerrard St. and north of Dundas St. Its a toss up between those two as which is 5th and 6th on the list.
Please help me complete this list, much Thanxx in advance!

Android, I actually searched for that book. Ha ha. I see your joke, though.

Saurus, I assume you mean high thing, though you didn't explicitly state that. There isn't a list unless someone has a secret passion and is willing to share their list. It's also really hard to find heights for things, but good luck with this.

Good luck ... masts are everywhere including some that may break into your top 4

Android, I actually searched for that book. Ha ha. I see your joke, though.

Saurus, I assume you mean high thing, though you didn't explicitly state that. There isn't a list unless someone has a secret passion and is willing to share their list. It's also really hard to find heights for things, but good luck with this.

Hope you didn't spend too much time on that.:)

This sounds almost more like an urban explorationist's task. Still some impressive old chimbleys here and there (wouldn't the stacks behind the Dundas/Carlaw factories still be extant?)

I am aware of most structures in Toronto south of Eglinton Ave. bounded by Jane St. to the west and Victoria Park Ave. to the east.

The chimney near Dundas St. E. and Carlaw is near to where I live. I would estimate it be about 225-250 ft. range as is the nearby seniors residentdential tower on Logan.

There are several structures within the aforementioned boundaries that I think would make the "top 10 list". This includes the mast south of St.Clair Ave. W. near Avenue Rd., another mast south of Eglinton Ave. W. just west of Jane St., then there's the chimney of the Toronto West General Hospital. I have a hunch that these three structures are similar in height. Probably in the 300 - 350 ft. range.

Thanks for your input guys!:)

There is also tower of some sort off of Ronald Ave. in the Castlefield and Caledonia area. I can't really estimate the height, it appears quite tall, but it is on a hill.

And from a photo thread elsewhere on UT, note this no-longer-extant aerial off Yonge N of Eglinton

fo1567_ser648_s0648_fl0239_id0006.jpg

Happy 2009 fellow UT forumers! Thanks for your help in this sorta trivial matter to most! But something of some significance to me. Its just some list I've been trying to compile for too long now.

I half forgotten both mentions of the above masts even though I know of them. The first one off of Caledonia south of the Lotherton bldgs., I used to past by quite often when I used to live in the general area as a kid. It sorta reminds of that Boluva Tower that used to be a landmark on the C.N.E. grounds for years (which I would like to know the height of also) I estimate this structure in the former city of York to be about 300' tall.

The 11 masts located on the island are 150 ft.apiece. Well 6 of the 11 are for sure. I assuming the other 5 are also. Interesting to find out the history of area masts and the radio stations it beams. Never knew that my most listened to station AM 640 is being beamed from across the lake.

I know there a few tall water storage towers around the city. Also some the taller electricity pylons are bound to make a dent in this list. The Exhition place wind turbine is 308 ft., being eeked out by the 312 ft. tall old city hall clock tower which I consider to be a monument. Old city hall was 340 ft. tall when it had a small antenna atop.

Back