News   Apr 15, 2024
 920     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 646     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Is there a key question here?

I have an iambic key with red paddles around here somewhere. Something like this:

by2.jpg

The office where my grandfather J.M.S. Careless wrote many of his books.
img049.jpg

How great to see this. As an avid reader of his works, it's really something to see his office as it was. I didn't attend U of T where he taught ( I attended York); but I'm reminded how well Canada's history has been documented by our historians such as he and Jack Granatstein. I had my own favourite profs at York,.. John Gellner, the former RAF Wing Commander, whose lectures were a wonderful mix of instruction and personal recollections of the Battle of Britain.

Thank you hawc for these images. What great images to wind up 2011.

And thank you also brewster, thecharioteer and Goldie (and sorry for those I've missed) for posting their vivid personal images and reminisces in this thread over the last few years.

I have an iambic key with red paddles around here somewhere. Something like this:

by2.jpg

How very interesting. I have a somewhat similar pastime. I (very :) )occasionally listen to distant AM radio stations at night when the Sun's radiation doesn't interfere.

This seems to be a receiver only, so no "ham".

Correct. To this day my dad only likes to listen to shortwave radio not talk back and forth on ham radios. He keeps a list of all the radio stations he's able to hear from around the world.

Glad you guys enjoy the photos, they were digitized from old Kodak slides my uncles and aunts had sitting in storage.

How great to see this. As an avid reader of his works, it's really something to see his office as it was. I didn't attend U of T where he taught ( I attended York); but I'm reminded how well Canada's history has been documented by our historians such as he and Jack Granatstein.

Very nice to hear. Depending on what year you were at York he may have set your history exam as there were standardized across Ontario back then and he set them for a while. :)

Two more colour pics from that era:

img077.jpg

img048.jpg

Last edited:
Then and Now for Dec 27.

Then. 'Warehouse of Messrs. A.A. Allan & Co. Bay Street.' This was located on Bay Street, E side, just S of Wellington. Image is c1891 and is courtesy of wwwebster.

This building was also destroyed in the Great Toronto Fire of 1904 - please refer back to the map r937 posted yesterday to see its location.

325bBayEsideSofWellingtonc1891.jpg

Now. July 2011.

326.jpg

Not a fan of strip clubs, but it is interesting how many new developments destroy the very neighbourhood culture they use to attract buyers in the first place.

The King & John area feels like in 20 years time it will be like, "Come on down to the exciting... condo district... where there are so many great.... condos!" The local businesses that condo developers used to sell the excitement of the place may all be condos.

And hey I live in a condo, so I've got nothing against them at all, but we need to keep some kind of street culture. Otherwise the street signs will say, "The Subway Sandwich/Nail Salon/Dry Cleaning District"

How very interesting. I have a somewhat similar pastime. I (very :) )occasionally listen to distant AM radio stations at night when the Sun's radiation doesn't interfere.

Actually, it's the solar radiation that carry that propagation. FM doesn't demonstrate this and is basically "line of sight". I have a shortwave long wire made out of speaker wire that runs outside the length of my house, three times in a zig zag fashion. Bedroom to office to back deck to living room window, inside to my Grundig. I should take some time out and listen. Best time to listen is during Grey Line, where the day and night meet. Ionization happens most then, so signals go far. Shortwave, all on sideband AM, is just so much more.

This is a question. Why when you stare at a negative you see a positive? I thought this was a facebook joke but gave it a shot and it worked. Stare at the red dot on the girl's nose for 30 seconds then look at the ceiling and blink. Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this Mustapha , I just figured it was a photography question and all you guys and girls seem to be the most knowledgeable on the subject. Still being fairly new to this thread Mustapha , I thank you for the honorable mention above.

405872_10150463688143773_645483772_8648350_1820014422_n by Mr T.O., on Flickr

Actually, it's the solar radiation that carry that propagation. FM doesn't demonstrate this and is basically "line of sight". I have a shortwave long wire made out of speaker wire that runs outside the length of my house, three times in a zig zag fashion. Bedroom to office to back deck to living room window, inside to my Grundig. I should take some time out and listen. Best time to listen is during Grey Line, where the day and night meet. Ionization happens most then, so signals go far. Shortwave, all on sideband AM, is just so much more.

My dad has a hobby where he'll tune into an AM station (say 680News) and then see how many other stations he can find broadcasting on the same wave length 'behind' the main station. For instance behind 680News there might be another 680 AM station in Detroit, Cleveland, Kansas City, Atlanta etc. Not sure how the technology works, but he's also got one of those big antennas running the length of his back yard and back to his home.

Not a fan of strip clubs, but it is interesting how many new developments destroy the very neighbourhood culture they use to attract buyers in the first place.

The King & John area feels like in 20 years time it will be like, "Come on down to the exciting... condo district... where there are so many great.... condos!" The local businesses that condo developers used to sell the excitement of the place may all be condos.

And hey I live in a condo, so I've got nothing against them at all, but we need to keep some kind of street culture. Otherwise the street signs will say, "The Subway Sandwich/Nail Salon/Dry Cleaning District"

The Hazelton Hotel on Yorkville killed off some of the pedestrian life along Yorkville Avenue...

This is a question. Why when you stare at a negative you see a positive? I thought this was a facebook joke but gave it a shot and it worked. Stare at the red dot on the girl's nose for 30 seconds then look at the ceiling and blink. Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this Mustapha , I just figured it was a photography question and all you guys and girls seem to be the most knowledgeable on the subject. Still being fairly new to this thread Mustapha , I thank you for the honorable mention above.

405872_10150463688143773_645483772_8648350_1820014422_n by Mr T.O., on Flickr

Doesn't work for me brewster,.. sorry. :(

Back