News   Mar 28, 2024
 997     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 556     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 848     0 

G-20 Summit in Toronto

I find it weird that authorities in both Canada and the USA go into a state of panic and security hysteria when there are public demonstrations and marches of any significant size. Look at the kind of large regular demos that most European capitals have had over the last decade, whether the issues have been domestic (e.g. the usual lycée students or union demos in Paris) or international (e.g. the mega demos against the 2003 Iraq invasion), sometimes involving 100's of thousands of people.

Is this because people are usually more passive politically in N.A., so that any kind of mass political expression seems out of place, or at least devalued, because not socially or politically "efficient", i.e. yield influence and outcomes in some way? Honestly, I have no explanations or ideas... what do you think is the reason for such fear of, and repressive reaction to, democratic expression in an ostensibly democratic country like Canada?

The PMO in this country is acting like an oligarchy, anybody surprised.

I'll just add in that the only way we're actually gonna get some change for the better is if we show that we want this change.

Idk, maybe North Americans just have a bigger problem with that change or deviance from the norm than Europeans do? Still, I would have thought that Canada would be a lot more like Europe, maybe even more lenient. So I guess that it does mostly boil down to Harper bringing his iron fist down on protesters. Can we get him outta here yet?

Queen's Quay is closed eastbound and down to one lane westbound as they erect the fence around the Westin Hotel. Yeesh, the event is over two weeks away!

I think a big part of the problem is that the authorities here have no idea of what they're doing. When in doubt overcompensate.

I've been in NYC at the various summits when over a hundred heads of state and government were present at the United Nations at one time and the security was nowhere near as expensive and obvious as it is here in Toronto. On the other hand that security was probably better than it will be here.

The big difference is that the NYPD and the US Secret Service, as well as the Euros and Asians, know what they are doing.

Call me suspicious, but think of who benefits frm OT required, and that vis-a-vis the constituency of the government of the day.

AoD

I find it weird that authorities in both Canada and the USA go into a state of panic and security hysteria when there are public demonstrations and marches of any significant size. Look at the kind of large regular demos that most European capitals have had over the last decade, whether the issues have been domestic (e.g. the usual lycée students or union demos in Paris) or international (e.g. the mega demos against the 2003 Iraq invasion), sometimes involving 100's of thousands of people.

Is this because people are usually more passive politically in N.A., so that any kind of mass political expression seems out of place, or at least devalued, because not socially or politically "efficient", i.e. yield influence and outcomes in some way? Honestly, I have no explanations or ideas... what do you think is the reason for such fear of, and repressive reaction to, democratic expression in an ostensibly democratic country like Canada?

I think your theory about the passivity of North Americans may be right. Even something as simple as an outdoor concert becomes a major 'security' event, with crowd barriers, tons of police and even more private security firms. I remember the Canada day celebrations of old in Ottawa, where tens of thousands of people would flock downtown without any problems. Then they started to make 'security' an issue, and you'd see teams of police prowling around looking for who knows what. Simple events are treated like potential threats, so no wonder that the G20 is being treated as if it's the apocalypse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Summit will see snipers perched on rooftops

Top military snipers who served in Afghanistan will be stationed on the rooftops of highrises around the Metro Convention Centre when leaders of the G20 countries meet June 26-27, officials say.

The snipers — the elite of the Canadian Forces — are among 1,600 out-of-town officers starting to arrive in Toronto this week to help members of an Integrated Security Unit protect the more than 20 world leaders at the summit.

RCMP Sgt. Michele Paradis refused to comment on the sharpshooters or their security operations.

The increased security has led to sections of the downtown ringed by a 10-foot wire fence and has forced Toronto Police to post cadets at the doors of their College St. headquarters, asking visitors to show identification before they’re allowed inside.

Police said visitors soon may have to show documents to enter other city-owned buildings. City hall officials said they have no plans to do the same.

Officers said marine traffic will be banned from the inner Toronto Harbour during the G20 and officers in boats will be on patrol. Some underground garages will be shut next week as a safety precaution, police said.

The convention centre was filled with police activity Tuesday as officers secured meeting rooms.

Police have removed light standards from a parkette near the convention centre to create a helipad to shuttle world leaders away from protesters.

Paradis said 99.9% of the demonstrators are expected to be law-abiding.

“It’s that small amount of people coming here to break the law that we have to worry about,” Paradis said. “We will support lawful protests and demonstrations.”

Const. Wendy Drummond said most of the 3.3 km of fencing around the centre and Harbour Castle Westin Hotel has been installed and checkpoints will be announced soon.

Drummond said a booking facility has been opened on Eastern Ave., to process and hold those arrested during demonstrations until they can have bail hearings.

“It is a facility for mass arrests,” she said. “People will be held here as they await court proceedings.”

Meanwhile, Steam Whistle Brewery workers are stocking up the shelves at bars and have relocated their distribution centre to outside of the security zone.

Company spokesman Sybil Taylor said about 15 weekend workers will be affected by the G20.

“We have prepared ourselves,” Taylor said. “All our workers have been accredited but there will be a disruption of traffic flow.”

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/06/15/14401666.html

ya we were told weeks ago that we weren't allowed on our roof the week of the event. Crazy to know there's snipers waiting to pick someone off basically on top of my house.

It seems to me that Canada (and particularly Ontario) has a fear of unruliness. Look at our liquor laws. Look at how much redtape goes into something as simple as Pedestrian Sundays in Kensington. I'm not sure why that is because it's not like we have a long history of loose leashes leading to disastrous events.

I just walked past the railway museum on Bremner - 'they' have dug up all the young trees they planted about 3 weeks ago. Yes, I can just see people pulling them up and throwing them at Mr. Harper! One hopes that some of the Billion Dollars (and growing) will go into new trees.

Back