Toronto 1181 Sheppard Avenue East | 126.85m | 38s | Concord Adex | DIALOG

I agree. That is a crazy amount of parking considering its location. I wonder how many employees will be working here.

I am also pleased that this will add some jobs to the Sheppard Line mix,

And probably reversing the commuter traffic somewhat at that (more heading east in the morning and west in the evening).

... does a 600,000 sq.ft building need 1100 parking spaces regardless of the fact it is literally beside a TTC/GO connection?

I've seen what a mess traffic is like here on the weekends when IKEA is going full swing. What's it like during business hours?

And probably reversing the commuter traffic somewhat at that (more heading east in the morning and west in the evening).

I've seen what a mess traffic is like here on the weekends when IKEA is going full swing. What's it like during business hours?

Around 5pm, it often takes 15 minutes to drive from Bayview to Provost (or vice versa). It's a traffic disaster from roughly Bayview to Warden. Even extending the subway to Victoria Park would be good for reverse commuters, but only a full line from Downsview to Scarborough would make a serious dent in Sheppard car traffic. Over time, I expect the IKEA novelty will wear off a bit, if it hasn't already...the road connection under the rail corridor should also help with IKEA traffic.

I didn't translate the size in square meters so easily : - ) Yea 600,000 is quite a bit. It's possible the parking will be used for other purposes as well.

This is perfect in many ways ... neighborhoods are really not successful unless they have a mix of offices / commercial / residential.

I think there is a chance that CT employees who wouldn't have considered driving to the office on Y&E due to the congestion on both Yonge and Eglington during rush hours might consider driving to the new location given its accessibility to hwys 401 and 404/DVP.

It would also be interesting to know how many CT employees currently park at Fairview and then TTC it down to Y&E. If that is the case, why wouldn't these individuals drive another block to the new office?

Does Canadian Tire really need almost 600,000 sq.ft of office space?

We are bursting at the seams at the current head office at Yonge & Eglinton, and as it was already said, this new location will bring people together from other offices across the GTA. One of the main reasons for the move was that Canadian Tire wanted to save money by owning their own building. The Yonge/Eglinton building will most likely be leased out to another company.

As for parking, MANY people at head office require cars in order to travel from store to store. The TTC is not convenient for these people. The rest who do take the TTC will still have that option with the new location.

That's a really good point regarding requiring cars ... I can see why that's the case and why the TTC (even if it was perfect) wouldn't work.

How much of the building do you currently lease at Eglinton btw ... all of it correct?

That's a really good point regarding requiring cars ... I can see why that's the case and why the TTC (even if it was perfect) wouldn't work.

How much of the building do you currently lease at Eglinton btw ... all of it correct?

We have most of it. I know TVO is also in the building. Not sure who else.

Edit: I wonder if Canadian Tire is going to move the Marks Work Warehouse head office and the Part Source head office into this new building. There are also offices at Canadian Tire's Retail City which could potentially be moved to this building too. It would be nice to have everyone under one roof.

Last edited:
City Planning Final Report

Canadian Tire Head Office will soon be moving ~

Staff report recommending approval for an 18 storey (75.2 metres) office building with 7.5 FSI (holy smokes !! :D) with 7 levels of underground parking (would you look at that !) ... to be considered by North York Community Council on June 23, 2009

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-21923.pdf

Great news. I love how it will front Sheppard and there seems to be a clause where the developer must enter into an "entrance agreement" with the TTC for Leslie Station. Does this mean that the building will have direct access to Leslie?

I am slightly disapointed, however, that the design will not reflect the setback prinicples of the Sheppard Secondary Plan. I was under the impression that all buildings along the "avenue" would be 6 storeys and additional floors would be set back further from the street.

Despite this, I'm looking forward to this office tower breaking up the residential cluster that will eventually go here. Hopefully the architectual features are at least interesting and not mere copy-cats of the anticipated concord towers.

Glad to see this going forward, even with the ridiculous 7 storey parking garage.

Great news. I love how it will front Sheppard and there seems to be a clause where the developer must enter into an "entrance agreement" with the TTC for Leslie Station. Does this mean that the building will have direct access to Leslie?

I am slightly disapointed, however, that the design will not reflect the setback prinicples of the Sheppard Secondary Plan. I was under the impression that all buildings along the "avenue" would be 6 storeys and additional floors would be set back further from the street.

Despite this, I'm looking forward to this office tower breaking up the residential cluster that will eventually go here. Hopefully the architectual features are at least interesting and not mere copy-cats of the anticipated concord towers.

Yes, there will be an underground connection (with a tiny shopping concourse, probably just a convenience store and Tim Horton's) to Leslie. I imagine it'll used by a fair number of Park Placers.

This building won't really even front Sheppard, it'll front a hill overlooking Sheppard where it goes under the GO line, where there's no current or future streetwall to worry about. It makes little to no sense to have 6 storey buildings along Sheppard, closest to the subway stations, while the taller towers get stuck in behind.

Not saying it makes sense but, as the secondary plan states, the concept for Sheppard is to have mid-rise, 6-storey structures front Sheppard with the taller ones set back. I read the site plan to look as if the front runs along Sheppard (I could be wrong) so I wonder why they're not pushing this aspect of the Secondary Plan.

Either way, great density for a subway node and hopefully it will have direct connection to Leslie.

There's a perfectly good, 100% empty, office building on St. Clair for sale that could have worked?

Ah, guess not ...

Back