Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

October 9, 2008

corus3.jpg

corus1.jpg

corus4.jpg

corus2.jpg

Does anyone know why this building is so far away from Queens Quay? If it was closer to the street, there would be more room along the waterfront. So what are they gonna do with the part along Queens Quay, turn it into another parking lot? It looks like a pretty big area to leave empty.

Does anyone know why this building is so far away from Queens Quay? If it was closer to the street, there would be more room along the waterfront. So what are they gonna do with the part along Queens Quay, turn it into another parking lot? It looks like a pretty big area to leave empty.

It is for future development according to the site plan.

yea so i'm assuming new renderings haven't been released by TEDCO yet.

they better get their act together. i've heard that the giant silver goober thing in the atrium was getting canned. BLASPHEMY!

i also heard that the black columns, which i'm assuming were granite, have been replaced with concrete.

the waterfront is too important for these shananigans!

^^ Alot of those changes were rectified by the city's review of the project. The big blob isn't back I don't think but it was said that the developer shouldn't use concrete pillars but something nicer.

This building gets bashed alot, when really, it is only supposed to be groundbreaking/stunning in the sense that it's the first building to be constructed in the East Bayfront plan, right on Queen's Quay. In a few years, it will be absolutely hidden by other East Bayfront projects.

It's going to be a handsome, functional building-- one of many such projects along the water.

That's how I see it.

Taken together with Pier 27 and the new George Brown campus, which I assume - given the architect designing it - will be a similarly Modernist complex of buildings, I'm optimistic that in a few years we'll have a complementary adjacency of buildings that will look lovely, just lovely, from the lake: residential, office, and institutional. Nice big lots like these can make all kinds of loveliness possible.

Exactly... it's not the Corus building itself that will really make a statement--- it's the surrounding area as a whole that will be very nice.

First Waterfront Place is just one piece of the quilt.

i don't particularly like mr. hume's brashness but he does make passionate arguments for greater architectural beauty in the city.

he was personally dissapointed (and i think we all were) when he saw that the corus building was drawing back from its bold, playful, and generally beautiful designs. given the significance of the land, and the future of the waterfront, i think this building cannot shy away from its potential.

in mr. hume's article, the developer or someone representing TEDCO stated that the building was not the sydney opera house, in hopes of silencing critics and lowering expectations.

but in a city as wealthy, beautiful and young as toronto, why shouldn't expect the sydney opera house?

i don't particularly like mr. hume's brashness but he does make passionate arguments for greater architectural beauty in the city.

he was personally dissapointed (and i think we all were) when he saw that the corus building was drawing back from its bold, playful, and generally beautiful designs. given the significance of the land, and the future of the waterfront, i think this building cannot shy away from its potential.

in mr. hume's article, the developer or someone representing TEDCO stated that the building was not the sydney opera house, in hopes of silencing critics and lowering expectations.

but in a city as wealthy, beautiful and young as toronto, why shouldn't expect the sydney opera house?

-We already have a massive visual icon on our skyline. (We don't need a Sydney Opera House.)

-We are in what could spiral into a massive recession.

-There is nothing sensible about a design like the Sydney Opera House. It's unnecessary.

- $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

-Etc...

Back