1.3K     2 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
i agree. its suppose to be a lrt but with all these stops we could be turning it into a streetcar. if we want to make street car lines id suggest bathurst and durrerin instead.

Couldn't agree with you more. Harris is a huge part of the reason that I now have an inherent distrust of conservative politicians. They always seem to screw things up. And the actions of His Worship Mayor Rob Ford only reaffirms this belief that I have.

Neither Harris or Ford were fiscal conservatives. You run it by the numbers (cost and benefit) and come out with the answer. Both worked from their gut (they believe) rather than fact.

Stintz is much more of a fiscal conservative than Ford is (evaluating a business case, performing risk analysis, etc.):
1) Business case on Eglinton: Are left hand turns over a 10 block span worth $2B. Would they enable generation of $2B of tax revenue over a 50 year period?
2) Risk Anaylsys: Is it probable the city will be able to fund expansion on Sheppard and Finch in a reasonable time frame. Based on Chong's report, this is a no.

All well and good for the young and the fit, but people with accessibility problems (the people living with the giant retirement home halfway between Royal York and Scarlett for example) will probably have a lot of difficulty with a 500m walk to their local stop.

Yes, they will, not to sound cruel but they would need to find a way to deal with it. You can't satisfy everyone's need. You don't build unnecessary stop just because a very limited number of handicapped people might need it. They can use the bus service.

Your argument is invalid. Should I say that again, nowhere in the world has subway stops everything 400-500 meters in the suburbs, not even Paris or London.

Will the Transit City use optional stops and stations? Would a passenger have to press a REQUEST STOP button to have the light rail train stop at the next stop or station? If there is no one at a stop or station, AND no one pressed the request button, would the train continue through the stop or station? If so, than the stop spacing maybe enough, if not, than wider spacing maybe required along with stopping at every stop or station.

Looks like the trains would be stopping at every stop or station, unless I'm wrong.

It is rather ironic that the community seems to want their cake and eat it too. They will have to choose - either speedy transit service or more frequents stops, not both. Just because it is going to be at grade and that frequents stops are possible (but undesirable) shouldn't mean the line should be implemented like an urban streetcar system.

AoD

Ah but what if the majority choose the option of more stops? Do we respect their wishes or do we force residents to accept less stops and faster transit?

Juan Lennon:

No, if everyone decided to add a station here and there you'd defeat the whole purpose.

Mark:

Don Mills isn't on the menu - and besides, unless one builds the DRL in one go all the way to the northern terminus some form of transfer will have to exist.

AoD

The only thing I do not like about LRTs is that you cannot implement the Request a Stop program

I really hope that the Request a Stop program does not get implemented. All it does is cause delays. And I never liked that the privilege was never given to all TTC customers. In a wold where we're calling for gender equality, it seems a little unfair that only women can use the program.

I really hope that the Request a Stop program does not get implemented. All it does is cause delays. And I never liked that the privilege was never given to all TTC customers. In a wold where we're calling for gender equality, it seems a little unfair that only women can use the program.

It cannot be implemented because you cannot stop an LRT away from a signalized intersection and have people jaywalking

Neither Harris or Ford were fiscal conservatives. You run it by the numbers (cost and benefit) and come out with the answer. Both worked from their gut (they believe) rather than fact.

Stintz is much more of a fiscal conservative than Ford is (evaluating a business case, performing risk analysis, etc.):
1) Business case on Eglinton: Are left hand turns over a 10 block span worth $2B. Would they enable generation of $2B of tax revenue over a 50 year period?
2) Risk Anaylsys: Is it probable the city will be able to fund expansion on Sheppard and Finch in a reasonable time frame. Based on Chong's report, this is a no.

Ford is a fiscal conservative. But he is just a bad one.

Ahh, your right. They changed the program to include all passengers in October.

But I'm still not a big fan of Request Stop. The TTC is not a taxi system and passengers should have to get off at stops if their safety is not at risk.

maybe I just dont notice it but I swear its extremely rare anyone uses the request stop service. Maybe 1 in every 20 times I use it at night. And I take the bus through Jane and Finch where people should be scared for their lives.

maybe I just dont notice it but I swear its extremely rare anyone uses the request stop service. Maybe 1 in every 20 times I use it at night. And I take the bus through Jane and Finch where people should be scared for their lives.

If that is the case, why do we still have this program?

Back