News   Mar 28, 2024
 935     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 535     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 830     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
new pic from the metropolis website....

1187448878.jpg

Just wait till the marketing campaign begins for my forthcoming film, "What a Fuck-Ugly Piece of Non-Architecture."

from it's inception, Yonge and Dundas has been about retailing cash flow. It only became a mecca for Architecture, when the Eaton Centre was completed 30 years ago. Modelled on the Italian Mall ( Place Vittiro Emmanual?? ) in Milan.

So you really can't harp on how bad this building is, because it will serve a purpose.

You are kidding, right? We can't complain about architecture if a building serves a purpose? And we can't demand decent architecture if the surrounding buildings are ugly?

We might as well shut down the architecture schools because apparently we don't need them. We can just have engineers design functional buildings with no aesthetic considerations.

You are kidding, right? We can't complain about architecture if a building serves a purpose? And we can't demand decent architecture if the surrounding buildings are ugly?

We might as well shut down the architecture schools because apparently we don't need them. We can just have engineers design functional buildings with no aesthetic considerations.

yeah, but it fits in with it's surroundings.

Could you imagine building putting a Gehry Museum in the middle of Dundas Square?; it just wouldn't make any sense.

You have to admit this area is architecturally cohesive.

Cohesive in its ugliness. I am not sure that is a virtue.

And why can't we have high quality design in every corner of our city? Berlin has demanded such in its new commercial district. The new buildings in Times Square are certainly of better quality and design. Why should we settle for crap and then try to rationalize it?

And why can't we have high quality design in every corner of our city? Berlin has demanded such in its new commercial district. The new buildings in Times Square are certainly of better quality and design. Why should we settle for crap and then try to rationalize it?

Cause we live in toronto? :(

Cause we live in toronto? :(

I don't want to see any frowny faces following lines that comment on our Toronto-based residency!!

I suppose I don't want to see any Smiliesâ„¢ at all, but, you know, some are worse than others.

Hugo, here's how I would propose your last comment should have read:

You're right alklay, my comments were totally crazed, I didn't sleep well last night, the rent's past due, my upcoming liposuction is weighing heavily (pardon the pun): it's all been colouring my commentary. Thank goodness we live in Toronto!!! :) :) :)

Perhaps, in his "Cause we live in toronto?" quip, caltrane74 is simply accepting the reality of how the city can work at the moment, rather than actively advocating for hideousness?

It's a long hard slog convincing many people that the principles of good design should apply to everything that's built, or manufactured for consumers, and that no parts of the city, or of 905, or anywhere else for that matter should be seen as a dumping ground for shoddyness. The "naaah, it's just a commercial space" rote dismissal is quite pernicious.

Indeed, maybe our caltrane74 is the poster boy for the realpolitik "Cause we live in toronto?" movement - lower case "t" and all - that holds so many in it's thrall?

In a way, since they're so grounded in our city and those values, I prefer them to the nervous, nail-biting "world class" bunch, glued to their glossy foreign architectural magazines and denying that we're unique in any way ...

;)

You can have them. I will take the person looking at foreign architecture mags and demanding better than those who fear to look beyond their own backyards.

Back