Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

flame me if you want. But this tower looks too thin beside the Scotia Plaza. It almost look out of place in the middle of much grander towers.

that's one way of thinking of it, the other, is that it mixes things up a bit (which is good), it's nice that it adds variety to the bunch... most of the major towers in the CBD have very large footprints... this one is sleek and slender. :)

Trump is built right to the property lines, on a very small lot. How would it not look thin?

What do you propose they should have developed on the property?

That's what whippersnapper at SSP said. That's the reason the planned height was reduced from over 1000 feet, to 930 feet.

Ah, interesting. That's the first time I've heard that as an explanation for the reduction in height.

The 'official' reason was that the mix of condo sizes, which market demand shifted to smaller single-bedroom or studio units from larger units, would have overloaded the elevators at the original floor count, which may very well be true (smaller units = more owners/renters = more elevator passengers). But the reason that the elevator capacity was so limited in the first place was that the building floor plate was so small after the National Club refused to sell.

Sept 25:

6183244650_4ef60ebc33_o.jpg

I've wondered about this for the past few hours (yes. i have no life),

Why does the spire (white part) end so abruptly/aka, why doesn't it look like it hits the bottom (concrete) on the north-west corner???. and i understand that the spire isn't really in place yet, it sorta sticks out a bit right (not height wise)?

and might i add, Jasonzed's 2nd pic just proves how amazing this looks, and what a nice contribution it is to the CBD. it fills in a gap, and goes the extra mile of adding a spire... fantastic!

I've wondered about this for the past few hours (yes. i have no life),

Why does the spire (white part) end so abruptly/aka, why doesn't it look like it hits the bottom (concrete) on the north-west corner???. and i understand that the spire isn't really in place yet, it sorta sticks out a bit right (not height wise)?
It doesn't end abruptly. Most of the spire is painted white, but part of it is a grey-colour similar to the rest of the onion dome steel.

The grey part is what sits on the concrete at the north-west corner.

It doesn't end abruptly. Most of the spire is painted white, but part of it is a grey-colour similar to the rest of the onion dome steel.

The grey part is what sits on the concrete at the north-west corner.

kk. makes sense,... wow, that spire is taller than i thought it would look, i'm sure there is a lighting rod atop it right??? gonna be a hot spot for lighting in the city... can't wait till the full LED strip is installed on the spire, gonna be way more visible at night!

who's down to climb the spire tonight?

Back