221     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how you Ford bashers ignore the $285 million dollar surplus.
Hang on. Ford criticized Miller endlessly back in 2010 for a similar size surplus, accusing him of gross incompetency for not having the budget right in the first place.

Surely it's rather hypocritical to then applaud Ford, for something which is merely a systemic failure in the city's budgeting methodology.

I love how you Ford bashers ignore the $285 million dollar surplus. Proper fiscal policy may not be your concern but for the majority of Torontonians who voted for him it sure is. I'm glad to see there is someone out there handling business and not wasting tax payer money. Make fun of him all you want the man is getting re-elected and I am sure it will be by an even by margin of victory then before.

If you realized that the vast majority (entirety?) of that surplus came from the Land Transfer Tax that Rob Ford wants to cancel, you'd surely have taken the opportunity to prevent yourself from sounding silly and revealing yourself to be totally uninformed.

If you realized that the vast majority (entirety?) of that surplus came from the Land Transfer Tax that Rob Ford wants to cancel, you'd surely have taken the opportunity to prevent yourself from sounding silly and revealing yourself to be totally uninformed.

And think of how much more the surplus would be, if Ford hadn't cancelled the car registration fee/tax.

common now, how is Ford nation suppose to deal with real facts and figures ?!?!?

But you see, he's speaking for the "taxpayers". You don't expect them to be "informed". On;y the pointy-heads are "informed".

The transit fiasco is truly messed up. We have centrists and lefties arguing for the most pragmatic fiscally prudent option while we have traditionally right-wing folks advocating a tax-and-spend approach. I don't think I've ever been this confused by Toronto politics.

No, we have centrists and lefties arguing for a realistic transit plan that has a chance to get built because they want public transit. We have traditionally right-wing folks advocating a tax-and-spend approach without the actual taxes because they don't care if it ever gets built. Rob Ford is happy building public transit as long as (1) it doesn't cost "the taxpayer" any money and (2) it in no way inconveniences cars.

No, we have centrists and lefties arguing for a realistic transit plan that has a chance to get built because they want public transit. We have traditionally right-wing folks advocating a tax-and-spend approach without the actual taxes because they don't care if it ever gets built. Rob Ford is happy building public transit as long as (1) it doesn't cost "the taxpayer" any money and (2) it in no way inconveniences cars.

It's not Rob Ford I'm accusing of tax and spend policies, it's all the right-wingers that voted for him who approved of the taxing scheme/idea to pay for their subway to a mall. It seems conservative ideals only apply until they begin to affect the right-wingers personally. I'm all in favour of a tax/toll system to build a fund for transit improvement in the city, but I just think approval for it is coming from a very strange place.

The fact that it is hard to predict LTT revenues at the beginning of the year does not make it a better tax to have than the property tax. The very opposite, in fact.

MetroMan said:

The fact that it is hard to predict LTT revenues at the beginning of the year does not make it a better tax to have than the property tax. The very opposite, in fact.

What part of that quote above suggests that LTT is a "better" tax than property tax?

Oh sorry. I was responding to this idiotic debate going on in the media this week. Ford supporters says "the surplus is big so our guy is doing a good job". The opposition says "the surplus is due to high LTT revenues which Ford wants to cancel".

Both sides miss the point that the year end surplus happens just because the City can't predict revenues and expenses perfectly at the start of the budget year. It is not a sign of a good job, or a good tax. It is a sign of bad forecasting, period.

Oh sorry. I was responding to this idiotic debate going on in the media this week. Ford supporters says "the surplus is big so our guy is doing a good job". The opposition says "the surplus is due to high LTT revenues which Ford wants to cancel".

Both sides miss the point that the year end surplus happens just because the City can't predict revenues and expenses perfectly at the start of the budget year. It is not a sign of a good job, or a good tax. It is a sign of bad forecasting, period.

If Rob Ford is smart (insert laughter here), he should wait until the real estate bubble bursts and then remove the Land Transfer Tax as an insensitive to stop the downslide.

This is getting silly.

Ford mugs a well known reporter in a city park, and then phones the police to complain?

Why haven't the police arrested him already for fake 9-1-1 calls? Anyone else pulled this crap, they'd be arrested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back