Toronto U Condominiums | 183.79m | 56s | Pemberton | a—A

In my opinion, no. I'm told the only reason they are even allowed is because of original lofts, which required such provisions due to their large, industrial floorplates. Some developers are now piggybacking on that to create new buildings with interior "bedrooms", which I don't agree with.

But, to go back to your original point, the relationship between size and number of bedrooms is loose. I've seen 1 bedroom units with 500 sqft and 2000 sqft. Having said that, I do agree that it's crazy to cram 3 bedrooms in 900 sqft.

what appears to be the current rendering ... as shown in the FLASH movie on U condo's website

Ucondos.jpg

I wish it was more urban considering the location. The towers on a short podium of townhouses would work better on a back street in North York.

I have to agree, it does look a bit odd in that picture, kind of suburban. I do like however how the balcony's look a bit askew and off from the other vertical lines as you near the top. A nice effect imo

The complex reminds me of Pulse in North York (not surprising since it is Pemberton) with the glass towers lined up off-centre from each other and on a very boring podium. Some of the City Place podiums look better than this

The podium references the stone used throughout the University, as other recent buildings adjacent to the campus have done - the McKinsey building and the Isabel Bader Theatre for instance.

Re: the name - it'll divide the world into "U" and "non-U" types, I guess ...

The podium of this one seems to match or echo the Woodsworth dorm at the corner of St. George & Bloor (vertical windows, yellow brick on 2nd & 3rd floor).

Considering it's right next to U of T, or as some call it, University of Toronto, I would think the name "U Condos" was meant to reflect that, no?

I've just heard the radio jingle for this one.

Perhaps the name is trying to reflect the "me" generation. The ad sings over and over again: "It's all about you."

Either way, the jingle writing companies in this city must be raking it in. How would they have survived without the condo boom?

Either way, the jingle writing companies in this city must be raking it in. How would they have survived without the condo boom?

Seriously. I heard the jingle for Fly Condos and another (I think this one) on The Edge during two commercial segments in a row.

I can see that. This type of location is pretty rare downtown, it's like living next door to a park. Imagine, if you left the building and walked west, you wouldn't run into any more residential until you hit Spadina. That's amazing.

I don't know about that. If you live closer to the lake, City place is building a big park. If you live near the water front there's a lot of parks. Music park, the park further down near Tip Top. HTO park at lakeshore. And I think they're going to build a park of sorts by pier 27. U of T seems to have a lot of park area too judging from the map of shangri la.

Back