Toronto INDX Condos | 178.6m | 54s | Lifetime | P + S / IBI

I agree, Toronto should have had its first W hotel 5 years ago. I've always found it strange that Toronto doesn't have one. It's not like Starwood is a stranger to this city, nor are they in any way concentrated in one area like some other hotel chains tend to be. I guess they took notice of the Thompson's very successful foray into the 416.

If this does turn out to be the future location for a W Hotel, I must say it is kind of a strange one. Most W locations, the ones in downtown areas at least, tend to be in bustling neighbourhoods that are at least somewhat alive at night. Has anyone taken a stroll down Temperance on a Friday night? Ghost town. I'm not saying putting a hotel on this lot won't bring a little more life to this all but vacant street, but it will be the only source of life in an otherwise lifeless area after 7pm.
Do these boutique hotels do any research on where they put their locations? The failed boutique attempt turned Tridel Reve on Front facing the very entertaining railway pit comes to mind. If I were searching for a location for my W hotel, I'd put it on the lot at Queen & Simcoe, facing Nota Bene. Of course I'm just shooting from the hip here, there are likely many reasons that parking lot sits forever undeveloped.

It's not a very long cab (or limo) ride to a lot of Toronot's more lively downtown neighbourhoods though. I also imagine there'll be a decent amount of business travellers who'd appreciate this very central location.

I agree, Toronto should have had its first W hotel 5 years ago. I've always found it strange that Toronto doesn't have one. It's not like Starwood is a stranger to this city, nor are they in any way concentrated in one area like some other hotel chains tend to be. I guess they took notice of the Thompson's very successful foray into the 416.

If this does turn out to be the future location for a W Hotel, I must say it is kind of a strange one. Most W locations, the ones in downtown areas at least, tend to be in bustling neighbourhoods that are at least somewhat alive at night. Has anyone taken a stroll down Temperance on a Friday night? Ghost town. I'm not saying putting a hotel on this lot won't bring a little more life to this all but vacant street, but it will be the only source of life in an otherwise lifeless area after 7pm.
Do these boutique hotels do any research on where they put their locations? The failed boutique attempt turned Tridel Reve on Front facing the very entertaining railway pit comes to mind. If I were searching for a location for my W hotel, I'd put it on the lot at Queen & Simcoe, facing Nota Bene. Of course I'm just shooting from the hip here, there are likely many reasons that parking lot sits forever undeveloped.

No no, of course globally successful billion dollar lodging companies don't do any research into their locations. They just throw their money around.

For whatever reasons Starwood just didn't get the right deal on the right property at the right time in Toronto... until now it seems. No-one currently goes down Temperance, because there's nothing on it. Build this tower, and there will be something on it, and just a short block off Bay. It's not like they are building it in Vaughan, or some other godforsaken backwater.

Having stayed at the W in New York on Lexington a couple of times, I'm not really sure what the big deal is. I've stayed at better hotels for lower prices. About the only thing that W had going for it was its location, beyond that I didn't see the appeal. I tend to like hanging out at hotel bars for a couple of drinks before packing it in, but the bar at the one I stayed at turns into a club full of bridge-and-tunnel Jersey Shore caricatures every night, which is annoying as hell when all I want is a couple of quiet beers in peace.

In fact, Skyline has gotten back to us. The story about the Canada Tower being the future home of the Toronto W, which we reported on as unconfirmed, is premature, and only one of many possibilities for the tower. The video was intended for internal use only, and should never have appeared on YouTube. We will let you know when we know more, but for the time being, just chalk this up as 'one-of-those-things'.

Here's the video in case u guys are lazy:

Did anyone notice at 1:07 that the location is WRONG!?!?!! it should be on the west side of bay street. FAIL! (that is on top of the infamous "finnancial capital" typo!)

[video=youtube;KCZlsrbI-r4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCZlsrbI-r4[/video]

For some reason the video will not play - it says it is a private video and "you must accept thr sender's friend request"

Is it just my computer? or am i missing something/

No its not your computer, they locked the video. Hopefully they will create a new one without the spelling errors

No its not your computer, they locked the video. Hopefully they will create a new one without the spelling errors

they've caught on to us! this will go down as the greatest coverup in urbantoronto history.

Good thing i watched it before it was taken down. shoulda downloaded a copy...
let's hope they'll improve the video :)

In fact, Skyline has gotten back to us. The story about the Canada Tower being the future home of the Toronto W, which we reported on as unconfirmed, is premature, and only one of many possibilities for the tower. The video was intended for internal use only, and should never have appeared on YouTube. We will let you know when we know more, but for the time being, just chalk this up as 'one-of-those-things'.

Is it possible that the architectural design is premature too?

condo in downtown

Good place to sleep if it is a hotel and "in the middle of a ghost town".

With the W on top, it kinda reminded me of this:

Romulus-AdministrativeDistrict2368.jpg

Source

Back