Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

the 'OLD' design reminds me of the northern office complex part of the Eaton's centre ... span up:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ba...code_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCcQ8gEwAA

I liked the earlier Hariri Pontarini design because of its simplicity (especially in the podium) and subservience to the bank buildings. This one, with the wavy fritted glass balconies, and angled podium seems a bit too frilly for my tastes.

Edit: Let's take a look at it again, since the original renders have long since disappeared.

NEW:
urbantoronto-4708-15459.jpg

OLD:
1329863435_2012_02_21_01_28_07_massey_tower.png

Music won out over architecture: the suites were named after luminaries who have played at Massey Hall over the decades: Maria Callas, Gordon Lightfoot, Glenn Gould, Joni Mitchell, Charlie Parker, Ray Charles.....

Is there a Roxy Music suite? A Sparks suite? A Rough Trade suite? I might buy if there were - those were great concerts.

I'd be into a Bill Maher, Kathy Griffin or Tangerine Dream suite. Yes, Tangerine Dream for sure. It just sounds right, and boy did they sound great at Massey Hall in the 80's.

I remember a time when this area was considered a little sketchy and potentially dangerous after working hours, void of nightlife, and just plain drab.

That time was 5 minutes ago.

Good luck spec-u-vestors. This 'hood will not hold up during any slowdown.

I remember a time when this area was considered a little sketchy and potentially dangerous after working hours, void of nightlife, and just plain drab.

That time was 5 minutes ago.

Good luck spec-u-vestors. This 'hood will not hold up during any slowdown.

Dangerous? Really? I can't imagine what you fear could happen to you when you walk down this stretch of Yonge.

Yonge between Gould and Gerrard is a different story.

Music won out over architecture: the suites were named after luminaries who have played at Massey Hall over the decades: Maria Callas, Gordon Lightfoot, Glenn Gould, Joni Mitchell, Charlie Parker, Ray Charles.....

Perhaps it has been corrected, but the floor plans I've seen floating online say "Glen Gould suite" and "Ravi Shanker suite". Maybe their names are copyrighted so they had to spelled incorrectly? Anyway, I like the homage to musicians. It seems right for a building on Yonge Street too.

Didn't have to dig too deep for that one:

SIU Identifies Man Shot Outside Eaton Centre
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/09/21/eaton-centre-shooting-siu_n_974609.html

And that was only 6 months ago!

Someone was shot in the parking lot outside of Sherway Gardens just two days ago. Are you afraid of going to Sherway now too?

The fact is that random acts of violence happen all over the city. If you consider one incident every few months to be dangerous, then by your definition the entire City of Toronto is a crime-infested hellscape. There are a few places in the city that are genuinely dangerous; I wouldn't consider the area adjacent to the Eaton Centre to be one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, Ramako.

One also has to consider that once Massey Tower is built that all the new eyes on the street here will only improve the safety of the area anyway… which is not a serious problem now. I've never once felt unsafe exiting the Elgin or Winter Garden theatres, nor Massey Hall, and I wouldn't hesitate to live here either… if there were a Bruce Cockburn suite.

Back