Toronto Pinewood Toronto Studios | 10m | 1s | Pinewood Group | HOK

In recent years it seems that its been mostly smaller films and TV productions here. I guess it was 'Chicago' that was the last big film or blockbuster filmed in TO.

'Chicago' was released in 2002. I recently watched "The A-Team" on DVD for some mindless action. One of the best parts was spotting and identifying the Toronto landmark in the background of the scene (or sometimes not just the background -- a key scene was filmed inside the Toronto Reference Library). It was released last year, so I guess that movie is among the most recent 'big' films to be shot in Toronto.

Last edited:
'Chicago' was released in 2002. I recently watched "The A-Team" on DVD for some mindless action. One of the best parts was spotting and identifying the Toronto landmark in the background of the scene (or sometimes not just the background -- a key scene was filmed inside the Toronto Reference Library). It was released last year, so I guess that movie is among the most recent 'big' films to be shot in Toronto.

RED (starring Bruce Willis, John Malkovich, etc) also came out last year, it has a good many "spot the TO location" moments in it. I think it was almost all shot here.

World Trade Centre with Nicolas Cage was filmed here in 2006 I think. Also, Yonge St. north of Dundas was transformed into 125th Street in Harlem for the making of The Hulk in 2007.

Application: New Building Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 30: Toronto-Danforth

Application#: 13 167357 BLD 00 NB Accepted Date: May 13, 2013

Project: Industrial New Building

Description: Proposal to construct a new 1 sty Communications and Broadcasting building. PS2 - Pinewood Studio's - New Studio/Flex Space - Building "B".

There was a story in several papers at the beginning of October stating that Pinewood was filing applications for more sound stages this month as well as more administration space. I am having trouble copying and pasting on my iPad but will post articles when able.

101 COMMISSIONERS ST
Ward 30 - Tor & E.York District

Site Plan Approval for a new film and television support facility (total 6,724.0 square metres).
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Site Plan Approval 16 200896 STE 30 SA Aug 3, 2016 Application Received

Can't say I'm surprised Pinewood is going for it. The industry as a whole is witnessing record employment numbers this year. Dozens of projects are happening across the GTA, with many more in the pipeline for years down the road. I'm hearing that Pinewood alone is supposed to be booked solid for the next four years or more with Star Trek.

Can't say I'm surprised Pinewood is going for it. The industry as a whole is witnessing record employment numbers this year. Dozens of projects are happening across the GTA, with many more in the pipeline for years down the road. I'm hearing that Pinewood alone is supposed to be booked solid for the next four years or more with Star Trek.

That's amazing -- what does four years of Star Trek get you? 2 or 3 movies? Why would they change from YVR/Dubai of the last flick?

Yep. TV. A huge series - it's going to keep a lot of GTA'ers very busy (and make them a good chunk of change) for quite a long time.

SyFy's The Expanse is filmed here as well - and it going into the 2nd Season. The SFX work is also local as well I believe.

AoD

Great news. Also super pumped about the new Star Trek series filming here.

Hope they reuse city hall this time around too... It still looks good and modern.

Back