News   Apr 18, 2024
 171     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 500     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.8K     0 

West Don Lands: District Energy Centre (Steven Holl Architects)

I thought they eventually persuaded the PEC to put in district heating capability - will this be hooked to the DE site?

Is the cooling to be provided by Enwave-Deep Lake?

I thought they eventually persuaded the PEC to put in district heating capability - will this be hooked to the DE site?

Is the cooling to be provided by Enwave-Deep Lake?

You are correct that the PEC will have district heating, but I'm not sure if WDL will be connected. From my readings on the PEC they say it will provide district heating for future nearby neighbourhoods, so it could be WDL, East Bayfront and/or Port Lands

westdonlandsenergy.jpg

westdonlands_energyaerial2.jpg

westdonlands_energyaerial.jpg

The proposed district energy plant design has been altered and significantly improved
from the originally contemplated form in the precinct plan. The precinct plan had shown
a smaller, square shaped building at 1-2 storeys in height and 3000m2 in size. The
proposal has advanced to a longer, rectangular shaped building at 1 storey in height and
4535m2 in size. This new rectangular built form will provide a series of terraced steps for
pedestrians to access the green rooftop from either end of the building and ramps for
universal access.

With the rezoning submission, Waterfront Toronto noted that a temporary stack may be
constructed up to a height of 50 metres but the final height is determined by the Ministry
of the Environment. In future, once the development of the 24 storey residential building
to the north occurs, the temporary stack will be replaced by a permanent stack at an
approximate height of 88 metres that will be incorporated into the building concealing as
much of the stack as possible. Given the existing 26 metre height permission on the
block, it is anticipated that a rezoning application will be required for the height of the
permanent stack and residential building to the north. The permanent stack height will
also be determined by the Ministry of the Environment.

Update from Waterfrontoronto:

Updated schematic designs for the District Energy Centre in West Don Lands, which is being designed by world renowned firm Steven Holl Architects, were approved by Waterfront Toronto’s Design Review Panel at its February meeting. The updated designs include details for the landscape design and were required to meet budget reductions for the project. Planning for the project now proceed to the design development phase. The District Energy Centre will be located east of Cherry Street and north of the rail corridor and will feature the look and feel of the neighbouring Distillery District. It will include a transit plaza with a multi-coloured solar pergola and a reflecting pool and will lead to an elevated terraced green that connects the project to the future Don River Park. Construction of the facility will begin by the end of 2009.

wow, the design really took me by surprise. i think it's bizarre, but maybe i'll get used to it and eventually grow into the new design.

I think it looks cool. But I have to admit I'm confused here. I thought they just built a power plant?

Update from Waterfrontoronto:

Updated schematic designs for the District Energy Centre in West Don Lands, which is being designed by world renowned firm Steven Holl Architects, were approved by Waterfront Toronto’s Design Review Panel at its February meeting. The updated designs include details for the landscape design and were required to meet budget reductions for the project. Planning for the project now proceed to the design development phase. The District Energy Centre will be located east of Cherry Street and north of the rail corridor and will feature the look and feel of the neighbouring Distillery District. It will include a transit plaza with a multi-coloured solar pergola and a reflecting pool and will lead to an elevated terraced green that connects the project to the future Don River Park. Construction of the facility will begin by the end of 2009.

Where are you finding these updates on the site -I can't seem to find it anywhere?

The one thing that's scaring me is if you read it carefully they're talking about budget cuts ... that typically never leads to good things.

Back