News   Mar 28, 2024
 925     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 530     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 830     0 

Best Burger

Toronto's Big Smoke Burger is expanding to New York and Chicago.

We must have been off doing pagan things, going on unicorn pony rides and all that, on May Day, because somehow we missed the news that the five-unit, Toronto-based burger chain Big Smoke Burger will open a Manhattan flagship by the end of this year, with an expansion to Chicago already in the works. A development company called Fransmart, which helped turn Five Guys Burgers & Fries from a regional brand into a big burger empire, has helped the franchise cross the border, and now the entrepreneur Anthony Fauci, who also brought Rome import Obikà to midtown, is said to be working on opening a combined 50 Big Smoke Burger locations between here and Chicago in the next few years.

We must have been off doing pagan things, going on unicorn pony rides and all that, on May Day, because somehow we missed the news that the five-unit, Toronto-based burger chain Big Smoke Burger will open a Manhattan flagship by the end of this year, with an expansion to Chicago already in the works. A development company called Fransmart, which helped turn Five Guys Burgers & Fries from a regional brand into a big burger empire, has helped the franchise cross the border, and now the entrepreneur Anthony Fauci, who also brought Rome import Obikà to midtown, is said to be working on opening a combined 50 Big Smoke Burger locations between here and Chicago in the next few years.

In case anybody else is wondering: Apparently this is not Anthony Fauci the HIV expert. It is Anthony Fauci the mozzarella expert! http://www.luxist.com/2011/02/21/new-york-city-mozzarella-bar-introduces-missing-link/

After trying Five-Guys-Burgers today for the first time (Dundas Sq) I have to say that I don't get what all the hype is about!

I ordered the Cheeseburger on its own ($9 with tax!). The Burger is massive but the buns don't do a good job of holding everything together - in fact they quickly fell apart in my hands. The Burger comes with two thin beef patties so well cooked that they are dry - not juicy at all - and the beef had no discernible flavor. Taking away further from the Burger was the fact that the Cheese was not fully melted.

The Burger while perfectly edible was nothing that I would buy again. Just not worth it for that price.

While the Burger was edible the fries were something else! I sampled my friends fries and they were probably the worst fries I have ever tasted (had I ordered them I would have asked for my money back). The exterior of the fries were soggy and very greasy whereas the inside didn't seem to be fully cooked. I don't know what the process is for frying them but I suspect that they leave out the essential blanching process.

I really don't understand why this burger chain is all the rage across North America. For less than what I paid for the Burger I could have had a Wendy's Hot 'n Juicy double-cheese Burger Combo which is far tastier.

Last edited:
What I do not like and find completely unacceptable is the growing practice of certain fast food chains serving HALAL meat without warning their patrons! :mad:

For example, I did not know until very recently, that the HERO Certified Burger chains serves ONLY HALAL meat!

There are no signs inside the store warning patrons and yet on their website you will find this! http://www.heroburgers.com/pdf/Heritage-Angus-Beef-halal.pdf

Why would you need to be "warned" that a restaurant serves halal (or Kosher or non-halal or non-Kosher) meat? (Unlike, say, the DineSafe warnings made by city health inspectors. I would want to see those warnings conspicuously displayed.)

Their home page of their website touts (right under the logo):

100% Seasoned Heritage Angus Beef
Raised without Hormones or Antibiotics
Gluten-Free / Halal Certified

I don't think they're hiding anything. I fact, they are touting that as a good thing.

Last edited:
I had two burgers recently that I was impressed with: Barberians (only available at lunch; it was huge, cooked to order, and absolutely delicious...not cheap, though) and the County General (also cooked to order (although cooked slightly over the medium rare I ordered) and also very good). I recommend both.

Priest is good, but the patties are small and the price is large. The one in my neighbourhood is always lined up out the door, and once you order the wait is usually 10 minutes minimum - in a 150 square foot room with 30 people and nowhere to sit. I prefer Holy Chuck for a couple of reasons. Even though it is further away, there is a lot of seating and they have a much better menu. Tastes almost identical to Burgers Priest and I think that was the intention (with similar religious-type names). Who knows,it could even be run by the same people. Fact of the matter is this. The burgers at Priest are reeeaaallly good. The problem is, they are best enjoyed right off of the griddle, and there is practically no seating available. By the time you get some place where you can sit and dig in, the bun is a soupy mess from the burger juices - which is a sign of juicy these burgers are, unfortunately you wont get the best experience unless you live within 90 seconds walking distance from the place (or there is magically a chair available). Same problem with Stockyards. I want it hot and fresh not left sitting in a bag for 10 minutes while I rush home.

Fans of The Burger's Priest should check out Holy Chuck Burgers at Yonge, just south of St. Clair. As for who is better I can't say, but I like 'em both.

After getting a rave review from a co-worker, my plan is to partake in a Holy Chuck Burger this weekend. Might have to check out The Burger Priest at some point too after reading everyone's solid reviews. Just my two cents, never understood the hype about Apache Burger. I've tasted many burgers that were better. Maybe the layout?

After trying Five-Guys-Burgers today for the first time (Dundas Sq) I have to say that I don't get what all the hype is about!

I ordered the Cheeseburger on its own ($9 with tax!). The Burger is massive but the buns don't do a good job of holding everything together - in fact they quickly fell apart in my hands. The Burger comes with two thin beef patties so well cooked that they are dry - not juicy at all - and the beef had no discernible flavor. Taking away further from the Burger was the fact that the Cheese was not fully melted.

The Burger while perfectly edible was nothing that I would buy again. Just not worth it for that price.

While the Burger was edible the fries were something else! I sampled my friends fries and they were probably the worst fries I have ever tasted (had I ordered them I would have asked for my money back). The exterior of the fries were soggy and very greasy whereas the inside didn't seem to be fully cooked. I don't know what the process is for frying them but I suspect that they leave out the essential blanching process.

I really don't understand why this burger chain is all the rage across North America. For less than what I paid for the Burger I could have had a Wendy's Hot 'n Juicy double-cheese Burger Combo which is far tastier.
The fries seem hit or miss. They're either really good, or really bad. Maybe it's who's cooking them. I like the cajun style, but sometimes they put way too much of the spice and salt.

As for the burgers... wow that is completely different from my experience. Every time I get a burger there, it is just amazing. Cheese all melted, patties nice and juicy. I've only had one burger experience I wasn't happy with there, and it was because they put too much mustard and ketchup, so it was all sloppy. Their prices are definitely too high though. I wonder if the other stores are cheaper... and it's just the location making this stores prices more.

Five-Guys-Burgers is always good in the states. Like all food in Toronto, its hit and miss. Outside the GTA you would probably have a better burger.

Hey everyone. Does anyone know a good burger joint near Church and Wellesley? This area is lacking in good food options.

Back