Toronto Eau du Soleil Condos | 227.98m | 66s | Empire | Richmond Architects

The good thing is that the building still contributes to the Miami-like feeling around the area.

Maybe the Miami-look, but i dont know about, the feeling:D

Ohh by the way, i didn't. see this posted anywhere....nothing we dont already know
From City Planning

2183 LAKE SHORE BLVD W
Site Plan Approval 12 142282 WET 06 SA Ward 06
- Etob. York Mar 23, 2012 Application Submitted Apr 12, 2012 --- Hynes, Michael
416-394-8228
to construct mixed use/commercial residential development with 1,253 residential units in two towers of 40 and 62 storeys, sharing common podium

Last edited:
And is there anything fundamentally wrong with that?

Not very long ago, I wished that this area would becoming a booming destination community with lots of shops, restaurants, perhaps even nightclubs or whatnot; but the longer I work, the more I long coming home to a quiet area. I love the hustle and bustle of downtown and the 24/7 aspect of it, but I realize I love coming home to something quiet. If I need my dose of crazy, downtown is a 5 minute drive away.

I would love to see more restaurants, and perhaps a few more shops, but that's it.

I can see your point but it seems like a loss to me. While other suburbs in the GTA strive to build great mixed use neighrouhoods, really outside of the current nodes in Toronto i.e. Downtown / Yonge street (Which honestly is a node all on its own from top to bottom) and SCC the majority of construction is simply residential ... maybe downview has potential but that almost seems like its going to be a lost cause.

And is there anything fundamentally wrong with that?

Not very long ago, I wished that this area would becoming a booming destination community with lots of shops, restaurants, perhaps even nightclubs or whatnot; but the longer I work, the more I long coming home to a quiet area. I love the hustle and bustle of downtown and the 24/7 aspect of it, but I realize I love coming home to something quiet. If I need my dose of crazy, downtown is a 5 minute drive away.

I would love to see more restaurants, and perhaps a few more shops, but that's it.

Don't you think it would be better to have some highly animated, touristy areas outside of the downtown core, instead of just having almost every major attraction in one area? We downtowners keep hearing suburbanites screaming that it's not fair that the downtown core gets all the good stuff and they get nothing. Then when someone suggests building areas with mixed usage and maybe a few attractions, these same people fight it.

All my favourite cities have great neighbourhoods and attractions in different areas, so the whole city is interesting to explore, not just the downtown core. With Etobicoke's great waterfront setting, I think it would be a great place to have some major attractions or at least a distinctive, animated district. Isn't that what the "South Beach" shopping strip is trying to achieve? The more fun and interesting areas we create in Toronto, the more options we all have, to get out and really enjoy the city we live in. Right now, the Etobicoke waterfront is pretty boring but it doesn't have to stay that way. Give people a good reason to come out there and they will.

I'd love to see a large pleasure pier built right into the water, with retail, restaurants, amusements and different attractions. People always complain on this site, that Toronto is lacking in major attractions and I agree. A few top quality attractions in different parts of the city, can only make Toronto a better place for tourists and for us. The Etobicoke waterfront is too nice of a place to keep it all to yourself. Don't be so selfish.

Last edited:
Don't you think it would be better to have some highly animated, touristy areas outside of the downtown core, instead of just having almost every major attraction in one area? We downtowners keep hearing suburbanites screaming that it's not fair that the downtown core gets all the good stuff and they get nothing. Then when someone suggests building areas with mixed usage and maybe a few attractions, these same people fight it.

All my favourite cities have great neighbourhoods and attractions in different areas, so the whole city is interesting to explore, not just the downtown core. With Etobicoke's great waterfront setting, I think it would be a great place to have some major attractions or at least a distinctive, animated district. Isn't that what the "South Beach" shopping strip is trying to achieve? The more fun and interesting areas we create in Toronto, the more options we all have, to get out and really enjoy the city we live in. Right now, the Etobicoke waterfront is pretty boring but it doesn't have to stay that way. Give people a good reason to come out there and they will.

I'd love to see a large pleasure pier built right into the water, with retail, restaurants, amusements and different attractions. People always complain on this site, that Toronto is lacking in major attractions and I agree. A few top quality attractions in different parts of the city, can only make Toronto a better place for tourists and for us. The Etobicoke waterfront is too nice of a place to keep it all to yourself. Don't be so selfish.

It is a bad, bad, bad idea to make this neighbourhood any more desirable than it already is. There are no plans to improve traffic or transit in the area. It is geographically constrained by rivers, a highway, a railway, which makes all traffic travel east or west as north/south connections are few and far between. The severe dumping of new condos in the next few years is going to make this into a nightmare. People already travel to the parks with their cars, dumping them all along Marine Parade making it so congested that emergency vehicles cannot fit between parked vehicles. It is a mess, and it is only going to get worse.

I am all for something new and exciting to anchor the strip, but first thing's first, give us reliable transit and improved infrastructure, not a derelict streetcar. There are going to be 30k new residents in this area by 2020.. Hell, we need a subway.

Last edited:
It is a bad, bad, bad idea to make this neighbourhood any more desirable than it already is. There are no plans to improve traffic or transit in the area. It is geographically constrained by rivers, a highway, a railway, which makes all traffic travel east or west as north/south connections are few and far between. The severe dumping of new condos in the next few years is going to make this into a nightmare. People already travel to the parks with their cars, dumping them all along Marine Parade making it so congested that emergency vehicles cannot fit between parked vehicles. It is a mess, and it is only going to get worse.

I am all for something new and exciting to anchor the strip, but first thing's first, give us reliable transit and improved infrastructure, not a derelict streetcar. There are going to be 30k new residents in this area by 2020.. Hell, we need a subway.

lakeshore subway... I wish. that should be the next focus point after the DRL IMO.

lakeshore subway... I wish. that should be the next focus point after the DRL IMO.

The Lakeshore Subway idea was more tongue-in-cheek, but there should be something. Lakeshore GO with a stop in the neighbourhood and 5-10 min service frequency would get the job done. Humber loop should be abolished or relocated past Mimico and the frequency of the 66D bus should be at least doubled.

It really is a heavenly neighbourhood to live in. I'm an avid recreational cyclist/jogger and the infrastructure in this area is incredible. On a beautiful summer day, the lake feels more like a great sea and the throngs of people enjoying the scenery just adds to the whole experience.

People who don't live in the area or visit the western beaches frequently probably do not realize how busy it is. Much of it is cyclist/jogging traffic, but there's nothing wrong with that and it is packed besides. With Westlake being built the area will get many of the neighbourhood amenities within walking distance it is now missing, and hopefully the new developments will add a few additional restaurants and cafes, but it doesn't need anything more than that (other than the Lakeshore LRT). What would be nice is if the Western Beaches Waterfront plan was implemented to improve the park on the east side of the bridge (I think the lakefront right by the condos is very nicely done, fun to walk on the rocks with the kids). Give Sunnyside Pavilion a paint job and clean-up. Tons of people use this park but it is not well maintained and the beach is a disaster. Seriously, go out here on a clear spring night when the moon is big over the lights of the skyline, and it is the best spot in Toronto. You don't need a pleasure pier or other distraction.

A couple points here:
1) Compared to many cities I've visited Toronto has many unique neighborhood close to the core so to a certain degree we have this.

2) But I do see your point, and we're getting it ! But it so happens not in the 416 proper, rather, MCC, VCC, and downtown Markham.

Don't forgot waterfront Toronto should create more areas.

eds.jpg

Attachments

• eds.jpg
    eds.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 341

Back