Toronto King East Centre | 140m | 39s | First Gulf | WZMH

Dollarama signage is up

Dollarama signage is up.

And yes, that big green patch is the background for the signage.

Last week I spoke to a construction worker at the LCBO site. He mentioned that it would open around mid-May. I was told by someone who was stocking the shelves at the Dollarama, that they would be opening this coming Tuesday, May 1st.

April 26 update:

6972698402_b3a6410b6b_c.jpg

Dollarma opened this week, either Thursday or Friday. Employee in that store said that he'd heard that the liquor store will open on May 12th.

The addition looks like it will blend in nicely. What I don't like is the ugly National Bank signage. Wish we could have gotten a restaurant/bar/coffee shop of some sort in here.

I agree, that sign is unfortunate and having the bank there is a wasted opportunity to animate the corner. The fact that there is another bank just across the street, makes this corner useless for most people. We need more retail stores on this street. (that don't sell furniture)

I for one am glad there's finally a Scotiabank in the neighbourhood instead of having to walk all the way to Church just to make a deposit.

But its a national bank not a scotia...

I don't know if it is a Canada thing or not, but there sure seems to be a lot of bank branches on prime corners in our cities. I wonder if anyone has done an analysis of Google Streetview of such a thing? Is it also like this in Paris, London, Prague, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Chicago, San Fran, etc.? Just curious.

I don't know if it is a Canada thing or not, but there sure seems to be a lot of bank branches on prime corners in our cities. I wonder if anyone has done an analysis of Google Streetview of such a thing? Is it also like this in Paris, London, Prague, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Chicago, San Fran, etc.? Just curious.
Banks seem to move from having branches 'everywhere' to shutting them down and then starting to open them again. 40 years ago there were many many bank branches (look at all the older ex-bank branches around the city) but then in the 1980s and 1990s banks closed many of them. In last 5 years more and more are being opened. No doubt the pendulum will swing back again in due course but the next time they will not leave distinctive buildings behind as most branches are now in larger developments, like the King East Centre.

Banks used to be at the forefront of small-scale commercial architecture, leaving behind many beautiful structures through the 1800s, early and mid 1900s. Sadly something changed, and now if they're not merely part of a larger development, they're cheap banal structures built in some disgraceful shopping complex.

Back