News   Mar 28, 2024
 320     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 339     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 698     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Goldie, you've saved me several hundred dollars. I think I'll finally give Photoshop a try and stop lens shopping.

And my cut of your savings will only be 10%!

By the way, when I bought my PS Elements last year (Version 9), it was packaged along with Adobe Premier 9 (video editing software).
The package for the two was less than another box with PS Elements alone - I've never used Premier, but it seemed odd to get two for less than the price of one.

Pape-Harcourt2012.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Wow, your on John & sava lambou's parents porch! Went to school with both of them, still friends with Sava today.

On topic, they did a great job with that church, hopefully, the people doing St Clements on jones will do as good a job as the river dale church on Pape.

You can do it with PS Elements, so you do not have to get the expensive one.

And my cut of your savings will only be 10%!

By the way, when I bought my PS Elements last year (Version 9), it was packaged along with Adobe Premier 9 (video editing software).
The package for the two was less than another box with PS Elements alone - I've never used Premier, but it seemed odd to get two for less than the price of one.

Thanks gentlemen, I need to get over my fear of software; always afraid I'll replace an original file with something that I somehow managed to make worse. :)

Wow, your on John & sava lambou's parents porch! Went to school with both of them, still friends with Sava today.

On topic, they did a great job with that church, hopefully, the people doing St Clements on jones will do as good a job as the river dale church on Pape.[/QUOTE]

Toronto really is a small town isn't it? I mean it. Talk to someone who has even visited and they will have interacted with someone you know or shopped somewhere where someone you know works or worked. Ok, a little exaggeration perhaps - a few more degrees of separation perhaps but you catch my drift.

Then and Now for March 16.

Then. 'New Merchants Bank, 16 King Street West, Toronto. Darling and Pearson, Architects.' c1921. Another wwwebster sourced picture.

A search of the online Toronto Archives using search term 'Yonge King' yields a few pictures of the neither distinguished nor undistinguished predecessor of our 1921 building at this location. However, this Palladian gem stood - I'm guessing - until the early 1960s when it was demolished for the existing building, so it wasn't around for long; only about 40 years.

45412-16KingWestc1921.jpg

Late in 1921 The Merchants Bank ran into difficulties and was absorbed by The Bank of Montreal.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20813FB3A5A1B7A93C5A81789D95F458285F9

Now. September 2011.

455.jpg

@ Mustapa "Thanks gentlemen, I need to get over my fear of software; always afraid I'll replace an original file with something that I somehow managed to make worse." Stay well away from Printshop for Windows 7 -- many less features than the program for XP, which cannot be upgraded..PFFT!

That Merchants' Bank looks like pretty flat-fronted second-tier D+P. Maybe that reflected the bank's incipient difficulties...

Military Trail thru Highland Creek valley - looking E., Scarborough - 1920 & 2012

military-trailoverHighlandCreek1920.jpg

military-trailoverHighlandCreek2012.jpg

That Merchants' Bank looks like pretty flat-fronted second-tier D+P. Maybe that reflected the bank's incipient difficulties...

It's all cladding I'm sure but it's still dignified enough as well as a change of pace for Toronto at that time...

Back