Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

`
mlgm11.jpg

Is that an escalator?

After the fabulous job that they are doing here...im so surprised that the city is still holding them back on the future Loblaws lower Bathurst street retrofit. Crazy:confused:

Given the good work they're doing here, I'm surprised they want to demolish that Art Deco warehouse on Bathurst, especially since it's part of their own heritage as a company.

Given the good work they're doing here, I'm surprised they want to demolish that Art Deco warehouse on Bathurst, especially since it's part of their own heritage as a company.

Come-on...You make it look so sweet and yet so sad of a loss..:confused:

want to demolish as opposed to
reusing a building that probably has very few other potential uses

that Art Deco warehouse on Bathurst as opposed to the
Once a shining triumph of art-deco design, the decaying building that sits at the corner of Bathurst Street

since it's part of their own heritage as a company as opposed to
preserve the heritage façades and permit the development of retail floor space including a Loblaws food store and office uses.

I see where youre coming from.. but its time for this development to move on..

Sadly, no.

Mods: apologies if this getting off-topic. Move it to the appropriate thread if you feel necessary.

Come-on...You make it look so sweet and yet so sad of a loss..:confused:

want to demolish as opposed to
reusing a building that probably has very few other potential uses

The plan isn't to reuse it, though. The fact is that spaces like this one look suitable for a grocery store. Facade preservation means the loss of heritage spaces like this 1930s panelled staircase with exquisite railings. The connection to the railway will probably no longer be apparent, which will be a loss as railway freight in downtown becomes an ever distant memory. Numerous warehouse conversion projects in this city have shown these spaces to be versatile.

that Art Deco warehouse on Bathurst as opposed to the Once a shining triumph of art-deco design, the decaying building that sits at the corner of Bathurst Street
It's no triumph of design but the architecture is commendable. The owner has no one but themselves to account for any present decay. One can't sympathize for them.

since it's part of their own heritage as a company as opposed to preserve the heritage façades and permit the development of retail floor space including a Loblaws food store and office uses.
The entire structure is a part of their heritage and the city's.

I see where youre coming from.. but its time for this development to move on..
Of course, but now's the time to determine the direction to move in, and one is more advantageous. I believe there's not much stopping one of the richest corporations in the country from moving in the direction of preservation and reuse but their own narrow interests. It's only to them that it has few uses because as a chain grocer, they just don't do many things besides selling food. But they can buy or lease whatever property they want. I can't make apologies for them and insist the record is set straight before any damage happens, not twenty years when it's too late.

Back