Berczy Condos, The (Concert Properties) - Real Estate -

My friend bought a unit for $559 a square foot, is this over priced for this building? Also his unit is above the 4th floor and facing West on the South end of the building (second unit from the end). Will his view be blocked by London on the Esplanade? I think he will be fine as he is one unit in and there is that building off the Esplanade. Thoughts on the view and price anyone?

then I guess is the C3, 2 bed unit, 865 sq ft on the 5th floor?http://www.theberczy.com/pdf/planC3.pdf

great layout, huge balcony, a large 14'3" linear kitchen with lots of storage. I think the price is okay, that's the market price for that type of building and location, I don't think it is over priced. It won't have a clear west view as you have London on the Esplanade, the adjacent 56 the Esplanade building and maybe he will be looking at some mechanical rooftop, but the unit has huge windows, it will be bright, I think he will be fine.

You know your stuff! Yes, it's the C3 unit. I am hoping he will have a bit of the city view and the CN tower, I guess he will have to wait until 2013!

you can see the bird's eye aerial view of the site in this website and then, looking at the floorplate you can locate the position of the unit. then if you walk by the site you will be able to have an idea of which view you will have
http://www.bing.com/maps/

I was reviewing the unit features sheet that was posted on the preview site and was wondering if they were all standard features? I.e. the built-in appliances, hardwood in the bedrooms, smooth ceilings, etc... Does anyone know the details on the standard features?

Thoughts on the Berczy, currect overheated market conditions, buy or wait and see??

Hi guys/gals, I was one of the first ppl to make it in on Saturday (1115am) and ended up picking up a C4 for 552K with parking on the 7th floor/West facing. I was originally looking for a 1Br or a 1+den, but they were all gone. I guess I got caught up in the frenzy!! While there, I started talking with two other purchasers looking around for ppl in the same predicament, I guess, they were looking for affirmation to justify their purchase--we all were :eek:..haha.
Not being one to give up, I ended up in the sales center on Sunday, this time at 1020am, and ended up scoring a 1+den (B4) on the third floor/East facing for 392K with locker. I was excited about the prospect of moving into the area! I also loved the layout of the B4.
I now had 10 days to do all my research to make sure I had made the right purchase, knowing fully that I was overpaying by at least 10-20%, given the current overheated market, I had hours of research ahead of me!
I returned C4 the day after I got the B4, but after doing tons of research, decided to hold back and wait for the market to stabilize (*read: DROP/crash)--IMHO of course.
Just wanted to get some of other thoughts/feelings/research out there? Hold back and wait and see or buy?

I agree that the area is second to none, the development will be beautiful, and the building is likely an end user building.

Last edited:
WeirdFishes - I agree with carturo... it's an exceptional floor plan. It's wide with nothing but window! No wasted space. In fact, lots of space and plenty of closet and storage. Plus a very large balcony! Some might argue that the kitchen needs an island. I've noticed that people either love or hate linear kitchens. I like them because they provide for more spacious living. If you're a chef, you might think differently. Wow, walk into that unit with all that space and window and it's going to feel very large. If it were the same size but bowling alley then it would be the same amount of space but wouldn't feel like it. I think it's an excellent choice. As for the views, no, he won't get a great city view, but he won't have a bad view either. While London might block the view of downtown, he will still have the stretch of low buildings in between as opposed to a tower right across from his window. I think the pros will completely outweigh any of the cons.

I returned C4 the day after I got the B4, but after doing tons of research, decided to hold back and wait for the market to stabilize (*read: DROP/crash)--IMHO of course.
Just wanted to get some of other thoughts/feelings/research out there? Hold back and wait and see or buy?

I would say congratulations on your purchase and hold onto it. Did you say you got the B4 for $292K? That's less than $400 psf! Am I reading that correctly?

The market will stabilize, but don't expect it to crash. Even if it were to crash, how much could it crash for that to be considered a bad deal? Also you're planning on living in it so your fear of a crash isn't as bad as an investors. I think you may be taking an overly cautious point of view.

I was reviewing the unit features sheet that was posted on the preview site and was wondering if they were all standard features? I.e. the built-in appliances, hardwood in the bedrooms, smooth ceilings, etc... Does anyone know the details on the standard features?

Yes...those are all standard features. About the hardwood in the bedrooms...I asked about this and it is only the interior bedrooms (the ones with sliding doors) that have hardwood in them. The main bedrooms with an actual door are floored with carpeting I believe.

WeirdFishes - I agree with carturo... it's an exceptional floor plan. It's wide with nothing but window! No wasted space. In fact, lots of space and plenty of closet and storage. Plus a very large balcony! Some might argue that the kitchen needs an island. I've noticed that people either love or hate linear kitchens. I like them because they provide for more spacious living. If you're a chef, you might think differently. Wow, walk into that unit with all that space and window and it's going to feel very large. If it were the same size but bowling alley then it would be the same amount of space but wouldn't feel like it. I think it's an excellent choice. As for the views, no, he won't get a great city view, but he won't have a bad view either. While London might block the view of downtown, he will still have the stretch of low buildings in between as opposed to a tower right across from his window. I think the pros will completely outweigh any of the cons.

I would say congratulations on your purchase and hold onto it. Did you say you got the B4 for $292K? That's less than $400 psf! Am I reading that correctly?

The market will stabilize, but don't expect it to crash. Even if it were to crash, how much could it crash for that to be considered a bad deal? Also you're planning on living in it so your fear of a crash isn't as bad as an investors. I think you may be taking an overly cautious point of view.

I think he meant $392 000 as I got the same unit on the third floor as well facing east! I agree with UrbanVigor that if you're planning on living there then it shouldn't matter as much whether the market will go down a bit since you will not be selling anytime in the near future. Also, there aren't that many more (if any at all) pieces of land where a condo can come up around the St. Lawrence Market and this is a prime prime location in my eyes. At $392 000 it's about 530 psf which I think is a great deal when compared to the rest of the buildings in the area.

I think he meant $392 000 as I got the same unit on the third floor as well facing east! I agree with UrbanVigor that if you're planning on living there then it shouldn't matter as much whether the market will go down a bit since you will not be selling anytime in the near future. Also, there aren't that many more (if any at all) pieces of land where a condo can come up around the St. Lawrence Market and this is a prime prime location in my eyes. At $392 000 it's about 530 psf which I think is a great deal when compared to the rest of the buildings in the area.

I knew $292K sounded too good to be true! :) But even at $392K, as 3dmund says, is a great deal.

It's true that there isn't that much more land available around there and it is definitely a prime location. I bought at Market Wharf, just south of the market, and had The Berczy been on the same schedule I think I would have a very difficult decision to make. There are pros and cons to each, but I'll be envious of anyone who is able to own a condo right at the corner of Front & Church. It also looks like it's going to be a very well done and thought out development.

Definitely hold onto that unit. You did not over pay. You got a good deal and it will only appreciate over time no matter what happens over this year and next in the RE market. Most importantly, you'll be living in one of the most prime locations in Toronto. I love SLM and am so excited for my condo to be built! You'll feel the same way too.

all the units come also with roller blinds and the appliances package is excellent, Liebherr fully integrated fridge, AEG fully integrared disgwasher, AEG cooktop and oven, panasonic Oven and a slideout Faber range hood. The terraces will have gas for BBQ

I think it's a great deal for that area. It's the places that are charging $600+/ft for non luxury that will suffer (think Maple Leaf/Ice, etc). At $530 you're pretty safe even if there's a 20% correction.

Back