News   Mar 28, 2024
 136     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 289     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 654     0 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

I bet Kate Spade is coming. They were a sponsor for a TIFF event last year.

Samsung to open retail store in Canada

By Ian Hardy on April 3, 2012 at 8:05am in Mobile News

According to an article in the Financial Post, Samsung Canada is planning to open at least one retail location “later this year”, plus roll out more of these “store-within-a-store” concepts. Plans are still being worked out as to the specific location, but early guesses are that it’ll be in Toronto’s Yorkdale Mall.

Full article: http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/04/03/samsung-to-open-retail-store-in-canada/

The new floor leasing plan at Yorkdale lists the following stores to open soon (with some others relocating)

http://www.oxfordproperties.com/leasing/LoImages/rfp/57151_RFP.pdf

Kate Spade
Ted Baker
Microsoft
Ann Taylor
The North Face
Anthropologie
Wilfred
Papyrus
Superdry
Tesla Motors
Joey (Restaurant)
Hugo Boss (New or moving??)

Apple (moving) - tripling its size
Disney (moving)
Club Monaco (moving)

Might have missed some, but this is a heck of start to the new expansion.

Last edited:
It might be a lot of work (it was a lot of work first of all converting the retail thread to a retail sub-forum), but I'm thinking of splitting up this thread into the individual malls.

It might be a lot of work (it was a lot of work first of all converting the retail thread to a retail sub-forum), but I'm thinking of splitting up this thread into the individual malls.

Not a bad idea...perhaps splitting it up by property manager (i.e. Cadillac Fairview, Oxford, etc) - just a thought.

I expect that some of the still unannounced retailers will be DKNY (Toronto is more than due for one), Marc by Marc Jacobs, Theory, and TAG (though TAG might just be wishful thinking).

I started by copying some of the posts (since October 2011) to a new Yorkdale thread. Nothing moved yet.

Here's my plan:
The major malls all get their own threads for non-expansion, retail news

Yorkdale
Eaton Centre
Square One
Scarborough Town Centre
Fairview
etc...

And perhaps a new retailer speculation/multi-location thread for other news that would take the place of the non-mall specific discussion here.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/18712-Yorkdale-Mall-Retail

Last edited:
I've started moving posts relating to Eaton Centre and Yorkdale to their own threads. Other malls are on their way, so you can keep posting those here until I get to them.

I'll leave general retail multi-store or unannounced store news here.

Teaopia

I always thought these chains were very similar...

From The Atlanta Journal-Constitution: http://www.ajc.com/business/teavana-acquires-teaopia-canadian-1419055.html?cxtype=rss_business

Teavana acquires Teaopia, Canadian tea seller
By Arielle Kass
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

From the store layout to the sales systems to their heavenly names, Atlanta-based tea retailer Teavana has much in common with the Canadian company it announced on Monday that it is acquiring.

Despite the similarities, Teaopia's 46 stores don't make as much money as Teavana's do. And Canadians drink twice as much tea per capita as Americans do, the Atlanta company said. So Teavana, which started expanding into Canada late last year, believes there is plenty of room for improvement and for growth.

In a company conference call, Teavana chairman and CEO Andrew Mack said the Teaopia's average store revenue in its mall locations is less than half that of Teavana's, but that those Canadian locations are much of the appeal of the acquisition.

"You heard us say how important the right location within the right mall is for Teavana and how securing these premier locations is a critical piece of our strategy," Mack said. "With the Teaopia acquisition, we are instantly securing these prime locations in the Canadian market as the deal catapults us into the attractive locations."

Teavana, which went public last summer, paid $26.9 million for Teaopia. It said it expects integration costs to be low, as the companies share similar store layouts and operate on the same sales systems.

In a research note, Stifel Nicolaus analyst David Schick said the acquisition was a healthy one for the company as it expands internationally.

Teavana last September announced that it would open franchise stores in the Middle East. The company earlier had called international expansion a priority and described Canada as an attractive market and a logical first step for company-owned stores outside the U.S. By 2015, Teavana plans to have 500 locations; it currently has more than 200 stores.

J.Crew among new stores at Vaughan Mills: Retail News

Published on Wednesday August 01, 2012

If you haven’t paid a visit to Vaughan Mills recently, it might be worth the trek to the outlet mall this fall as they unveil a few new stores.

This little tidbit alone might get you racing to get there: J.Crew will be opening their first factory outlet store in Canada. The preppy American retailer will stock both men’s and women’s items and is scheduled to open in October.

UGG will also be opening an outlet this fall and DKNY is scheduled to open an outlet next March in the mall.

http://www.thestar.com/living/article/1234940--j-crew-among-new-stores-at-vaughan-mills-retail-news

So this is DKNY's first Toronto store which leads me to believe one is opening up at Yorkdale. There seems to be somewhat of a correlation between Vaughan Mills and other malls in the GTA.

Back