News   Apr 18, 2024
 297     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Ryerson: Master Plan

There has been a significant improvement in street and landscaping on and near the Ryerson campus. Three cheers for their attempts to ease the pain of some of that horrible architecture.

More of a "mess" than the ROM Crystal or the Royal Conservatory reno? Or the L Tower? I can think of a lot of examples of new integrated with old that look completely awesome. Unity doesn't have to mean everything has to look the same. That strikes me as an extremely shallow or limited view of architecture and design. The conceptual rendering is a perfect example. They've replicated Jorgenson's shape, but use modern materials.

That is your opinion, and I gave mine. You don't need to go on to say I have a shallow view of design. I didn't say unity has to be the same. Unity is, well, unity. And in my opinion it was lacking.

But enough about that. You mentioned they replicated Jorgenson's shape, but isn't this to go beside the library building, not Jorgenson? (Or is the library just considered part of it)

But enough about that. You mentioned they replicated Jorgenson's shape, but isn't this to go beside the library building, not Jorgenson? (Or is the library just considered part of it)

the names are usually interchanged. i know a lot of people who call the library jorgenson and vice versa. i usually consider the whole thing as one building complex called jorgenson which includes the 2 tower and podium.

That is your opinion, and I gave mine. You don't need to go on to say I have a shallow view of design. I didn't say unity has to be the same. Unity is, well, unity. And in my opinion it was lacking.

Though re an earlier point I offered, I sense a message here that to you perhaps, the Jorgenson complex either defies or isn't worth said "unity", short of blowing up and starting over...

I've always referred to "Jorgenson" as the distinctive concrete box with the horizontal slits of windows ( the Library building ) that glows at night like an alien spacecraft, even though the Hall is actually the less interesting-looking building to the north of it.

Wal Mart store set a sight to open a store in downtown. Friend of mine who works Ryerson University told me that Wal Mart Canada opens a discussion to Ryerson University in order to sign a deal or long term lease to occupy first or ground level for Ryerson’s learning centre which is currently under construction plan. If the deal is done it will be first Wal-Mart flagship store to open at Yonge and Dundas

Attachments

• Ryerson.jpg
    Ryerson.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 361
  • picresized_1221298991_Ryersonuniver.jpg
    picresized_1221298991_Ryersonuniver.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 405
Wal-mart? THERE??? what is this world coming to?

... Actually, I'm hoping for an Ikea somewhere in the downtown in the near future. That would be kickass. As a student on a budget, I could see myself surviving off of $1 breakfasts.

Wal-mart? THERE??? what is this world coming to?

... Actually, I'm hoping for an Ikea somewhere in the downtown in the near future. That would be kickass. As a student on a budget, I could see myself surviving off of $1 breakfasts.

I wouldnt mind an Ikea. They do share the Ryerson colours afterall!

In today's Toronto Star...

Ryerson plan links old to Yonge
University's presence on downtown's most important street should help revitalize both
September 15, 2008

Daniel Girard
URBAN AFFAIRS REPORTER

Here comes the neighbourhood.

Ryerson University, long known as the school behind Sam the Record Man, is poised for a breakthrough. Literally.

It's taking over the former retailer's site, securing a long-coveted Yonge St. address.

While the university's new library and student learning centre will occupy only the upper floors of a couple of stores north of the Eaton Centre, it's seen by many as a chance to offer a much-needed boost to a tired section of downtown's most important street.

"We see this as the next phase of regeneration of the area," says James Robinson, executive director of the Downtown Yonge Business Improvement Area.

"And it's coming from an institution – a university – you wouldn't really think of as being a leader of one's downtown regeneration," says Robinson, whose organization represents 2,000 business and property owners. "It's a tremendous vision. It's very exciting."

The Ryerson vision is about much more than just one building, which has yet to even be designed.

At its core is the master plan. Released earlier this year, the 139-page document, prepared by architects and urban planners, is more manifesto than blueprint, focusing on themes rather than sketches.

Its main theme is the inextricable link between Ryerson and the centre of Canada's largest city. While real estate will be purchased if possible, the plan recognizes that, unlike the University of Toronto and York University, the school has virtually nowhere to grow but up. Intensification of the existing campus, it says, offers more than 1 million square feet of added space.

It also focuses on "putting people first." That includes closing Gould St. to traffic for at least part of the main east-west artery across campus, paving the way for a pedestrian precinct. The plan also envisions opening up the university's well-hidden green space, the Quad.

The master plan also makes a commitment to "design excellence," a catch-all for buildings that look good, offer mixed use in the form of educational space alongside retail or residential, and a recognition that because Ryerson cannot afford to go it alone – in purchases or development – private-sector partners will be needed.

Technically, Ryerson's new photography gallery, which will house the renowned 300,000-item Black Star Collection, will be built first under the master plan. It's slated to open in early 2010 on Gould St.

But the transformation of the old Sam's site, bought this year in a $40 million deal for four properties, will be the most closely scrutinized.

"There is so much riding on this development," says Toronto Councillor Kyle Rae, whose ward includes Ryerson, and Yonge St. from Bloor to Queen. "It's not just about the vibrancy of Yonge St. and Ryerson, it's about maximizing the space and density of downtown."

The master plan theme is focused on the university as "city-builder."

Toronto architect Michael Kirkland doesn't think much of that phrase. He cautions that the idea of revitalizing that stretch of Yonge St. is good, but "it's questionable if you can do it one building at a time."

It's not clear, he adds, that having university space above retail shops on Yonge St. will "have much of a revolutionary effect."

Consolidating the university's core and building a central square are good ideas, but Kirkland is skeptical of any push to "fully integrate" city and campus, noting it's more realistic to create "gateways and portals" – such as archways or lanes – between the two distinct areas than try to make them one.

Rae counters that Ryerson's development of the former site of Sam's and the Future Shop, "continues the momentum" of rejuvenation that began with Dundas Square and includes the newly minted Toronto Life Square.

In fact, it's already a de facto part of the campus. Half of the 24 theatres in the mall's AMC multiplex are used for morning lectures, and the food court is a hit with students.

And with Aura, a 75-storey condominium tower billed as Canada's tallest, set to rise at the corner of Yonge and Gerrard Sts. on the campus's northern boundary, Ryerson president Sheldon Levy believes the university's development on Yonge could kick-start a cleanup of the block's entire east side.

But Levy is adamant the university is not trying to institutionalize Yonge St. The new site will feature "the most exciting and vibrant retail" at street level and maybe even one floor above and below, he says.

"We want to be part of the strength of the street. We don't want to create a dead zone."

And an additional article on the SAM sign...

SIGN SEALED AND DELIVERED: $150,000

Before Ryerson University puts its own sign on Yonge St., it has to take care of the one it's inherited.

The iconic marker of the long-time flagship Sam the Record Man store – two large neon discs with matching signs above and below – is about to come down as the university starts work on a new library and learning centre.

But unlike so many vinyl records before them, relegated to basements, attics and second-hand shops, these will be treated with reverence – gently removed and documented like artifacts from an archaeological excavation – refurbished and put into the new building.

"It's a great honour to be involved in saving such a great sign and making sure it will be back in all of its glory," says David Grose, national sales manager with Gregory Signs of Vaughan, which is doing the work.

Dismantling the sign will be an epic task taking up to three weeks, with a tab of $150,000.

Each "record" has 120 white neon tubes with corresponding transformers and flashing units that make it appear to be spinning. Every tube, bolt and wire as well as the sign's sheet-metal background will be lowered to the ground and crated.

Complicating the work is the fact the two discs – each 7.5 metres wide and 8 metres high – were built nearly a generation apart. The original dates to 1969, the second, just north, to 1987.

Neon letters spelling "SAM" – with 550 bulbs – were added atop each disc in 1987, as were back-lit signs, "Yes, this is SAM the Record Man," below them.

While the second disc was largely constructed off site and then attached, the original was crafted by crews on the spot, Grose says.

"It's truly one of a kind."

Daniel Girard

Saw representatives of several demolition companies being given a site tour of the former Future Shop and Sam buildings this morning. Things are moving forward...

Have others noticed the new Ryerson University "gates" on Gould just off Yonge? A pair of large blue metal posts, with "Ryerson" tacked onto the side. (I can't find any photos.) Any opinions from those who have seen them?

Have others noticed the new Ryerson University "gates" on Gould just off Yonge? A pair of large blue metal posts, with "Ryerson" tacked onto the side. (I can't find any photos.) Any opinions from those who have seen them?

Meh. Kinda tacky imo. They remind me of the posts with "Yonge" at every intersection.

I noticed them today and also thought they were kind of tacky. Had the poles been black, I think they would have looked much better.

Black is the Downtown Yonge BIA's colour: Ryerson's is blue, and they use it consistently for branding purposes. They need it to stand out from the BIA's street furniture anyway.

I saw them today and I liked them. They were a take-off of the Yonge-Downtown signs, except in Ryerson colours.

Hey, its a start. There has been more effort in landscaping by Ryerson this year than there has been by the school in the last 40 years.

Back